Why does everybody get angry easily these days?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":o4ci0cyy said:
Well stay angry then, if that's what turns you on!
Who said I'm angry? I'm just completely disagreeing with a silly statement you made, - doesn't make me angry. Perhaps a tad imbecilic for arguing with you but we all have off days :D

whatknot":1db7ib1a said:
Tuh! and I thought you were being serious, I am glad you made it clear at the end ;-)

to many people these days believe it when you say something so blatantly obvious as to require you to add additional information for clarity. better safe than sorry.

oh and they normally get really angry about it. especially when you point out how genuinely insane the theory is.

oh and just to give trolls something else, I blame religion, you may decide which and in what way.

novocaine, if you want to blame someone/thing then blame enki afterall he apparently invented us. religion is just a sort of early chinese to english user mannual written by us as he saw fit not to include one

:p

interesting, you chose Sumerian.

he was the deity of craft I guess, so it makes sense.

fancy a game of Ur?

MickCheese":qygo22v1 said:
So, my advice is, try to make peace with this guy as it can very easily turn nasty. I'm no shrinking violet, in fact far from it, confrontation does not faze me, but now much older and wiser i realise there is more to winning a war than winning a single battle.

Mick

I finished the conversation by saying I was sorry I'd upset him and that it wasn't my intention to make him angry, so I've already got part way to making peace I think. Luckily, this guy isn't a direct neighbour so I shouldn't have to see him much; and I certainly intend to just leave him well alone in future. If I do see him again and he seems alright about it, I'll say sorry again.

On the other hand, if I have further troubles, my strategy is to speak to a couple of other neighbours who have lived in the area as long as this guy and find out if they've had any trouble before. I'll also make a record of times etc. in case I do need to go to the council. I've already written down what I could remember of the conversation, so I have that in evidence if needed in the future.

I'm sure it'll be fine in the long run - might be he just was taken a back by my request and didn't mean to get upset. Could be he feels bad about it as me!

Jacob":1l732s68 said:
..... Nuisance neighbours similar - just have to try to see them as an inconvenient but natural phenomenon; when they get angry perhaps just laugh at them?

Really ? Is that what you did when your next-door neighbour was using his strimmer all day ?

RogerS":3ii4pkhc said:
Jacob":3ii4pkhc said:
..... Nuisance neighbours similar - just have to try to see them as an inconvenient but natural phenomenon; when they get angry perhaps just laugh at them?

Really ? Is that what you did when your next-door neighbour was using his strimmer all day ?
I'm amazed that you can remember this Roger - it was years and years ago. It must have struck a chord with you!
No I'm not perfect (ask BB he'll confirm this) and have been known to lose my rag.

Fitzroy":2eo7grze said:
It's a really interesting topic, most researchers in the topic tend towards the view that it's no worse today than it's ever been. There are loads of historic quotes about the feckless youth, some even attributed to Socrates, although providence is rather lacking!

F.

Oh, there's always been a feckless youth - but in centuries past annoying little sharts could be hauled away or just quietly beaten in a back alley by some public minded policeman / man-at-arms / centurion, nowadays it's more likely the policeman will get the beating by a group of 12 year olds carrying knives. Having a father figure isn't as helpful as people always think, I've come across several fathers who were just as deserving of the same treatment as Mussolini, about whom other people say is "a nice guy", one of which threatened to burn my house down.

Yes he got arrested.

Another doozy I had about 3 years ago was a guy was in the supermarket with his crash helmet on trying to talk to an obviously foreign lady working the till; oh and he had a thick South African accent. After maybe 5 minutes I suggested he take his helmet off - he promptly told me to * off and actually tried to headbutt me. Luckily I'm a bit more agile than I look and spent many years doing various martial arts. He spent the next 20 minutes restrained on the floor and he too, was arrested.

I think as has been mentioned no-one fears the police or the courts anymore. Prison should be a place whereby when you are sentenced you are hauled away screaming for mercy, most seem to be happy to get 3 square a day, TV, internet and a free university education if they fancy it.

I'd drop the lot in afghanistan and let them fight Isis or whomever, but without giving them any weaponry ofc - everyone likes a challenge right? :lol:

I think rafezetter has an excellent point. If the police arrest someone there is a fair chance unless there is video, DNA and witness evidence the CPS will decide that the chances of a successful prosecution are too low and will let them go. If they do get to court the sentencing guidelines will be interpreted in the most lenient way so they leave court laughing. If by some chance they actually get to prison they can continue harassing witnesses and run their criminal enterprises while appealing against their sentence on legal aid.

So the end result is there is no downside for the majority of those who have anger management issues.

I know someone who lives next to a family of drug dealers/ thieves/ thugs. He knows when there is to be a police raid as all the evidence is taken away the night before so the police find nothing. When they have a local policeman allocated to the area if he/she takes too much interest in the families activities he/she gets moved or asks for a transfer as they are prevented from doing their job. The person I know has had apologies from the CPS and the police about the mishandling of prosecutions against individuals in the family. Anyone who does give evidence against the family including police officers have their car/caravan/house windows thrashed/broken/set alight. The police can't do anything as their is no evidence or are unwilling to find the evidence. Despite having a restraining order against members of the family to keep them away from the person I know, if he is threatened by by one of them the police say it is a domestic and won't attend. Instead the family phone the police and say they are being threatened and the police come out straight away to interview the person I know about his threatening behaviour.

I can see the day when vigilante behaviour becomes more common, the legal system will become interested then, but only in the vigilantes.

A long time ago in a different life I used to be a Guardian Angel, one of the guys who rode the london underground at night a couple of times a week. We had pretty good ties with the met police, but when they would come to talk to us about some incident or other, while generally positive about what we did, they were always careful to make sure we understood no favor would be given if things got out of hand.

In the two and a half years I did this I don't recall any of our guys getting actually charged with assault against an offender we were trying to subdue, but it's probable there were a few close calls.

That was 28 years ago and things were better, only marginally, but they were as I don't recall gangs of young teens (11-14) looking for trouble, that previously used to be confined to mostly the poor tower block estates or reading about things that kids under 15/16 had done that made national news.

We've got a group near us that are clearly not afraid of the police, boys and more importantly equal number of girls. One of whom was just 11, I know this because she was the daughter of one of the guys that lived in the house (but she lived with her mum) - we would get frequent visits from the police, asking if we knew her whereabouts or if she had been at the house between X and Y time. Several of them already have records, not surprisingly, the guy who threatened to burn my house down is the father of two of them.

For a long time I've thought that re-introducing national service would have a good impact on kicking the "angry little p*ss-ant" out of most youth we seem to breed nowadays.

It's a four-pronged approach that is needed IMO.

(1) Make the punishment fit the crime, make it painful, awkward and embarrassing. Invest in education and training in prisons but remove TV's and cuddly toys.

(2) Put invest time, effort and money in trying to improve and educate their circumstances and opportunities.

(3) Legalise drugs. They are going to take them no matter what. Free issue them. Then put a levy on the insurance companies that corresponds to the amount that they shell out due to break-ins and robberies etc to fuel them buying drugs and feed that money back into (2)

(4) Don't give air-time to hand-wringing Guardian-readers :wink:

RogerS":3n4oeptv said:
(1) ............ Invest in education and training in prisons ............

(2) Put invest time, effort and money in trying to improve and educate their circumstances and opportunities.

(3) Legalise drugs. They are going to take them no matter what. Free issue them. Then put a levy on the insurance companies that corresponds to the amount that they shell out due to break-ins and robberies etc to fuel them buying drugs and feed that money back into (2)

(............
I'd agree with the above. You haven't become a hand-wringing Guardian reader have you Roger?
Punishment isn't relevant. It may give satisfaction to the birch wielding Telegraph readers but it doesn't address the problems and may make them worse.
I'd include alcohol in item 3 above. It's a major burden on the state and society. I say this reluctantly - being partial to a glass or two myself.

Jacob":xq52bn5d said:
RogerS":xq52bn5d said:
(1) ............ Invest in education and training in prisons ............

(............
I'd agree with the above. You haven't become a hand-wringing Guardian reader have you Roger?
Punishment isn't relevant. It may give satisfaction to the birch wielding Telegraph readers but it doesn't address the problems and may make them worse.
I'd include alcohol in item 3 above. It's a major burden on the state and society. I say this reluctantly - being partial to a glass or two myself.

Punishment most certainly IS relevant and the lack thereof has contributed to where we are today. So are you saying that when someone breaks into your house, wrecks it and leaves a nice little brown steaming present on the middle of your duvet that you will go and give them a hug and make them a nice cup of tea ? Because that hand-wringing, sack-cloth wearing approach is why we are where we are today.

Point (4) applies.

"Giving them a hug and make them a nice cup of tea plus hand-wringing, sack-cloth wearing", are not the alternatives to punishment, except in the eyes of birch wielding Telegraph readers and their ilk.
The Swedish system is supposed to work - there is punishment in loss of liberty, but a huge emphasis on rehab.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... nils-oberg
Cheaper in the long run.

Sorry Jacob. Fundamentally disagree with your naive approach. That article was written in 2014 and has been widely discredited in the light of increases in crime in Sweden. But as we'll never agree, I'll not respond to you on this point any further.

RogerS":29syv7pj said:
Sorry Jacob. Fundamentally disagree with your naive approach. That article was written in 2014 and has been widely discredited in the light of increases in crime in Sweden. But as we'll never agree, I'll not respond to you on this point any further.
Where has it been discredited? Do you have any references? I've no interest either way but would like to know what the truth is.

Legalise drugs ?? madness

That is tantamount to saying we don't know how to resolve a problem so we will make it go away by legalising it

All that would happen is the authorities would set a price and the lowlife scum that pedal the stuff would undercut that price and you are just as you are now, only worse as a lot of people would think its okay to take them as its legal

More action on the gangs making millions out of it is what we need, stiffer penalties not hugs & holidays

What next, they can't stop people speeding over 70mph so make it legal to speed up to 150mph ?

What I've realize is that western societies today are older than ever and only keep getting older, and the older generations have most of the economic and political power in our society. So IMO it's not fair to lay the blame for what you don't like with todays society on the younger generations, they aren't the ones who created it or have the power in it, but they are gonna have to live in it.

And younger generations of today, unlike the the generations since the 2nd world war, don't have anywhere near the same positive futures ahead of them with growth and good prospects, steady jobs and cheap housing. The young of today have got very little to look forward to, more temp jobs, less security, less money, no houses, no prospects, getting automated out of a life, and only having ever increasing pressure on themselves to become "market friendly" in an ever urbanized, globalized, cutthroat world.

Back