Woodworking books....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well folks, this is an interesting topic for all :lol: so here are a few books that I have picked up along the way.
  • Readers Digest - DIY Manual, my dad and unvcle used this book to build a lot of furniture in the 60's and 70's so I inherited it.Good book for "dated" pieces of furniture. :wink:
    The Victorian Cabinet Makers Assistant - data on Vicky designs
    The Gentleman & Cabinet Makers Director - essential if restoring/copying Chippy Stuff :wink: - text ok - loads of line drawings
    The History of English Furniture Age of Walnut - ditto - great text if heavy loads of line drawings
    The History of English Furniture Age of Oak - ditto
    Brakett - English Furniture Illustrated - heavy book and a good reference book to have on old techniques and furniture styles.
    American Furniture of the 18th ct - ditto - great pictures text ok
    Mouldings and turnings - minimal text - loads of line drawings - good reference book
    David Charlesworth - ok book for making of classic furniture
    James Krenov - ALL of - good inspiration for minimalist style furniture and techniques for hand tool users :wink:
    Fine woodworking - treatise on Bending Wood - Great technical book good text and photos with line drawings too
    for the hand tool freaks here eh ALF ! :p
    Garrett Wade TOOLS - great text on the tools and piccies to drool over
    Jim Kingshott RIP - The Workshop Book - for ppl wishing to build from scratch a W/s - an okay book in terms of text/drawings/piccies
    Scott Gibson - The Workshop - a DROOL BOOK in terms of text and piccies shame it is US based :cry:
    Scott Landis - The Workshop Book - ditto - but still VERY useful on this side.
    John Sainsbury - Woodworking Shop - pretty rubbish IMO - really for starters on tooling up, no layout ideas :evil:
    Sam Allen - Workbenches - pretty good on the types to use/make loads of line drawings and B&W piccies
    Bob Wearing - Making of woodwork Aids and devices - good book to have re Router aids and hand tool jigs -good text and line drawings some piccies
    Scott Landis - The Workbench - A DROOL BOOK - great text on the history of the bench types of, with great piccies, line drawings and PLANS 8)
    Fine Woodworking - Tips on Table saw Set up and use of - good book for everyone on setting up and use of - good text and good line drawings
    Lazlo Katz -The Art of Woodworking and Furniture Appreciation -
    a really good reference book on techniques and making of fine furniture,great text and B&W piccies AND line drawings :)
    Monte von Dumont - HOLZ - a great GERMAN book covering the whole gamut of W-wking great text, good piccies and line drawings 8)
    George Ellis - Modern Practical Joinery - one of the BIBLES for W-wkers good text loads of line drawings and some B&W piccies. A heavy going book not really for starters.
    Ernst Joyce - The Techniques of Furniture Making - THE BIBLE for makers what can I say this is the new version with a forward by alan Peters and revised by him too :eek: :lol:
    Sam Allen - Wood Joiners Handbook - same vein as GE's book but slightly more up to date :wink:
    John Birchard - Make your own handcrafted Doors & Windows -
    an okay book on this topic good text-piccies/line drawings though this is a US biased book still an ok book.
    Rick Peters - W-wkrs Guide to Woos - a US based book fairly good on the types of wood, uses of and properties of also covers engineered woods ie ply's and mdf.Good text /piccies/line drawings. In general a fair book tho' US.
    Apple - Woodworkers Joint Book - a handy reference book for in the shop.UK based book good piccies and line drawings tho' text is a bit weak
    Stuart Spencer - the art of Wood Graining -
    good book on this technique fair text and good piccies
    Fred. Oughton - The complete manual on Wood Finishing -
    To some this is the BIBLE of finishing. all in all a good book to have if you are not a Polisher :wink: I preferred C Haywards, but then I was taught the OLD fashioned way.
    John Brown - Welsh Stick Chairs - Great book on the art of Chair making, great text and good B&W piccies and some line drawings.
    Thos.Moser - Measured Shop Drawings - SHAKER styled designs - interesting text good piccies and many line drawings
    Scott Swank - Shaker Life ..... - A coffee table book on the history of Mother Anne Lee and her ideas.- Good text/piccies little on Wood working but never the less a good book
    June Sprigg and David Larkin - Shaker life and Work - ditto as above.
    John Makepeace -Spirit of adventure in Craft & Design - A DROOL BOOK on design and QUALITY made furniture.
    michael Bennent - Discovering and Restoring Antique Furniture -
    A good reference book on what NOT to do and how to do it right.
    Tim Forrest - Antique Meubelen - Dutch book on how to restore Antiques a .so so book translated from English
    Frederik J Weijs - HOUT - a Dutch book over the general principles of wood working and WOOD its properties ,uses and ways of working in wood. simerlar but poorer in quality to the German book on W-wking
    Well thats about it, apart from 30 years collection of THE WOOD WORKER, F&C from no.1 :lol: :wink: Practical Woodworking, FWW and other magazines.
Sorry for being longwinded but you ppl wanted to know what books we use and rely on.

All the best HS

Holy Cow HS.... thats no list, that's a veritable library.... :shock:

Welcome aboard btw....

<guessing I'm gonna need a liquid cooled Visa card before too long...

Alf wrote
Go on, Mike, spill.

About the price..???
I donno if it's a gloat or not; I'm still way too green behind the ears at this 2nd hand book buying lark. I'm guessing from the described condition of the set that it's been used and treated with respect over the years. £34 inc shipping seemed a fair price to me.... Hardly a gloat at all in comparison to your Patternmakers Tale gloatimus maximus ;P~

Back