Woodworking Square recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8Balls

Established Member
Reaction score
Whats a good quality brand of squares please people, my existing silverline is rubbish. I need something decent, maybe even a set to cover all eventualities.

Cheers (y)

Attachments

• 61tCA-5kLeS._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61tCA-5kLeS._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
what sort of square are you after? combination, speed square, framing, engineers? the bahco one above is a good option, I seem to recall from a previous thread that a lot of people rate the empire true blue range, any cheap(er) combination square are likely to be slightly off square, but it is something that is very easy to adjust by using the square itself, search on youtube, you may be able to get that silverline into shape

BTW, in my experience silverline are always to be avoided

what sort of square are you after? combination, speed square, framing, engineers? the bahco one above is a good option, I seem to recall from a previous thread that a lot of people rate the empire true blue range, any cheap(er) combination square are likely to be slightly off square, but it is something that is very easy to adjust by using the square itself, search on youtube, you may be able to get that silverline into shape

I'm cutting up a bunch of 18mm ply using a MFT top and want it to be bang on, I'm using the RS MFT jig at present to make my own tops and want to reasure myself that my tops are spot.

Yep the Bahco is a good option but would like a non combination for what I'm going at

Sorry yes an engineers square

I was under the impression that the whole point of having an mft top is that you dont need a square.
That's what I thought too. Must be more to it than meets the eye.
If you want a big accurate square it's very easy to make your own. Google 3 4 5 triangle or "Thales" triangle.

If you are cutting up ply, why not use the 345 to find the squarest corner, and use that as your square? That way it will fit the ply you want to cut, can be used as a straight edge to guide whatever tool you are using to break down the boards, and doesn't cost you anything. If you have enough ply to cover the project and can keep that corner piece afterwards, then you have a useful square / guide for future projects.

Back