Who else thinks this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also guilty of paying for sky sports, BT sports and amazon prime for the sport.

The point about sport on TV is not so much the sport itself or the participating individuals expecting coverage - its about the stations market research that plots the schedules. BBC and Gazza Linacre apparently are hugely popular and with ITV its simply advertising revenues. Presumably ITV wouldn't screen Love Island unless it brought in huge advertising revenues?

you've known about it for 5 years, could you not have planned an alternative watch. I accept soaps are on 2 times a night every night, can you not accept football every few years?
Why not put sport on BBC2/4 and ITV2/3 It wouldn't make any difference to the people who watch it. Leave everyone else alone. Incidentally, that goes for cricket, tennis, rugby, athletics etc.

Why not put sport on BBC2/4 and ITV2/3 It wouldn't make any difference to the people who watch it. Leave everyone else alone. Incidentally, that goes for cricket, tennis, rugby, athletics etc.

I think a lot more people like sport than you imagine, I think you are the minority. A bunch of woodworkers is not a cross section of society

Cricket is the game. Not 20:20 which is just a case of brutalising a ball with a bat, but proper crricket - test or county games.

It has tactics, strategy, tedium and excitement. Watching a match for a day is an opportunity to have a couple of beers, chat to adjacent spectators, read a newspaper when tedium exceeds thrill levels. It is a social experince, not combat.

Many years ago I used to play occassionally. Rubbish at the game but the team met in a pub at lunchtime, pie and pint. Get to ground, start game, after a couple of hours have a "proper tea". Finish the game (result largely unimportant) as pubs open. Couple of pints, then go for curry.

Fresh air, sociable, moderate exercise - what's not to like!

I think a lot more people like sport than you imagine, I think you are the minority. A bunch of woodworkers is not a cross section of society
I think its a shame free to view terrestrial TV has lost so much of the sports -I think think sport should be available to watch for free for everybody.

although I hardly watch any sports myself TBH -but I do love it when I do.

I understand the concept of being none sporting, as a kid at school some kids hated PE and I suppose that carries on into adult life.
But I don't understand the selfishness, I don't care about soaps, or these programmes where they repair and do stuff up, but I don't want them moved to other lesser channels, I just watch something else or do something else. I don't whinge about people wanting to watch a bike being repaired, why would you.
Everybody should be catered for.

Nothing can top a sport which stops for afternoon tea :)

years ago I used to be involved with village cricket Sunday seconds -Ive seen fielders take their pint out with them...

Sunday league football is a classic example of unhealthy men with no talent playing a game beyond their ability. There were always one nutter per side who's sole ambition was to inflict injury. Usually it was the fat bloke warming up with a fag and a hangover.

Cricket is the game. Not 20:20 which is just a case of brutalising a ball with a bat, but proper crricket - test or county games.

It has tactics, strategy, tedium and excitement. Watching a match for a day is an opportunity to have a couple of beers, chat to adjacent spectators, read a newspaper when tedium exceeds thrill levels. It is a social experince, not combat.

Many years ago I used to play occassionally. Rubbish at the game but the team met in a pub at lunchtime, pie and pint. Get to ground, start game, after a couple of hours have a "proper tea". Finish the game (result largely unimportant) as pubs open. Couple of pints, then go for curry.

Same for me. Loved playing social cricket and enjoy watching England 🏏
Never got into watching county cricket though other than the occasional 20/20 thrash.

Having played and occasionally faced a good bowler you appreciate the vast difference between the club player and the pro. Individual battle between bowler and batsman but still a team game.

Nothing can top a sport which stops for afternoon tea :)

years ago I used to be involved with village cricket Sunday seconds -Ive seen fielders take their pint out with them...
On refreshments during the game, it is said that in WW2 during the North African campaign, German and Italian soldiers were confused and intimidated by the fact that, in the midst of battle, British tank crews would stop and brew up (tea) alongside the tank. No other Allied tank crews did this.

Agree Terry. Now in France but I supported Somerset (lived just over the border near Bampton). I was too a rubbish player and I don't think there is any cricket, anywhere in France but I still go to London to watch games. The authority are doing their best to make the game more popular, 20/20 as you say and 100 but nothing can beat a test match, hopefully of 5 days.

Tour de France just started so that’s my annual sports intake taken care of. At least with the football it looks like it’s all going to be over very soon.

And far more exciting - well yesterday was!!!

A foul on the pitch isn't a candle to a heavy fall in a cycling race!

Cheers James

And far more exciting - well yesterday was!!!

A foul on the pitch isn't a candle to a heavy fall in a cycling race!

Cheers James

They both produce broken bones and ruin careers, why not watch A&E if that's your thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back