Wooden Plough Plane setup & prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old wooden plough plane which uses wedges to lock the fence.

I'm having issues setting it up reliably (like a wooden Plane which doesnt tale long at all now thst I have a feel for it).

So doe any one have any good tips?

Whilst thinking about it I had a look for a screw adjust plough plane he a famous auction site.

WOW what has hapened to the prices, a quick search prices were ~£30 and saw a couple of sets of irons for £50 :shock:

Last time I looked a year or so ago planes were about £10 if that and irons ~£15.

I'd be greatdil for any tips.

I bought one not long back. I set the fence by locking one wedge at the right distance, then tapping the other rod/opposite side of fence until in position, then locking that. Mind you, I haven't been ploughing precision grooves, just close enough to work out. I'm not sure there's much else that can be done by way of setup.

Use technique is harder to learn, but my plane works best taking shallow to moderate cuts. And I start at the far end of the workpiece, gradually bring the groove back towards me. Only the last few cuts are made full length.

As profchris said thats pretty much how it is used. That said those old wooden planes can get a bit out of whack over time so there are a few things you can check and fix. The skate should be strait as in the front and back bits are in line. A strait edge check of the skate bottom edge should be strait. Think of a regular plane sole being flat. Easy fix with a file. Then the iron and wedge need to be the right fit like in any wedged plane. The back of the iron has a groove in it that sits on the sloping front of the back skate and this should be a good close fit also. This prevents the iron flexing and is the important bit to get right. Sometimes they come with irons that were from another plane and will never fit right. I have one and 2 of the irons just won't sit right. Closer inspection showed they were from another set. With the irons that do fit it does as good a job as my stanley 50 but with a bit more setup time. Feels better in the hand on a winters day.
Regards
John

Thanks.

I will fettle with it and als use it more to become more comfortable with it

B

On prices, I think eBay prices on wooden ploughs are probably still spread very widely. As far as I know, there's not been any sudden surge of interest in them - no Schwarz or Sellers effect - so there are probably more sellers than buyers. Ploughs were offered at a wide range of price points (from cheap and basic to those with extra work on the fence, more brass on the ends, a better depth stop, a longer skate, superior woods etc.) But unless you are tuned into these variations, ploughs all look the same and a bit mysterious. (Many sellers can't tell a plough from a sash fillister but are presumably guessing from other people's listings of something that looks similar.)

They are also a bit bulky to store, so it's harder to justify having more than one. My first was from Bristol Design for a fiver when he ran out of room for them in the shop.

As for setup, my only extra tip to add to what has already been said is that if you are still having trouble getting the two ends of the fence set at the same distance from the skate, plane an offcut to the width of offset you need and snug the ends up to it.

Re prices, make sure you tick the "sold" box on the left when searching.

Buy it now and auction starting prices are meaningless as sellers can choose whatever price they like.

Just a few days ago a set of 15 plough plane iron was sold for £15 inc P&P.

Global shipping has increased the price of your planes, because a good wooden plough plane that sells for 10-15 pounds in the UK would sell for 50 pounds equivalent over here.

A plough plane with original irons is over $100 in general here, especially if the buyer is smart enough to know that having matching irons (irons matched to the plane) is important.

Most of the screw type plough planes made in the UK and then shipped to the states have suffered from broken boxwood nuts on the screw arms, so finding those is easier going to the UK ebay and shipping them here than it is to find a good one locally here.

Back