Work bench legs - best way to fix a mishap!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Had a bit of a mishap today while working on my work bench legs; the short of it is I somehow managed to cut the same leg short by a foot... yes a whole foot.

They're 4x4"s and luckily I've got some sizeable off cuts to make the length back up. Question is what joint would you recommend? Bridal? Half lap? Something else?

Thanks
Mark

Hah I actually subscribe to that guy already, maybe a bit advanced for me! I was going for more practical than fancy :D

If the leg is a 4" x 4" cut a 4" half lap in the leg and fasten them together with two off set square cup head bolts and it will go no where, Place the leg at the back out of sight and if any one see's it just say it was from long John Silver.

Alternatively, an old broom handle or 25mm dowel and drill both pieces, insert and glue should be more than adequate. A little more refined is after drilling cut a half lap and then glue, it should then be almost invisible.

Replace it whilst you can don't repair it.
mistakes can be made in any shop at any time
all the best
rob

+1 for replacement. Bench legs should be solid and strong with no risk of movement. The cost wouldn't be that much.

John

Since knowing how to fix mistakes is often said to be 90% of what woodworking is about :D I don't see any need to replace it.

And there's no reason a repaired workbench leg should be any less solid and dependable. Scarfed-in sections of posts and beams in many a building standing for 500 years!

Just use one of these and if anybody asks,insist you were keen to use existing resources rather than buying a chunk of another tree.

82500703bcd9442ee0ef37dd58d52934.jpg

Back