Windows CD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangetlh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to all you computer people. I am about to get a new pc and im passing this one on to a family member. What i want to do is wipe the pc clean and start again but as far as i can remember, i didnt have a windows back up disk with the pc when it was new. All i have is a windows works CD that has no mention of windows. So do i have to create one from my system or go out and buy one?

You'll have to buy a new one I'm afraid. Even if you had a backup CD, it would be tied to the system you're giving away and probably wouldn't activate (XP)

You can't create one from an installed OS - not any of the recent ones anyway.

Hi,

If you don't have a valid copy of XP to re-install, your computer may well have come with it pre-installed and have the back-up in a hidden partion. This means in essence, that that particular installation of Windows is manufacturer/ hardware specific and cannot be transferred to another Computer.

If you get a new computer with XP, try to ensure you buy one with a 'free' upgrade voucher to the next version of Windows. Some outlets are still selling off computers with no upgrade vouchers.

Also, it might be worthwhile checking first, which version of the next generation of Windows you would like. The reason being that the upgrade is only valid for specific a version ie, you can't buy a cheap copy of XP Home and expect to get a free copy of Vista Ultimate!

HTH

Colin

You could clear out all the stuff you dont want to pass on and leave the operating system as close to a clean new install as it can be without actually being a clean new install and then make a back up iso image of the disk which you could boot from. A long and convoluted process and not really worth the effort though as you don't really achieve anything other than a mirror image of something already installed.

Mike

Thanks everyone, just to clear one thing, im not looking to put this windows on my new pc, just literally cleaning this one off and re-booting it to factory settings, ready to pass on. ANy idead how i can do this

Do you mean factory settings with an installed operating system? If not then format c: (etc) is your friend.
If you want a fresh windows install then following the format c: shennanigans install from a proper windows cd or iso as I mentioned previously. The problem with a windows image/iso is that it isnt neccesarily a clean windows install but will carry with it all the baggage of everything else installed unless you give it a thorough clean out first. Another alternative would be to format the drives and install a Linux distro, which is the course of action I would reccomend. Ubuntu in particular is very friendly version of linux and there are versions which will run on less powerful machines as well as the latest and greatest. The learning curve, once set up, is minimal and the setup isnt difficult at all. The other benefit of this course of action is that you get full capability with all the software you need for free., and with WINE (windows api emulator) you can run a lot of windows software as well.
Mike

Evening again,

To answer that, maybe if you tell us the make/model, it will be easier.

As I mentioned before and to expand a little. Some manufacturers have the original configuration 'hidden' on the hard drive, if so and it's accessible, then it's quick and easy to 're-set' it.
The only gotcha then, is to get a destructive disk program to overwrite all empty space. This is to prevent the resurrection of any of the deleted information.

If the original configuration or disk isn't available, then just using the Windows 'Add/Remove' applet in the Control Panel will remove all programs you want to, then use something like http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/SDelete.mspx will overwrite the space released by the deleted files.

HTH

Colin

Thanks for your help everyone. Is it possible just to wipe everything out of windows and starting afresh without taking windows off then? I have got the main programmes off in the control panel add/remove programmes list but there are i lot that i dont know what they do and dont want to touch. I would just like to restore it to a pretty much as new condion so they can start again and put what they like on here.

Colin the pc is a HP Pavillion 453 with windows XP home edition.

Ha Ha!

Maybe getting somewhere now!
The Pavilion 'should' come with a program installed, called "HP or Compaq's Recovery CD-DVD Creator " if so, you need to create a set of recovery CD's. See this page:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=17700&product=307029&dlc=en&docname=bph08097

Alternatively, you may still have a program group called 'HP Tools', inside that, there should be a program called "HP PC System Recovery", if so, you'r cookin!
See this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&rule=17695&dlc=en&product=307029#bph07145_xp

If the worst comes to the worst, it is possible to get a set of recovery CD's either from HP, or from other companies. I seem to remember they are about £20 to £30 privately, but sometimes free from HP.

HTH,

Colin

Back