Who do you follow on YouTube?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you can probably learn something from him. And If I were looking up how to make a specific joint or somesuch and chance up on one of his videos I might look at it before doing the real learning in the workshop. But his hatchet job with hatches makes me wonder about some of the other things as well.
He doesn't know how to chop mortices either!
But aren't they all like that - you pick and choose what to take notice of?

D_W because he doesn't seem to make anything...

You say this about once a quarter, post nothing you make, and usually in that quarter, I've posted about 5 or 10 things that's I've made. It must be intentional.

There is crispness and life to it. It looks wonderful.
I find that totally subjective, but it's an interesting rabbit hole. There is probably something we perceive to be beautiful about functionality, also forms which emulate the natural world in some way may be attractive. Obviously well executed craftsmanship is admired by those who recognise it. Apart from that, it's surely in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion.

A much more interesting discussion than the sharpening debates, or insulting other woodworkers. In my opinion.

I find that totally subjective, but it's an interesting rabbit hole. There is probably something we perceive to be beautiful about functionality, also forms which emulate the natural world in some way may be attractive. Obviously well executed craftsmanship is admired by those who recognise it. Apart from that, it's surely in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion.

A much more interesting discussion than the sharpening debates, or insulting other woodworkers. In my opinion.

I don't generally like contemporary furniture. When someone can execute a design I don't care for and it still looks nice and I find it interesting, it's extra points.

For years on here, I've talked about people trying to do fine work, talking about results and outcomes rather than methods. I see little of it on the hand tool side - and I think its two parts:
1) people aren't actually interested in it, it's too much of an obligation or they really like the methods like some people like coloring books and paint by number. which is an adult thing here now, not just for kids - like for relaxation.
2) there are a whole lot of people who have egos that won't allow them to post subpar work because they have an outsized opinion of their own standards

Two is an unfortunate consequence of manners and pretension. the solution to worrying about such things is either accept them and then move on (that doesn't mean quit or give up), or actively improve them and disregard what people who don't post anything say.

I know what's caused a few truly fine makers to leave forums, and it isn't because they just got bored.

For making of jigs an such JSK-koubou. This guy has made some exceptional jigs, some that are forehead slapping "why didn't I think of that"?

He's made his own version of Bridge City tools sliding saw cutter thing, which looks just as good if not better.

I like the usual uspects like the woodwhisperer, J Katz Moses, and the guys from Netflix's Making Fun but also these ones who are more active on instagram - TwoMooseDesign, echopeakdesign, ashleyharwoodturning, and thehouseoftimber (some of her signs are just great graphic design).

And for something outside of the box, a bit of wood craft and outdoors skills, ted.baird

I read a book on leadership a fair few years ago, and it mentioned that there were three phases to self expression.
The first phase is where you act like a sponge, taking in all the different ways to do a thing, the tools you need, the attitude to have.
The second is where you get confused because it doesn't come as easily as you thought it would.
The third is when you develop your own style and no longer need to follow other people.
A lot of the discussions around the different channels seem to flow primarily in this first phase. Then, actually getting splinters, getting your tools out, trying, failing, fixing, trying again, etc is the second phase. Once you get to the point where you can be inspired to make something, but without having to follow the directions in the article or the video, and without having to say 'I can't do that because I don't have a.....' then you have found your own style and are in that third phase.
A few times now people have approached me and shown me a picture of something and asked me if I can make it for them. I probably don't make it the same way that the original was made, or the same way that a lot of the people here would make it, but they are very happy with the result (which for me, is the main thing). However, I would not be able to be where I am now without that first phase, and all the different books and magazine articles I have read, demonstrations at woodworking shows, youtube videos etc.

Last edited:
Graham Blackburn Woodworking
Crimson Custom Guitars
Stumpy Nubs
This Old Tony
Gosforth Handyman
The Post Apocalyptic Inventor
Pask Makes
Andy Phillip Woodturning
Peter Millard
Manor Wood
John McGrath
Lisa Ramlow
TheNaturalWorkshop
Foureyes Furniture
3x3Custom - Tamar
The Carpenter's Daughter - Vikkie Lee
Sweet T Guitars
New Yorkshire Workshop
Rag 'n' Bone Brown

I don't follow anyone but Paul Sellers routine email pointed me to this: Signs of the Two planes - Paul Sellers' Blog
Seems fairly harmless, simple stuff and good advice.
I can see why he annoys our prima donnas - he's very popular and seems to have a massive following! :ROFLMAO:

Looks like he makes things up just like some other people we know! I would like to hear him name the people who broke stanley plastic handles in cold weather without dropping planes. The number would be zero.

I wonder if he got the idea to make this post because I just went on at length about quality problems in stanley's new planes. he knows a tenth of what I know about planes and less than half of what I know using them, but he can certainly make more money off of convincing people. Both old and new beginners.

I don't care how big his following is - he intentionally ignores better information than he provides and then sticks his paying customers with garbage.

The post about honing oil drying was humorous, by the way. I was assuming that you said that trolling - I hope nobody believes it, though, as some here may be new and think that's actually true.

Looks like he makes things up just like some other people we know! I would like to hear him name the people who broke stanley plastic handles in cold weather without dropping planes. The number would be zero.

I wonder if he got the idea to make this post because I just went on at length about quality problems in stanley's new planes. he knows a tenth of what I know about planes and less than half of what I know using them, but he can certainly make more money off of convincing people. Both old and new beginners.

I don't care how big his following is - he intentionally ignores better information than he provides and then sticks his paying customers with garbage.

The post about honing oil drying was humorous, by the way. I was assuming that you said that trolling - I hope nobody believes it, though, as some here may be new and think that's actually true.
Do give it a rest. Please!

Latest posts

Back