Who makes the best ball bearing 3” and 4” hinges these days?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I bought a load of 3” Zoo hinges, but the play in most of the hinges is ridiculous. I have a hinge fitting problem and thinking of moving some doors to 4” hinges. So hence the interest in both sizes.

I really like the Eurospec Enduromax thrust bearing hinges they do grade 13 and 14. Just properly made to good tolerances, never had a problem with them at all I have fitted them on a number of very heavy front doors and the parliament version on some double glazed French doors as well.
Not cheap mind, buy once cry once.

https://www.carlislebrass.com/produ...enduromax-grade-14-thrust-bearing-hinge-41426
The Eclipse ones are good as well (though some of their cheaper stuff is rubbish ) . Thrust Bearing - Eclipse

Ollie

Last edited:
Any grade 14 thrust bearing hinges.

Attachments

• 6EB16A13-6C9F-42A5-8D02-B735DCE9E485.png
    6EB16A13-6C9F-42A5-8D02-B735DCE9E485.png
    409.4 KB · Views: 0
A ball bearing hinge is always going to be of better quality than a simple washer type, these are good

Aged Brass 4" Ball Bearing Butt Hinge (pair) ss

I found that actually handling different hinges gave me some insight into types and quality, some are only fit for garden gates whilst others are aimed at royal palaces when you see the prices. I was also told that 3 inch hinges are used on 30mm doors and 4 inch on 40mm doors if using three hinges per door.

For internal doors I still prefer a good quality traditional 3" double phosphor washered butt hinge, there are a lot of rubbish bearing hinges out there.

I fitted some bearing eclipse ones a couple of weeks ago (came in some of those god-awful handle packs) and they were terrible, different sizes, leaves didn't line up, loads of play etc

I like how the traditional ones have smaller knuckles and thicker leaves.

There are good bearing style hinges out there as others have mentioned but as is generally the case you get what you pay for.

@Spectric I am not so sure the ball bearing ones are always better, I have had to take a few back because they were terrible.

As @Doug71 says the phosphor bronze washer ones are good if traditional look is important. I paid more for a set of 3 brass phosphor bronze hinges than the same size ball bearing ones the other day which was a bit surprising, there was no play in them but the supplied screws were garbage so I had to use slotted brass ones.

Ollie

Back