WiZeR Official Workshop Build Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok mate.
and as someone else who's back has some problems,
i agree it's not the lifting, it's the bending and the
odd angles at which you put stress on your back
that cause the problem.

what you learn is to think about the movement before you
make it so that you don't jerk things around.

paul :wink:

hehe my missus will agree with you, I should stop jerking around ;)

Day 3

Not much to report today. I spent the whole day painting, painting and more painting. I really don't know where the time went. I managed to tack the DPM to one of the base frames. Surely water can get in through the staples tho?

Tomorrow will hopefully see 2 walls erected. Only problem is that rain is forecast #-o :cry:

My Dad is desperately trying to persuade me to change my mind on using shiplap for the fence side wall. His reasoning is that it will never be seen so why not just use roofing felt? I can see his point but it bugs me for some reason, I'm not sure its the best material to use for an outside wall. Any thoughts on that?

Rain Rain go away, come back another day (like next week). [-o<

You need something solid for an outside wall even for peace of mind. If the shiplap is not to be seen then how about the bitumen faced OSB board, or 12mm external ply with a good dowse of wood preserver.

Les

well it wad going to get a layer of 12mm undedr the felt or shiplap anyway. would shed preserver be good enough?

I would use an oil base preserver will last longer and the oil will preserve the ply better re sealing the edges.

If you can remember when you visited, the pool room at the bottom of next doors garden only has shiplap where it can be seen, the rest of the building is external ply. No problems do not waste your money when shiplap is not needed.

Listen to DAD :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll:

Les

SOLD!

Cheers Les, Very cunning. I thought that pool room was made from hand carved logs ;)

Day 4

A more productive day today.

Got the 2nd base frame covered in DPM and then the whole base was leveled. Constructed both walls (2 frames each) and erected them. House side wall was bolted and fence side wall has been braced.

100_0888.JPG

Dad had to go again at 14:30pm which left me nailing in noggins. Just as I was having a bit of a clearup it started to rain. I quickly put a false front on the whole thing for security.

100_0890.JPG

Tomorrow I am on my own again. Plenty to get on with tho. Floor needs insulating and boarding. All the wall sheets can be cut. The wiring can be run for the sockets. Plus some other bits and pieces.

Got help again on Saturday and hoping to board and felt the fence side wall.

I predicted one week to get the base and walls completely finished which should work out right. If we'd had Monday then maybe the roof would have gone on.

Ah well, i'm rambling now ;)

WiZeR,
enjoying the story so far - great work :)
when you're running the cable for the electrics you might consider running up and across the ceiling (protected by conduit), rather than under the floor. if you do then you can mount a double socket directly over the central area of your shop. this way cables from router table, table saw etc. can run directly up rather than across to side wall (where if you're like me you will keep falling over them :roll: )
if you decide to go for the 'under the floor route' then I think some floor mounted flush sockets would be useful http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 0&id=34645

I finished "restoring" my workshop last year (it's a WW2 anderson shelter :!: ), but it now looks like I may have to relocate in a few months time, so I'm finding all these workshop build threads inspirational
Keep up the good work

Nice to see the progress coming along nicely Wizer - the frames seem to be going up quite quickly considering your back problem, look forward to seeing the rest!

Have you thought anymore about the roof - are you still thinking of getting a pro in??

Thanks Twister, good idea about the overhead power points, i'd allready planned for this. My leccy pal is coming round today to explain in detail how to run the cabling.

Byron. WRT the back... It's a case of no guts no glory. I was in absolute agony yesterday but all I could htink of was getting it done. This morning its clamed down a bit and theres no heavy lifting today,

The roof is still worrying me and tbh I have been putting it out of my mind a bit. I think we will end up doing it.

WiZeR

I've got a question to ask about the wall against the wall. Why a wall against the brick at all, rather than a plate bolted to the wall to attach the roof on that side to? My logic being that the brick should be strong enough to carry the roof loads (unless it's a nonstructural veneer) and that it's already heated on the other side so doesn't need to be insulated, not having it at all would give you a slight gain in inside width. Or is my Colonial logic off a bit? :)

Twister, you stole my thunder, and I don't get much.

WiZeR, and Byron, I was going to suggest that you ran cable along the ceiling with dangling sockets in prominent areas. That way you have more area to play with your tools. eg: With the cable in the centre you can use the tool on both sides of your workshop without unplugging.

Keep up the good work. And thanks for you input.

aaggghhh RAIN! This thread is turning into a weather report!

I got down there at 9am and was welcomed by puddles! I had covered with tarps but I didnt have enough so puddles had formed between the joists on top of the membrane ](*,)

I spent an hour bucketing out the water and drying with towels, then just as I was preparing to cut the floor boards.... Torrential! Its absolutely hammering it down! ](*,)

Quickly managed to cover it up again, this time with a couple of boards under the tarp, but still left some gaps.... so more toweling later :(

Inspector":u5gf84l8 said:
Why a wall against the brick at all, rather than a plate bolted to the wall to attach the roof on that side to? My logic being that the brick should be strong enough to carry the roof loads (unless it's a nonstructural veneer) and that it's already heated on the other side so doesn't need to be insulated, not having it at all would give you a slight gain in inside width.

Yeh I considered that, but I wanted that extra bit of insulation for noise and also for 'neatness' when it came to running sockets down there.

I'm off to have a swim in my new pool

:evil:

Wizer, your expreriancing the same thing I did last week, spent almost half a day inside combatting the 'blisters' of water developing between the joists - a real pain in the arris.

It's absolutely chucking it down here again today, which is annoying as I pulled a sickie from work to put the cladding on -- grrrr!

weather man reckons it will be dry by lunchtime... we'll see!

Day 5

Well it wasn't a complete wash out. It was slow though.

When the rain stopped I went down and decided the most important thing for me to do was get a solid floor down incase of further rain. I'm not sure where the time went but i only got 4 out of 5 boards down. It ended up being a fiddly job as the walls turned out to be not completley square. Plus dragging around sheets of 18mm 8x4 wbp with a bad back aint fun :roll:

I was getting a bit stressed with how slow things where going earlier but I had a word with myself and decided that it was silly getting angry with it and that Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm building this myself partly to save money but also for the 'enjoyment'. So I chilled out and took my time.

Saying that, the weather report is bad for tomorrow which is a shame because I have help.

No pics as it doesnt look any different.

Hi Wizer,
Bummer about the weather, why don't you knock up a temporary shelter by screwing one of those big blue tarps from B&Q to the wall above your projected roofline and tying the other side down over the fence. You could even use a couple of your 4x2s on the fence side to get a bit more headroom if your neighbour wouldn't mind a couple of guy lines on his side for a day or 2. Hey presto, a nice dry work area. Forecast is a bit windy tomorrow so that might be a fly in the ointment but you can't have everything.

Good luck
Mark

Wizer - don't worry about the pace of the project. I was getting worried about not getting mine completed in the two week window I had, but like you I remembered why I was doing it, and now i'm really enjoying the process, espeically today despite the weather.

Also, i've found, the slower I go, the better the finish. And surprisngly my progress feels a bit faster now that i've slowed down, because i'm thinking about things more, making less mistakes and constantly moving forward.

Latest posts

Back