whitehead machineary

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_1380

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

The Junior Whitehead planer thicknesser I bought last year has been sat in storage since. Hopefully I can get it up and running soon.

If all's ok, I'll try and do a full rebuild as it looks scruffy. I'm annoyed as I bought as a 'fully reconditioned' unit. What they forgot to tell me is that their idea of reconditioning means painting it green with a brush! Never mind........

Anyway the point of this post; what colour should a Junior Whitehead be? Does anyone remember using them at college? Apparently that's mainly what they were made for. Information on them is limited bar DB Keighley up in West Yorks. On ebay I've seen a green one and also a grey/light blue one online somewhere. Ideally I'd like to repaint it properly in its original colour.

Any suggestions please?

It looks like they're all Green, or a Grey/ Blue with a Red logo on (hard to tell from these pics), there's not many images available either:
0c5e3_WHITEHEAD_JUNIOR.jpg

140.jpg

images

5046120331_6505675737_d.jpg

Hunggaur on this forum had a morticer for sale not too long ago here, and there was another member (Scrit I think, who had a Junior Whitehead saw), but I can't find his post. Maybe worth a pm to see if he's still got it.
Good luck with the refurb. Cheers _Dan :D

cheers Dan

Yeah the only images I can find are grey/blue or green similar to Wadkin.

I'll have a think, wont be for a while yet as I have lots of other DIY projects on the go.

I'm just wondering if I will get it back together, it looks rather complex with the sliding tables. I think lots of photographs are needed

Russ:

If your P/T is anything like the machines that Dan posted, I'd say it's really worth the full rebuild. They look pretty stout. You will likely find the original color under badges or on undisturbed areas when you begin disassembly. Failing that, you can carefully scrape off some of the new paint.

General information on machine rebuilding can be found on the OWWM.com site (which is in the process of changing it's name to vintagemachinery.org): http://wiki.owwm.com/Default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Taking lots of pictures during disassembly is a real lifesaver. Also, use lots of plastic bags to hold the nuts, bolts, and other little parts. Label each bag as you use it, and use a separate bag for each sub-assembly.

Unless something is broken, missing, or seriously worn, your bearings will be the big issue. Bearing don't really cost all that much--don't settle for cheap Chinese bearings. Buy good European, Japanese, or US made bearings.

If you need help beyond what the folks here can provide, come on over the the owwm.org discussion group. Although they won't be familiar with the specific machine (given the main focus on US and Canadian manufacturers), somebody over there will have faced whatever problem you've run into and will be able to help. Be prepared to post lots of pictures to help with your questions.

Good luck...

Kirk

Ah cheers Kirk sounds very useful.

It is a nice nice machine and If it works, or at least looks like it works I'll do a full rebuild. The main reason to clean everything up and de rust etc but whilst I'm at it I'll repaint it as the brush painting just looks nasty, they could have at least stippled the paint with a brush to give it a uniform texture (hammer)

I'll keep you posted buddy

Back