• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Why are bobbin sanders so expensive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

NickM

Established Member
Reaction score
I've no idea but I tend to agree with you. In fact, I'd say that all machine sanders seem expensive for what they are. Given the cost of the consumables, I wonder why the price of the machine isn't made lower to suck people into the never ending cycle of buying replacement abrasive (like razors and printers).

Orraloon

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have a drill press/pillar drill then just chuck a sanding drum on it and get another function from your drill. You can also change the speed and that is something most sanders dont have. For heavy sanding a bearing on the bottom of the drum makes things more solid and will take some of the lateral forces off the quill. Some dust extraction is also a good thing to add. I came to the conclusion that bobbin sanders were way too expensive so last year I improved the way I used drums on the drill press. This was posted on another forum so hope I am not breaking rules.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/19-s ... der-222363
Regards
John

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
The live centre is a good idea.
Did you get anywhere with dust extraction?
Also has anyone made drums that you can switch the paper on easily (no Carroll no longer available)?

Trainee neophyte

[Insert witty and amusing title here]
Reaction score
If you don't value your time, you could make one - looks easy.

[youtube]AVhn_cy6ba0[/youtube]

Wrongfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Orraloon":31ocqae7 said:
If you have a drill press/pillar drill then just chuck a sanding drum on it and get another function from your drill. You can also change the speed and that is something most sanders dont have. For heavy sanding a bearing on the bottom of the drum makes things more solid and will take some of the lateral forces off the quill. Some dust extraction is also a good thing to add. I came to the conclusion that bobbin sanders were way too expensive so last year I improved the way I used drums on the drill press. This was posted on another forum so hope I am not breaking rules. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/19-s ... der-222363
Regards John
Sounds interesting from the text but we can't see the pictures without registering on the Aussie forum any chance you could re-up them here?