Wood for windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I‘m about to start a casement window build, using hand tools. I’m trying to decide what wood to use, initially it’s a single glazed window for a garden shed. Nice straight grain would be nice so the moulding plane performs nicely.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Steve

If it's not too large, for a shed I would just use regular red/white softwood and carefully pick the pieces for reasonably knot free and good grain. I've been using Accoya recently for external joinery which is knot free and reasonably straight grained - it machines well. It is a little brittle and does drag a bit when hand planed, but it's expensive and you'll struggle to buy it cost effectively for 1 window.

I have looked at Accoya and I’m sure it’s great but very expensive.

I am thinking Larch or Douglas Fir. Any thoughts anyone?

Is there a certain grade I should be going for?

Thanks

I have looked at Accoya and I’m sure it’s great but very expensive.

I am thinking Larch or Douglas Fir. Any thoughts anyone?

Is there a certain grade I should be going for?

Thanks
"Unsorted" Swedish redwood best, or 5ths or Russian 4ths but may need more careful selection.

Douglas fir is good, Redwood as Jacob suggested or Sapele are all good choices.

I made up some sash bars with a lump of cedar I‘d forgotten I had lying around today. The moulding was lovely to do, on account of no knots and the wood being so soft. The mortising was more tricky, as the wood bruises easily, and I need more practice doing it. Never mind, all experiments and practice before the real thing.

I read somewhere that cedar is a good wood for windows and greenhouses. Any thoughts?

IMG_0772.jpeg
IMG_0773.jpeg

I made up some sash bars with a lump of cedar I‘d forgotten I had lying around today. The moulding was lovely to do, on account of no knots and the wood being so soft. The mortising was more tricky, as the wood bruises easily, and I need more practice doing it. Never mind, all experiments and practice before the real thing.

I read somewhere that cedar is a good wood for windows and greenhouses. Any thoughts?

View attachment 164250View attachment 164251
Good wood but soft as you say. Larch is cheaper fairly durable and harder.

I'd buy long 2" C24 redwood joists in as large a section as possible. Chose the straight, tight grained ones with no sapwood that have the pith running down the centre of the joist.

Cut out the pith and chuck it away, and then you'll have some nice quarter sawn timber to work with.

Last edited:
Back