Workbench design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are probably on the best forum in regards to all things woodworking,
as there is quite a varied expertise on all subjects.

Just wish to emphasize the importance for planing as the core of all things of all woodworking, unless you wish to work exclusively with sheet goods.
You might indeed be thinking of a router sled for surfacing.
Whichever way you do it, wood prep needs to be done.

That would absolutely be my first priority,
You haven't addressed how you are doing that,
(I'm guessing is me, that might be coming across as unhelpful or whatever the word might be)
Sorry about that.

Must have a wee think about some nice examples of bases with in built
storage, Derek Cohen's about the first one comes to mind.
Should be easy to find, as it's recent.

A great tool you have for design, I'd be virtually hacking apart traditional designs if I were you.

Tom

We all have different ideas and different ways of working, you obviously have the commitment and get go to get things done so good on you, personally I wouldn’t know what on earth to do with all those holes but that’s part of life‘s rich tapestry. Ian

You are probably on the best forum in regards to all things woodworking,
as there is quite a varied expertise on all subjects.

Just wish to emphasize the importance for planing as the core of all things of all woodworking, unless you wish to work exclusively with sheet goods.
You might indeed be thinking of a router sled for surfacing.
Whichever way you do it, wood prep needs to be done.

That would absolutely be my first priority,
You haven't addressed how you are doing that,
(I'm guessing is me, that might be coming across as unhelpful or whatever the word might be)
Sorry about that.

Must have a wee think about some nice examples of bases with in built
storage, Derek Cohen's about the first one comes to mind.
Should be easy to find, as it's recent.

A great tool you have for design, I'd be virtually hacking apart traditional designs if I were you.

Tom

Probably a bit of me. Stuff getting to me a little.

Ok, well lets start again. How do you mean wood prep? Obviously I don't have the money for a thickener, well, not that missus would be happy about me spending money on. Unless there is decently priced one that is portable.

I was going to add a PS to my post, but computer says no.

Your Paulk core design may lend a hand if you were to decide to swap it/
integrate a proper top into some of it.
I'd personally design the base around that, as in getting it the right height
or making it so you could trim a bit off/adding a shim without something like the legs or strechers being in the way.

We all have different ideas and different ways of working, you obviously have the commitment and get go to get things done so good on you, personally I wouldn’t know what on earth to do with all those holes but that’s part of life‘s rich tapestry. Ian

Well initially I was going to use them as cubby holes, not even sure if the term exists, but they are known as 'Cubbies' in my design application - well that's what I labelled them. So I was going to use them to hold various things such as pencils, or craft knife, I don't know - just thought they would be useful. But then I got inspired by Matt Estlea's design, and I'm still kind of thinking about them. Aesthetically I like them.

I was going to add a PS to my post, but computer says no.

Your Paulk core design may lend a hand if you were to decide to swap it/
integrate a proper top into some of it.
I'd personally design the base around that, as in getting it the right height
or making it so you could trim a bit off/adding a shim without something like the legs or strechers being in the way.

Ok, well I was going to pinch the base in, so the top was wider and longer, and I may still do that. It would feel more sturdy, especially if I end up putting castors on the bottom.

I don't know if there's decent surface planers that are any good.
I got one from a mate, and it was unusable for me, as in
sounded like a rocket with its screaming universal motor, and the top bit of tin plate was damaged, so junk.
Tried to give it back to him, was happy to be rid of it and said I saved him a trip to the dump.
Some say the lunchbox thicknessers are alright, but again universal motor, not a quiet induction motor.

I don't have the funds for a proper surface planer or a thicknesser,
The surface planer is to get a flat face or edge, the thicknesser would make a perfectly thicknessed profiled banana if the timber was bowed going in.

Basically saying its faffery to have one without the other without having a plane or two.
One can make do without all that, with a good bench.
Some folks like Cosman, Klausz, Charlesworth, etc keeping the bench from getting damaged so they can use the top as a reference for planing.
Those folk who do or demonstrate this, generally have a thick slab usually laminated and will resist deforming and can be flattened again if it moves.
Often a precision instrument for those who don't have a planer and don't want to sand, as Cosman jokes I've never coughed out a shaving.

All the best
Tom

So just that I understand you, are you talking about me prepping the wood that I am going to use for the bench, or prepping wood that I will use for other projects on my bench?

Because I am very familiar with banana shaped pine from our local merchant, and having the option to sort that before assembly would be useful.

My floating desk (about 2 and half metres) is made from oak and it was fine when it arrived and still good now - price was reflected in that.

Matt Estlea used this Valchromat stuff, which I'm interested in, shouldn't have any issues with that being all kind of shapes, but again price will reflect it.

Well initially I was going to use them as cubby holes, not even sure if the term exists, but they are known as 'Cubbies' in my design application - well that's what I labelled them. So I was going to use them to hold various things such as pencils, or craft knife, I don't know - just thought they would be useful. But then I got inspired by Matt Estlea's design, and I'm still kind of thinking about them. Aesthetically I like them.
No sorry, I meant the Matt Eastlea design with all the holes in the top I’ve seen several people on here refer to them but I can’t imagine what they’re all for.
Cubbies, yes I know what they are, the Americans have been keen on them for a long time.

No sorry, I meant the Matt Eastlea design with all the holes in the top I’ve seen several people on here refer to them but I can’t imagine what they’re all for.
Cubbies, yes I know what they are, the Americans have been keen on them for a long time.

He uses it for his track saw. I think in one of videos he explains it all. I'll see if I can find it.

Yes for projects after the bench, as you will have a job
making a bench without a bench.

Yes you can pay through the nose for timber to be planed.
That doesn't guarantee anything when you wish to cut timber with the saw, as internal stresses will be relieved after being cut.
Even acclimatizing perfect timber in your workshop is good enough to make things all wonky.
Surfacing can't really be avoided, unless you wish to do site work or make carpentry stuff for outside.

Yes for projects after the bench, as you will have a job
making a bench without a bench.

Yes you can pay through the nose for timber to be planed.
That doesn't guarantee anything when you wish to cut timber with the saw, as internal stresses will be relieved after being cut.
Even acclimatizing perfect timber in your workshop is good enough to make things all wonky.
Surfacing can't really be avoided, unless you wish to do site work or make carpentry stuff for outside.

So any advice? Get a decent thickener and sound proof my workshop? :)

Hmm, looks like the website you are referring to is no longer active.

Hi thanks yes got it now it’s one of those tracksawthings, by the time you bought all that kit and faffed about I suspect you could’ve bought some decent equipment. I think once you’re on that treadmill/slippery slope it’s just a never-ending way of getting you to buy more and more bits of kit (expensive as well) And a lot of it is green.
Oh yes the darkside! Where tracksaws and parfs are refused entry.

That might include everyone who chooses not/can't afford to have a planer or thicknesser, or who has one now but the emphasis is still on hand work.

Some go so far as not the have any electricity at all, maybe light bulbs but that's about it!
Many are somewhere in the middle.

The one thing in common with all is the workbench, regardless of design
they are all big slabs of timber for good reason.

Back