Why are bobbin sanders so expensive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've no idea but I tend to agree with you. In fact, I'd say that all machine sanders seem expensive for what they are. Given the cost of the consumables, I wonder why the price of the machine isn't made lower to suck people into the never ending cycle of buying replacement abrasive (like razors and printers).

If you have a drill press/pillar drill then just chuck a sanding drum on it and get another function from your drill. You can also change the speed and that is something most sanders dont have. For heavy sanding a bearing on the bottom of the drum makes things more solid and will take some of the lateral forces off the quill. Some dust extraction is also a good thing to add. I came to the conclusion that bobbin sanders were way too expensive so last year I improved the way I used drums on the drill press. This was posted on another forum so hope I am not breaking rules.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/19-s ... der-222363
Regards
John

Thanks!
The live centre is a good idea.
Did you get anywhere with dust extraction?
Also has anyone made drums that you can switch the paper on easily (no Carroll no longer available)?

Orraloon":31ocqae7 said:
If you have a drill press/pillar drill then just chuck a sanding drum on it and get another function from your drill. You can also change the speed and that is something most sanders dont have. For heavy sanding a bearing on the bottom of the drum makes things more solid and will take some of the lateral forces off the quill. Some dust extraction is also a good thing to add. I came to the conclusion that bobbin sanders were way too expensive so last year I improved the way I used drums on the drill press. This was posted on another forum so hope I am not breaking rules. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/19-s ... der-222363
Regards John

Sounds interesting from the text but we can't see the pictures without registering on the Aussie forum any chance you could re-up them here?

sander 2.JPG
sander 2.JPG
sander 1.JPG
P1010031sander.JPG

Sorry did not realise photos would not show. They are the important bits alter all.
Regards
John

Attachments

• P1010031sander.JPG
    P1010031sander.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 102
  • sander 1.JPG
    sander 1.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 103
  • sander 2.JPG
    sander 2.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 100