Words

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Did you know that most people can read text even when the letters in the word are jumbled up as lnog as the frist and lsat ltteers in ecah wrod are rghit. Isn't taht itnrestnig. Preahps thtas why porof raednig is so dfifucilt.

Crihs

Yeah,ive read about this before on another site i use.Seems our brains reassemble as we go or something like that.

Which is why all those "turnip" garments are so popular :lol:

Regards Tom

Not totally true. You have to be a fully competent reader, no visual problems or dyslexia. It isn't automatic. That's why we bother to put letters in (roughly) the right order!

What most people can do quite happily is read just the top or bottom half of words. This was shown in research going back to the 30s. It seems that as well as looking for key letters we also recognise the overall shape of the word.

What always amazes me is that kids who have only been reading for a couple of years can recognise a letter as the same when it is handwritten by a range of different people or printed in a range of fonts. And just how bad handwriting can be and still be legible.

RogerS":sqcwqt7k said:
If you're in sales then you also develop the skill of reading upside-down :wink:

Not sure about reading or even upside down, but the guy in the phone shop yesterday certainly talked out of his asre

bluezephyr":gyyg237o said:
RogerS":gyyg237o said:
If you're in sales then you also develop the skill of reading upside-down :wink:

Not sure about reading or even upside down, but the guy in the phone shop yesterday certainly talked out of his asre

Sounds a bit like some of the little oiks that try to talk down to me whenever I go into a PC World. Old enough to be their Dad and so they assume I know nowt about computers. Little do they know...designed and build my first three computers probably before they were born!

Getting back to words, take care as to what you write down. One of my colleagues inherited a new sales patch tpgether with his predecessors notes outlining all the purchasing managers foibles. He went to see one of them. The notes read 'fat, halitosis and a slow decision maker'. Unfortunately during his first meeting with the purchasing manager, my colleague got caught shorrt and had to leave the room in a hurry. The purchasing manager naturally took a look at the notes. On my colleagues return, he was told...

'True I am fat. True I do have halitosis. But not true that I am a slow decision maker. Goodbye and don't come back'

Latest posts

Back