Work in progress--Medieval Thrones (update March 11)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dam fine work sir, I'm finding with my clients that they are asking for more of this traditional work. This might be in part to my rural location, older properties, and their average age 50/60. Either way I like making it, and its starting to creep back into my taste also.

Thanks, guys.

Mark, I checked out your web page, and see what you mean, given this cabinet:
oak_livery_cupboard_001.jpg

Very nice, and dead on with some of the examples I've seen. I also saw the curved hot tub stairs you did--my wife and I will be ripping down our old deck this spring, and I may use your stairs for inspiration.

Kirk

The Penultimate Pics:

I have a friend who's a pro photographer, and he came to one of our medieval events and shot pictures as a fundraiser. He then took pictures of one of the thrones. This is pretty much the last I'll see of them, since they're being delivered tomorrow. They still will get some silver repousse done in the triangles, but that will be done by someone else and in the coming months. Anyway, here you go:

Front.jpg

Top of the back panel, with triangular panel:
top.jpg

Middle of back:
middle3.jpg

One panel:
back_panel.jpg

Well, the carving ain't perfect, but I think the flaws give it some good character. (On the other hand, I'm biased.:))
panel_closeup.jpg

The frame lines are done with a scratch stock, and the corners finished with a chisel. Took maybe an hour or hour and a half for a total of 12 panels. Router? Bah, humbug!

Side panels:
side1-1.jpg

And even closer:
single_side1.jpg

Handrest:
handrest.jpg

handrest3.jpg

handrest4.jpg

I'm still not real happy with the handrest carving. But frankly, these pictures make it look alright.

Finial:
finial3.jpg

finial1.jpg

Again, things look a trifle "rustic". And I've only seen a few medieval pieces in person, but I think this looks appropriate in comparison.

Kickplate:
kick2.jpg

Don't like it? Off with your head!
Pissed_off.jpg

Kirk

Back