Woodworking for cats

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting my very first cat (never had one before) in a few weeks.

My question is, what kind of woodworking projects can be made for a cat? E.g. elaborate scratching posts, a cubby hole, etc.

Ideas for projects and related sources for materials gratefully received

Sammy

You might think you are training your cat, but the truth is they are training you.

If getting a kitten, it is best to have a cage for it to live in at night or you'll come down to find it at the top of the curtains. Plus they're prone to injuring themselves at that age doing crazy stuff, so having it in a secure space when not under supervision is paramount.
If its a cage type thing, make sure the bars are closely spaced or cat might break its teeth trying to chew on them.

My mums cat was the runt of the litter. She got it at only a few months old and being in her late 70's, didnt take precautions.
Accident 1 As a kitten
Attempted to jump from one kitchen countertop to the other at some point at night when mum ws asleep.
Result - fell short and broke femur, had the ball end of the bone amputated, so now 9 years later that leg is painful and problematic
Accident 2
Bought dog cage to prevent further misadventures- bars too far apart.
Result. Shattered molar tooth from being able to get mouth around and between bars
Accident 3
On a days adventure and not being streetwise, got attacked by large dog.
Result. Nerves in lower back destroyed so no fur grows in that area and nerve damage causes discomfort. Area needs protected from sun.
Additional result - Lost tail due to same nerve damage.
Poor cat was missing 2 days and somehow managed to get itself home, but very close to death. Multiple operations.
Accident 4 (recent)
Somehow managed to snap canine tooth which needed extracted

Cat(Louie) is a season ticket holder for the vets. So the most important thing you can do is make sure it is insured. The accidents above have run into thousands(£'s) in vet bills. It was the most sensible thing we've done to get him insured days after getting him.

If you can, only let it out at night as there is far less traffic. We've had 5 cats prior to Louie, 4 of them have been killed crossing the road, including our first, a gnarly ginger stray you'd think would know better. and Max, unfortunately only aged one. Didnt have the life experience to know the true dangers(V sad)

Louie, despite starting as the runt, and the horrors that poor cat has faced, has been fed mostly on chicken breast(as well as vet recommended food). He is a stone in weight and a big guy overall.
For sure he's damaged psychologically, but still a good cat and quite affectionate.

Had to say very sad farewell to our wee grey rescue cat after 21 years earlier this year. Undernourished, riddled with ear mites and with bad teeth when we got her. She never had any special facilities, and refused to use cat litter - it had to be fresh garden soil. And as for a special bed/house, our bed was much preferable, as were cardboard boxes. The only time she was in a special box was a plastic dog crate in the back of the car for our 400 mile plus move up here. She only howled from Milton Keynes as far as Stafford!

Every new tool you buy, the cat gets to play with the box, before after and during.

They get bored so try and bring these little changes in for a day to two before putting them in the trash

They like to be high, so they'll nap on the backs of chairs and sofas.
They like to be warm. And they like to have a vantage point. Our old girl sits on top of the sky router warming her butt and keeping an eye on the two doors to the living room.

Make a couple of MDF cubes about 18" on a side with a 16" circle cut out of each side. Leave the top and bottom solid and stack them against a wall or better in a corner. The cats quite like these hidey places that I copied from a "cat cafe" in asia.

Fit wooden floors. Cats stay healthy by puking up furballs and anything they eat that isn't good. Hard floors make cleanup much easier.

Regular brushing helps to reduce this if you can get 'em to stay still.

Make a wooden first aid box to keep your micropore in for when you mess up your cat psychology and get slashed. Ours are good cats but one's a bit of a brat. Myself and both daughters have been left dripping blood at least a couple of times every year. He's come close to using up his 9 lives a few times.

Strangely, like swaddling babies, it can calm them if they are held firmly immobile without squeezing them. Let 'em go when they start to really wriggle or hiss.

Why would you keep one of those you ask ? They're far more entertaining than dogs :)

Make anything with holes in .
Big enough holes they'll sleep/hide in .
Smaller holes they'll hide stuff in .

I am obviously too indulgent a father - daughter asked for bunk beds for her two cats so this is what she got!

Cat bunk bed.jpg

Hi,

My question is, what kind of woodworking projects can be made for a cat? E.g. elaborate scratching posts, a cubby hole, etc.

Ideas for projects and related sources for materials gratefully received

Sammy
Whatever you buy, make, or hope for, a Cat will always do its own thing. If you want a scratching post try putting brand new fence panels around your garden

I've found cats are useless at woodwork. You'll probably end up making it yourself.
I have a neighbour's cat that spends a lot of daytime at my place, she thinks she can help build ship models, also she carries out regular inspections of my workshop but gets covered in sawdust. I tried teaching her to 'sand' wood with her tongue :ROFLMAO:. She's adopted one of my cold frames as a day bed.

Last edited:
Having had first hand experience of a rescue kitten I can assure you that the best thing to do when you first get home is leave the cat in it's travel cage and put it somewhere quiet. After about 30 minutes put some wet food near the travel cage, a few feet away and open the door then leave it.
Your new friend needs to settle down for maybe a day or two. Put the litter tray in sight but not near the food if you have a spare room you could leave the kitty in there until it's settled, you'll know when because it will want to explore, now start talking to it so it'll learn your voice.
Let it come to you in it's own time don't try to encourage it.

Sisal rope is what you'll need if you're going to build something for scratching purposes, can also be used for climbing. The best place for ideal is online pet store who sell climbing frames.
Cat have very good sense of smell not as a dog but they can put off by the way something smells so don't use any glue in your builds.

Catnip can be calming, stimulating or have no affect at all but usually just provides pleasure.

I know this isn't what you asked but I just thought I'd share what I learned from my Toby.
IMG_20170204_165313014.jpg

I always say if getting a kitten get two, they play together for hours, one cat on it's own gets board then more likely to wander.

Best toy that you could build is a scratching post with a high bed, I buy ours but have seen good home made, I would not cover with carpet cats do not need to be taught to scratch carpet it's a natural skill! Hairy string seems to be the thing glued and wound tightly

You can make or buy your cat all the nicest toys out there but you will find that they just love a cardboard box or a paper bag. Our cat has a nice bed & scratching post from cat tree kings Cat Tree King & RHR Quality

1663493762768.png

but still prefers to sleep in her igloo or where she wants, you just have to remember having a cat makes you their servant and if you are a control freak then a dog is a better option because cats do what they want.

With Winter coming on the kitten will appreciate a couple of Igloo beds to hide away and keep snug and warm. You'll probably end up with various beds around the house ranging from a folded blanket to your favourite pair of trousers !

Woe betide you if you decide to wash its hairy, smelly dirty bed as it will then abandon the cleaned bed and roam endlessly around the house looking for a new bed somewhere else ? :oops:

Try and introduce the kitten to some real food early on like bits of cooked chicken ,fish ,tinned Tuna etc as once its diet is established its very hard to change it or introduce anything new later. Did I say cats are fussy .

Back