WIP - The big one :D

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is a piece of wood defiant ? Is it bashing its trunk and saying 'I aint no Sapele' ?

Sorry, back in me box.

Today i mitred the smaller timbers ready for glue up. All parts have had biscuit slots for alignment done. First leg was glued up, second leg is now in the clamps, where it will stay overnight. :)

Also it turns out it's a good job i am a hoarder :lol: I was putting some timbers out the way back up onto my timber rack and noticed 2 more pieces of hardwood. I had forgotten i had 2 cill pieces from another job about the same time as all the other timber. :oops:
So being 105mm x 40mm x 2100mm / 105mm x 40mm x 1400mm i will use both of those for the stretchers, leaving my 8 x 3 inch timber for another project. (hammer)

Sorry Jon only just seen this when linking to it. Thank you, i have settled on it being sapele or maybe Saproko :mrgreen:

morfa":21yu8y4p said:
So how's it going? How much progress have you made.
It's not at the moment. I was leaving the timbers to settle for a bit after machining. Once the corner cupboard is finished i shall carry on with it. My present bench is really starting to annoy me now. :lol:

I have today came across a dilema for the bench. The job i am on at the moment has some 8'' x 8'' oak off cuts from some trusses the company made. After talking to the site agent he said no doubt they would get thrown at the end of the job. :shock:

So me being me i asked if i was still there could i have some if they did get skipped. So was told to take some now if i want. :D

Now after a quick look i spotted 2 1700mm lengths that if split down the centre would give me some 8'' x 4'' slabs for my bench. :-"

So do i carry on and use the reclaimed softwood some of which still has to be denailed etc.

Or grab those 2 1700mm oak pieces and make a nice clean looking oak top? :-k

SteveF":jrrnl2o5 said:
goog luck lifting them :D

i bet oak would make a fantastic looking bench

Steve
Funny you should say that. There is a 10ft 8 x 8 there at work and i tried lifting one end the other day. It never budged, still trying to work out to get it home :lol:

I have seen a few oak Roubo benches and they look great. Mine would just have the oak top if i decide to go that route. ;)

\From the pics, that is Sapele, i've worked with Alot of both iroko and sapele, infact pretty much endlessly until last year.

i have 8 of 8x8x8 foot lengths of maple that i have to move end to end
always in the way :(
hernia time

Steve

Back