Woodworking for cats

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having had first hand experience of a rescue kitten I can assure you that the best thing to do when you first get home is leave the cat in it's travel cage and put it somewhere quiet. After about 30 minutes put some wet food near the travel cage, a few feet away and open the door then leave it.
Your new friend needs to settle down for maybe a day or two. Put the litter tray in sight but not near the food if you have a spare room you could leave the kitty in there until it's settled, you'll know when because it will want to explore, now start talking to it so it'll learn your voice.
Let it come to you in it's own time don't try to encourage it.

Sisal rope is what you'll need if you're going to build something for scratching purposes, can also be used for climbing. The best place for ideal is online pet store who sell climbing frames.
Cat have very good sense of smell not as a dog but they can put off by the way something smells so don't use any glue in your builds.

Catnip can be calming, stimulating or have no affect at all but usually just provides pleasure.

I know this isn't what you asked but I just thought I'd share what I learned from my Toby.
View attachment 143693
Hope that's not a 1L JD bottle!😃

theywouldnt.jpg

I've always wanted to build a castle for my two gingers. With turrets as scratching posts and a drawbridge etc. Somehow I have never got round to it as they seem happy with a cardboard box most of the time.

forgot Doris...
u make the cat toys n castles for u to enjoy.....
Just built a huge insect hotel.....cant wait for the renters to leave then I can fit it up......
desperatly want Lizard eggs n such.....

We've had kittens in pairs mostly, and just provided upturned cardboard boxes, with cut out entrance / exits at floor level and a hole on top for poking down. hours of fun and very cheap! Also good hidy hole for newcomers. Last female we had ignored a bed in the workshop and always curled up on the pile of offcuts.

My two heathens .up to no good.

View attachment 143751
Out of interest, what breed are they? People who know about these things used to suggest our wee grey one was a British Blue, but suspect she was just a complete mongrel. Interestingly, there were very few grey cats round where we lived outside Milton Keynes, but lots of them up here in Aberdeenshire. Turned out a lady who had lived near here and bred them had to go into care and gave all her's away to interested people who would look after them.

Didn't bother with tomatoes this year, I thought to try growing 'cat-tus' or was it 'cat mint'?
Meet Mable, my neighbour's cat, who thinks she's a ship's cat.

Attachments

• IMG_5102.JPG
    IMG_5102.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5100.JPG
    IMG_5100.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5097.JPG
    IMG_5097.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Out of interest, what breed are they? People who know about these things used to suggest our wee grey one was a British Blue, but suspect she was just a complete mongrel. Interestingly, there were very few grey cats round where we lived outside Milton Keynes, but lots of them up here in Aberdeenshire. Turned out a lady who had lived near here and bred them had to go into care and gave all her's away to interested people who would look after them.
They're just typical BSH cats. You don't normally see them wandering around outdoors as they're quite expensive to buy and most owners never risk letting them outdoors.
My daughter has been into cat BSH breeding for a number of years. All legit with all pedigree papers/registration of course and I had pick of the litters in each case as gifts and they're excellent issue free little guys.
The beauty was that I was able to visit them several times to get to know them before making my choice and it worked out perfect for us.

I know it's not the meaning of this thread, the first couple of posts clarified that, but it's the sense I always get when I see the subject line.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20220922_162845.jpg
    MVIMG_20220922_162845.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
I made a lovely scratching post, but she hasn't touched it - prefers to use the workshop mat. However, she loves the cat tree - solid beech with spiral steps fixed to post with dominos - topped with a cat's nest.

View attachment 143691

And here she is in person.

View attachment 143692
Oh yes. Look out for the tv show "my cat from hell" (youtube) he has great ideas for projects, ramps, climbing poles etc.

Oh yes. Look out for the tv show "my cat from hell" (youtube) he has great ideas for projects, ramps, climbing poles etc.
Ģood recommendation. He taught us all about the "slow blink".
Cat psych. They are predators. To a predator, being stared at means you're being eyed up for lunch and they get very nervous. The slow blink or closing your eyes / ignoring them says "I'm not planning to eat you today".

So you dont like cats then Delboy....??? ur loss I'm afraid....
sorry if I got it wrong.....
Cat owners are the most irresponsible people I know that let their animals out to use every ones elses garden as their private toilet. If you own a cat keep it indoors and let it use a litter tray. Dog owners have to clear up after their animals so should cat owners. No you did not get it wrong

Dog owners have to clear up after their animals so should cat owners.
You mean should, if they all did then we would not have bags of dog shiete hanging in various places and areas of pavements and public places that are like minefields with dog shiete all over the place.

Latest posts

Back