Why does everybody get angry easily these days?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertikus_maximus

Established Member
Reaction score
Wanted to just get an incident that happened yesterday off my chest (as I know there are many others on this site who might have had similar issues as mine!).

A neighbour of mine (not a next door neighbour, but his house is about 70m away from my back garden) decided to spend most of the August Bank Holiday weekend playing very loud music, which somewhat diminished my ability to enjoy the warm weather in my garden. So when he started at it again yesterday, I took my local council's advice and popped around to politely ask if he could turn it down a bit.

Needless to say, my friendly request was quickly taken offense to, and resulted in the guy effin' and jeffin' at me and generally being angry.

I just don't understand why people get so angry so easily! I don't think my request was unreasonable and I certainly didn't use any angry words in my request. I was polite and tried to be friendly (I don't want to spoil anybody else's enjoyment of life). If he disagreed with me, that's fine: but there's no need to get threatening and angry about it.

People are strange. I wish I could afford a house in the middle of the countryside with nobody else nearby!! :(

We have 'communal police' here armed with decibel meters. They write fines to people with the greatest of
pleasure. :)

Those who know they are in the wrong are usually very quick to *lose it*

It seems a diet of rubbish TV suggests to many that the first thing to do is shout & swear as much and as loudly as possible, rather than discuss it :-(

Sad lot really

bertikus_maximus":2l0wlu61 said:
Wanted to just get an incident that happened yesterday off my chest (as I know there are many others on this site who might have had similar issues as mine!).

A neighbour of mine (not a next door neighbour, but his house is about 70m away from my back garden) decided to spend most of the August Bank Holiday weekend playing very loud music, which somewhat diminished my ability to enjoy the warm weather in my garden. So when he started at it again yesterday, I took my local council's advice and popped around to politely ask if he could turn it down a bit.

Needless to say, my friendly request was quickly taken offense to, and resulted in the guy effin' and jeffin' at me and generally being angry.

I just don't understand why people get so angry so easily! I don't think my request was unreasonable and I certainly didn't use any angry words in my request. I was polite and tried to be friendly (I don't want to spoil anybody else's enjoyment of life). If he disagreed with me, that's fine: but there's no need to get threatening and angry about it.

People are strange. I wish I could afford a house in the middle of the countryside with nobody else nearby!! :(

whatknot":2djy00ev said:

It seems a diet of rubbish TV suggests to many that the first thing to do is shout & swear as much and as loudly as possible, rather than discuss it :-(

Sad lot really

I've been of the opinion for a long time that the type of behaviour acted out on Eastenders will sink into the collective psyche as being the norm.

Horrible program

Just one example of many unfortunately

So much of todays activities online or on TV/film are so over the top

The problem as I see it is getting worse as the films & TV programs get more violent and events are more drastic to outdo the previous ones

So people seem to think they have to act that way too

As in the original post, you worry about the reaction you will get for even minor things

I've been of the opinion for a long time that the type of behaviour acted out on Eastenders will sink into the collective psyche as being the norm.

Horrible program

I believe there has been a significant shift in culture in the last 25 years.

I guess its a combination of causes:

-a general lowering of respect for authority: IE towards elders, police, teachers, hospital staff

-the shift of power has now swung too far, so teachers are scared to confront any pupils in case they get falsely accused

- younger people now have a huge sense of entitlement

-rudeness seems to be accepted now at all age levels.

Mind you there have always been rude selfish people around :D

I cannot disagree with any of that

Including the part that there have always been rude (and aggressive) people

Its just that there are so many more of them nowadays :-(

RobinBHM":1opri7fr said:
I believe there has been a significant shift in culture in the last 25 years.

I guess its a combination of causes:

-a general lowering of respect for authority: IE towards elders, police, teachers, hospital staff

-the shift of power has now swung too far, so teachers are scared to confront any pupils in case they get falsely accused

- younger people now have a huge sense of entitlement

Mind you there have always been rude selfish people around :D

Sometime people are just r soles. My ex nextdoor neighbour came to me one day and asked me to stop work as his wife was working nights. I replied that my paint brush wasn't actually making a noise, and he said yes but I might make a noise when I moved the ladder. Three days later I started my week of nights and he knew I went to bed at 3.00pm, so he waited until 3.30pm before he spent three hours outside my bedroom window trying to tune up his son's car. Many of the other neighbours thought he was a great guy, but I had the last laugh. He worked in the finance industry and fled to the Canaries (where he still is) having fleeced a few of them.

RobinBHM":2txb74e3 said:

Never more true in this case - I am 30 years old (which actually happened this year.... :? ) and the guy I had this 'disagreement' with must be at least 30 years older than me as he started spouting about having 'lived here for 30 years, well before those others houses were built' (not true as my house was built in 1921...).

whatknot":2txb74e3 said:

I suspect this the root of why he got angry - because he knew it was too loud and he'd been called out on it. Interestingly, the music did get quieter about 20 minutes after the discussion; but it certainly left me rattled as I don't really like confronting people and avoid it where possible.

Sadly there are no winners in neighbour disputes.

The neighbour in the wrong, if called out on it, will always bear a grudge.

Those of us that dont like confrontations prefer to avoid arguments, but sadly selfish people force the issue.

Heres a good example:

Chav, Les Andrews gets owned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ncgyii-W36I

Not only do I agree with everything said in this thread, I would add

• Respect for authority has gone because those in authority (MPs, councils, police, church officials, teachers etc) often abused their powers & only said 'lessons will be learned' rather than being punished.

• Unstable home life. No father figure to set boundaries & lay down the rules.

• Influx of immigrants who have a completely different mindset to we who have, over several generations, had it ingrained in us to follow the law.

It's a really interesting topic, most researchers in the topic tend towards the view that it's no worse today than it's ever been. There are loads of historic quotes about the feckless youth, some even attributed to Socrates, although providence is rather lacking!

F.

Whats the expression? lies damn lies & statistics

We are repeatedly informed that the crime rate has been dropping for years

The majority who have been around a few years know full well that the crime rate isn't dropping its just not reported as nothing is done about the crime

shopping lifting is just ignored by the police in most cases

Warnings and fines are handed out left right and centre, well its less paperwork isn't it and space in prison is tight

Fitzroy":chdy3r7t said:
It's a really interesting topic, most researchers in the topic tend towards the view that it's no worse today than it's ever been. There are loads of historic quotes about the feckless youth, some even attributed to Socrates, although providence is rather lacking!

F.

Had my post deleted. An easily angered mod I presume. :lol:

Mod Edit:- No, just one who objects to you continually steering threads into political soap box areas.

As an ex-teacher (with 36 years experience) may I suggest the prime cause of lack of respect is spineless laws foisted on us by zealous, inexperienced, utterly-incapable-of seeing-consequences, bleeding-heart idealists who have never experienced a council housing estate (like the one I grew up on) and the ammoral politicians who hitch a ride on the do-gooders cause to get re-elected?

Thus, the ungodly amongst us - and they are legion - know all too well, teachers, police, et al are hamstrung, while the perpetrators of our apathetic laws live comfortably, securely, well away from the sites of conflict brought about by their incompetence, astonishing naivity and - if I'm honest - their vanity!

Bring back the birch, hard labour and conscription.

Sam

Latest posts

Back