White stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coldest I've been. Kasakhstan in the winter.
most of the thermometers and the site control system registered between -30 to -35 with wind chill, you didn't go outside for longer than a few minutes without your face covered else your lips froze.
site provided PPE, thank god for that. even the camels have coats. :)

CAMEL.jpg

Attachments

• CAMEL.jpg
    CAMEL.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 566
phil.p":39rxjqz9 said:
Beau":39rxjqz9 said:
sunnybob":39rxjqz9 said:
I worked outdoors through the 77 and 78 blizzards in the west country. That hit minus 25 a few times.
Many early mornings I saw bath water frozen as it exited a house waste pipe and before it could fall into the collector. On getting home each day I had to run my hands under the cold tap (3c) to warm them up before I could put them in warm water to avoid chillblains.

It's why I now live in Cyprus, and am known as "sunny", and also why I am dreading the next three weeks.

Good luck with your northern winters.

Did it get that cold? I remember the massive snow drifts living up on the moors but not how cold it was but then I was only a youngun so pretty impervious to cold. Gone soft these days.

Working out in -20C -25C sound hideous but then cold comes with damp in the UK so I guess lower humidity makes it slight less savage. Still hats of to you heimlaga

From Wiki - The sea's influence in the south-west usually prevents cold temperatures, however temperatures can plummet during periods of cold easterly air flow: all of which have been recorded in January. In 1987 the minimum temperature recorded at St Mawgan, Cornwall was −9 °C (16 °F) and −7.2 °C (19.0 °F) was noted on the Isles of Scilly. Inland areas have experienced even colder conditions with −15 °C (5 °F) at Exeter International Airport, Devon in 1958 and at Bastreet, Cornwall in 1979. Further to the north-east of the region, temperatures reached −16.1 °C (3.0 °F) in Yeovilton, Somerset in 1982.

I remember some cold snaps in the 80s well. We live on the moors and had an easterly gale combined with night time temps of -10 and a max in the day of -7. Had to take the cows water from the house as everything else was frozen solid.

I remember years ago seeing a repeat of a programme made in Siberia where old people were interviewed about the coldest winter, iirc 1937, minus 57c or 59c. They said that if your car broke down and you attempted to pust it you would die - your hands would freeze to the bodywork then you would freeze to the spot. The birds fell out of the air frozen and smashed when they hit the ground, and you were warned not to urinate out of doors - as the stream would freeze as you were doing it and freeze your todger. :D

phil.p":11kk4kes said:
..... and freeze your todger. :D

Now I know how one of our Basset's felt a few years back when he'd walked through a snow drift and there was a little icicle hanging off the end of his todger ! :lol:

My granfather remembered when they had -47 degrees celsius at the frontline during the war. They were stationed east of the Svir river in Aunus. Probably the winter of 1941-42.
Fighting slowed down during the coldest days but it never ceased. He said it was terrible.
He got frostbite in both his legs. Treated them the best he could under those conditions but never recovered fully. Died in year 2000 from issues caused in part by that frostbite. Probably one of the last causualties of that damned war.

I’ve survived the winters of 47 and 62 in Yorkshire but moving down south in 67 , 5mm of snow paralysed the city of Southampton!
I have a little weather station in the back garden and coldest I’ve recorded in the last 40 yrs is -11.
In that frost all our patio flagstones lifted but thankfully they all went back down to their original positions undamaged.
Working on construction sites wearing ladies tights under long johns helped to keep warm.
In the early days heaters in Land Rovers were an optional extra.

Rod

I think it may have snowed here last night. :-D

100_0390a.jpg

a100_0387.jpg

a100_0388.jpg

'Sausage & Pickle' and their little red-breasted friend.
a100_0399.jpg

a100_0413.jpg

skipdiver":21ioqomf said:
Just spent an hour in my workshop and when i came out i was shocked to see a blizzard going on and an inch of snow everywhere. :shock:

Having a well insulated, windowless workshop, i usually have no idea what the weather is doing until i emerge.

Better keep your mobile with you. You could find that one day you get snowed in and have to be dug out :lol: :lol: :lol:
Malcolm

Looks like there might be a bit of shovelling to do if it does not turn to rain.
20171210_084836-1024.jpg
20171210_084846-1024.jpg
20171210_085019-1024.jpg

Attachments

• 20171210_084836-1024.jpg
    20171210_084836-1024.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 432
  • 20171210_084846-1024.jpg
    20171210_084846-1024.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 20171210_085019-1024.jpg
    20171210_085019-1024.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 432
My wife's spent seven hours and counting trying to get back from Wales to Worcestershire, only normally a 2-3 hour journey, and my 22 miles to work this morning took 2 hours, mostly thanks to stuck and 10mph drivers rather than my own vehicle.

Alexam":1800sztt said:
skipdiver":1800sztt said:
Just spent an hour in my workshop and when i came out i was shocked to see a blizzard going on and an inch of snow everywhere. :shock:

Having a well insulated, windowless workshop, i usually have no idea what the weather is doing until i emerge.

Better keep your mobile with you. You could find that one day you get snowed in and have to be dug out :lol: :lol: :lol:
Malcolm

As long as the door can be prised open enough to pass me some food and drink, i'd be quite happy. :D I always have my phone with me, so i can have Spotify on the go.

Was in Leeds all weekend and snow was forecast, but it didn't put in an appearance until we were leaving at about 2.30. When i got home to the East Coast, it was raining. :?

Back