Workbench design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloc75

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from my Tenon's discussion, I thought I would share the latest design I have based on some of the feedback on an image I shared.

So these were some of the issues.

1. No space for feet
2. Nothing to hold the work
3. Space to work

I probably missed a bunch, but I didn't want to go too far from my design as it's multi-purpose, so will have an integrated Table Saw, and maybe a Router table.

Couple of things I've not added to the worktop is some dog holes, those are going to be added once I have figured out my cut outs for my integrated tools. I also added a tortion box as my worktop, based on Matt Estlea's design.

EDIT - Forgot to say that this design is more filled out under the worktop, draws and other kinds of storage, I thought I had mentioned it but must have forgotten. So yeah it looks flimsy, but I've turned off some of the components in my design while I worked on the frame some more. My mistake.

Workbench v4 v38.png

Last edited:
Hello again
I would call that an 'MFT' what you are proposing, rather than a workbench.
I'd say a lot of us are still unclear if you plan on having a real workbench in the workshop...
Have you the space for one?
One heavily built as not to rack, and with a solid top for too many reasons to mention for working by hand.
Or... if you plan on doing everything with electrons, like say that hooked on wood channel?

Tom

Ok yeah definitely as an MFT. I find myself cutting a lot of wood and I don't have the surface. I definitely have the room for those dimensions though. I also need the storage space, so lots of drawers beneath.

I also do a lot of sanding and finishing, and have recently got into refurbishing some of old guitars, so this kind of surface would be ideal for me to work on without getting cramped as it was before.

Currently I have a small foldable bench which I hate, you know those black and decker workmates? Well its not that its bad, its served me well, but its old and clunky. I also have a basic worktop with a small vice on, and it's just not big enough. So both of them will be making room.

Out of interest, what is the dark side?

Ok yeah definitely as an MFT. I find myself cutting a lot of wood and I don't have the surface. I definitely have the room for those dimensions though. I also need the storage space, so lots of drawers beneath.

I also do a lot of sanding and finishing, and have recently got into refurbishing some of old guitars, so this kind of surface would be ideal for me to work on without getting cramped as it was before.

Currently I have a small foldable bench which I hate, you know those black and decker workmates? Well its not that its bad, its served me well, but its old and clunky. I also have a basic worktop with a small vice on, and it's just not big enough. So both of them will be making room.

Out of interest, what is the dark side?

You may be tempted to bung your powertools away by Schwartz, but you must resist.

May the grain be with you.

I'd consider building something quick and cheap to start with say a 18mm ply 6'x34" top with a shelf 4x4 post legs and 4x2 rails and a 30" shelf below. Then you can find out what suits you without spending a fortune.

I then put a layer of 1 1/2 timber on top as I do more hand work.

Cheers James

I'd consider building something quick and cheap to start with say a 18mm ply 6'x34" top with a shelf 4x4 post legs and 4x2 rails and a 30" shelf below. Then you can find out what suits you without spending a fortune.

I then put a layer of 1 1/2 timber on top as I do more hand work.

Cheers James

I know what I want it to do, I've done plenty of research. I also built a potting bench for my girlfriend and it was customised to what she wanted, so I've got experience. If this fails then it fails - I try again.

I have to say, I grew up with my parents who had lots of plans for stuff they wanted to do, and they hardly did anything - and then they lost the house and although they are happy now, they don't have anything to show for their ambitions.

I am a self-taught musician, software engineer and hopefully pretty handy with the tools I have.

When I moved into this house 2 years ago, its a new build, so we had lots of plans on what we wanted to do. My girlfriend wanted a potting bench, so we built one. I wanted a full width floating desk with fancy lights underneath it for my computers, so I built one.

I don't do limitations, I know it's kind of a British way of thinking, didn't used to be. So if there is something I want to do, and I believe that I can do it. As long as I have researched exactly what I want to do. Planned it out thoroughly, then I see absolutely no reason why it can't be done.

I also have a pretty decent job that pays decent. I don't do pubs and clubs, 3k holidays, I'm happy to spend money on something I enjoy - because we can't take it with us.

If you're questioning why one would want solid timber for a bench top,
and at the same time wishing for a planer thicknesser like Matt's, then I've gotta ask, how you proposing to do any of the wood prep.
Maybe you have a cheaper one and the power supply to match, or you are planning that soon.
But if that's down the road yet, then how will you get by prepping your timber until then?
In many folks minds, this would be one of, if not 'the' most important fundamental skill to be able to achieve, before doing anything else.
If this is going to be the only bench in the workshop, then that is what I would be tailoring everything else around, compared to the opposite
way you are wanting to design things.

Might make sense if you have great machinery, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone working proficiently with a hollow or lightweight bench.
Have you ever seen anyone really use a hand plane on a bench like that?

I presume there's some folk who are making it seem that way, as this idea seems to be cropping up lately.

I don't see any laminations nor suggestions of it,
and strange/weak looking design of the legs,
It all looks a bit skimpy to me, and I reckon it would wobble about.

Have you got any reason to design the base like that?
If all you need is storage, then might be worth looking into some traditional designs with M&T's which will dictate dimensions for a bit more heft.
Bar the Roubo for one, most of the traditional designs use sturdy basis without needing a top to be attached to make rigid.
That might not be a bad idea if you're set on having the clutter, sorry, I mean tools, integrated into the design.

A floating top will make things easier to swap if you decide you need a proper hefty thing to work on instead...
The trouble with designing a traditional base is if you decide to go that route afterwards, the bench would be much higher.

Am I making sense yet, in suggesting that you could really do with a workbench for hand tools in there as more of a priority than an MFT.

Tom

Well I'm not really after anything for hand tools in probably what most would consider the norm. I'm not going to be doing much chiselling. I'm mainly going to be using this for power tools.

The design will be much more sturdy, as I've said it's going to have storage, so cupboards and draws are going to strengthen the structure. I could also easily add a few more legs, to which the storage can join with.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm assuming from the comment about integrated power tools in the design, I am actually on the wrong forum. Which is fine. People get precious over what they do for a living, and newbies who rock up are sometimes scoffed at. Way of the internet I'm afraid. If that wasn't the intention, then that's also fine.

Well I didn't think so. But recently I've definitely felt some. If it's me being overly sensitive, then I apologise.

I see why the legs look a bit odd. But I think that's because I've added feet to raise it up so I can get my feed under if need be.

Would it be unthinkable to have the sides of the base dovetail into the legs?

Back