Wood turned into dust?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HexusOdy

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I was putting some towels away today in a chest of drawers and when I opened the bottom drawer up there was a fine yellow powder on the left hand side.

So I take it out and the middle drawers fall away on the left side. It turns out the drawers runner / support has turned into a very fine yellow powder (well half of it, the rest is hanging on by a thread).

The rest of the unit is fine, even around the runner is sound. Its like this one piece of wood was hit with a magic spell.

Any ideas? It's just pine by the looks of it. An old Harold Lebus chest that's been painted.

Could be I guess, must have been in there when I bought it used. Although rest of unit looks fine and I cant see any tell tale holes.

I didnt realise it could turn wood into dust like that.

I have just retired a sideboard I made in 1964. It too had yellow dust in the case, underneath the drawers. Not woodworm. Just 50 years worth of wear and tear on the runners; dust caused by wear of the softwood drawer sides. I should add I had not the experience, the cash or the tools to make a piece I would have called an heirloom. still, it didn't do too badly considering the carcass was held together with screws; and not Kreg screws either! One or two driven in at an angle, but definitely not Kreg screws...

If you can't see any worm-holes, then it might be a similar case. (hammer)

Benchwayze":3e1joamq said:
I have just retired a sideboard I made in 1964. It too had yellow dust in the case, underneath the drawers. Not woodworm. Just 50 years worth of wear and tear on the runners; dust caused by wear of the softwood drawer sides. I should add I had not the experience, the cash or the tools to make a piece I would have called an heirloom. still, it didn't do too badly considering the carcass was held together with screws; and not Kreg screws either! One or two driven in at an angle, but definitely not Kreg screws...

If you can't see any worm-holes, then it might be a similar case. (hammer)

That would make more sense given there is no sign on woodworm. Who'd have thought that wear and tear could turn wood into such a fine powder!

Indeed it could, especially from the cutlery drawer. The extra weight, coupled with the more frequent use, meant the wear was excessive. Eventually I had to splice a slip of timber to the drawer, but even that wore over the next few years! (hammer)

Back