WIP - The big one :D

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grahamshed":36fs5zls said:
I am feeling distinctly inferior here :cry:

Group hug for Graham. :)

thsmiley_huggrouphuggle.gif

You have just made me feel sooooooo much better!! 12 YEARS :lol: Happy building and i'll join you and get the carving chisels out when the skips are offering me more than short bits of drenched banana wood :)

Dean.

Sorry guys didn't realise you were waiting on me to say what it is. :-" :---)

Anyway this is what i will be making. :)

Benchplan.jpg

A nice Roubo bench. :D It won't be a posh one made from all hardwood or loads of Bench crafted hardware ( can't afford it). This will be a sort of budget Roubo bench. :)

As you can see, some sizes are not known yet. That is because until i have finished machining up timbers i won't know what is available to use.
Most of the timber i got free from when i was on extensions etc. From what i can see, the only items i have/ will purchase for this build were the timbers for the legs and the vice screws/ glue.

The top will be from old floor joists, hoping the top will be at least 90mm thick after finishing. The stretchers will be from a 5ft x 8'' x either 3'' or 4'' piece of hardwood that used to be a decorative lintel.
The front vice chop is also from a floor joist, Doug fir i think. :) That is semi machined up ready.

I cannot remember what i paid for the hardwood for the legs. :oops: Think it may have been less than £30 for the lot.

So the build will cost me around £85 ish. Not too bad really. :D

rspsteve":33860s31 said:
I have just knocked up a "bench"...first time I have made anything...nothing like as good as yours though..lol

Steve
i missed the WIP on that one Steve

I will go see if i can find it (hammer) (hammer)

Steve

Well first thing - i forgot to note the timings so far again.. #-o So as of tomorrow i will start writing down how long i spend on various bits. Yesterday / Today will be a guestimate on times of 4 hours with all the cutting/ planing / thicknessing etc.
So the Roubo bench is built with massive timbers normally. I think the traditional sizes for the legs is 6 x 6 inch :shock: , but i'm not making one that big.
I want to keep the massive look of the legs though. Hence the sizes on the 'plan' . My legs will be laminated from 3 pieces. The main section, plus those shorter sections. The shorter sections will have been ripped into 2, to make up the additional lamination.
20140203_181149.jpg

20140203_181129.jpg

The short sections will be spliced to form a larger section, which gets glued to the main leg. Not ideal, but needs must. :)

As you can see i have done a trial cut with one pair.

20140203_182440.jpg

20140203_182447.jpg

This will be a slow build, well it's lasted over 12yrs so far. :lol: I will be glueing up one leg a day to keep it stress free ish and i don't have loads of clamps to do them all at once.

SteveF":1g2rb9pm said:
rspsteve":1g2rb9pm said:
I have just knocked up a "bench"...first time I have made anything...nothing like as good as yours though..lol

Steve

Steve
So did i. It's probably next to your bandsaw build thread pics :lol: :lol: :lol:

carlb40":3tvjkgn0 said:
SteveF":3tvjkgn0 said:
rspsteve":3tvjkgn0 said:

Steve

Steve
So did i. It's probably next to your bandsaw build thread pics :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will post a pic when its done but its nothing like this but will do me for now....the bandsaw got well used though.

Steve

i will be watching this build with great interest

i forgot i needed a bench when i offered last bits of slabs to swmbo for the garden
cant go back on it now so will need to get more wood
i am promised a large lorry load in march so may wait

Steve

SteveF":2f3cdab8 said:
i will be watching this build with great interest

i forgot i needed a bench when i offered last bits of slabs to swmbo for the garden
cant go back on it now so will need to get more wood
i am promised a large lorry load in march so may wait

Steve
Cheers Steve.

Ooops but you do realise you need a bench to make stuff for the garden. ;)

Back