White stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Just spent an hour in my workshop and when i came out i was shocked to see a blizzard going on and an inch of snow everywhere. :shock:

Having a well insulated, windowless workshop, i usually have no idea what the weather is doing until i emerge.

phil.p":3iqpax1v said:
Yeah, I put a long sleeved shirt on this morning.

what, under your macintosh? :lol:
I hope you lot get your weather sorted out soon, I'll be back next friday and I wont be happy if its cold.

Oh, I'm fully prepared to be miserable, dont worry.

I can put up with wind, and even rain, but cold just eats into me and I cant get warm again.

My grandchildren have a lot to answer for.

you are all talking rubbish, it's a positively lovely day here, the suns up the sky is blue.

not going outside to tell you if it's gold or not though. :)

I’m working in camberwell today and can confirm it’s just started to snow here.
My labourer is Australian and really hates the cold, he’s been wearing thermals since October I’ve left him working in Milton Keynes on a outside job, I’m just waiting for the call to say he’s calling it a day and going home

novocaine":1cps29xe said:
you are all talking rubbish, it's a positively lovely day here, the suns up the sky is blue.

Having a WA6 post code I can assure you it is cold. I have to go and install a field shelter this afternoon. I can wrap up warm but I know my hands will get cold despite the gloves. At leats it is not raining and the ground may actually be hard enough to stop me sinking in the mud.

HappyHacker":38uorub1 said:
Having a WA6 post code I can assure you it is cold. I have to go and install a field shelter this afternoon. I can wrap up warm but I know my hands will get cold despite the gloves. At leats it is not raining and the ground may actually be hard enough to stop me sinking in the mud.

I'll own up, I was being rather facetious with my previous post.
I cycled to work for 7am this morning, it was decidely cold, so much so that I think it's time to instigate phase 3 of the "ride your bike in winter" clothing range, this involves another layer on the top, a different pair of overshoes, a pair of inner gloves and a pair of ski gloves, a beany under the helmet and a fleece lined buff around the neck.

phase 2 was 2 layers, light overshoes and neoprene gloves. (which I can highly recommend for keep hands warm, aldi had a set in recently)

lucky the ride is only short, wa13 to wa4. :)

While there was ice on the puddles the ground was soft. The loader has left the field looking like the Somme. While the ground where the shelter went started out OK it was thick mud by the time we had finished and I look as if I have been mud wrestling. All my clothes are now in the washing machine. On top of that as I opened the gate into the field the 9" oak gate post broke.

HappyHacker":2a4umiza said:
novocaine":2a4umiza said:

I use those self-heating hand-warmers...brilliant ...

Hi Recently got home after a craft show in doors in Worcester. Really bright sun, but cold!!!!! Had to keep dashing to the loo (the only warm room). Bad news is, I'm there again tomorrow (Friday) and in a tent at Croome Court on Sat and Sun!!!! Will therefore go with Novocaine's suggestion of Phase 3 clothing!

Phil

Seiffen.jpg

DateTime : 2017:11:20 13:45:16

Sat on the runway whilst they de-iced the 'plane this afternoon, so guess it's on the way.

Attachments

• Seiffen.jpg
    Seiffen.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,273
Well....... Having worked in construction trough a few winters I rekon cold weather starts at -20 celsius or thereabout. Depending on whether it is windy or not. Around -25 construction work outdoors definitely gets unbearable except for very important emergency fixes.
My standard dress in such weather is long johns plus three pairs of thick winter thousers of which one pair reaches up to my armpits. A collage shirt plus a thick knitted woollen sweater and two or three thick winter jackets. An overall on top of all that. Three pairs of socks of which two are home knitted from wool inside oversize leather booths. Then the trick is to work slowly and steadily all day.

The coldest weather I have ever been outside in was when we had -38 degrees celsius one morning when I was in vocational school. I walked half a kilometre through the woods with snow halfways up to my knees to get to the car which brought be to school. Not fun but indeeed bearable.
A few stayed home from school that morning and some came a bit late but largely it was business as usual everywhere.

As you Brits are tough enough to cope with your almost freezing indoor temperatures whick would kill a finn in a week you should be able to cope with -40 outdoors too :wink:

heimlaga..I realize that you do live in a cold climate, but hth do you even move with all that on? BTW, I think -25f was about the coldest that I have been exposed to,can't remember to clearly tho',I think my brain was frozen.

I worked outdoors through the 77 and 78 blizzards in the west country. That hit minus 25 a few times.
Many early mornings I saw bath water frozen as it exited a house waste pipe and before it could fall into the collector. On getting home each day I had to run my hands under the cold tap (3c) to warm them up before I could put them in warm water to avoid chillblains.

It's why I now live in Cyprus, and am known as "sunny", and also why I am dreading the next three weeks.

Good luck with your northern winters.

sunnybob":a5q1ne9r said:
I worked outdoors through the 77 and 78 blizzards in the west country. That hit minus 25 a few times.
Many early mornings I saw bath water frozen as it exited a house waste pipe and before it could fall into the collector. On getting home each day I had to run my hands under the cold tap (3c) to warm them up before I could put them in warm water to avoid chillblains.

It's why I now live in Cyprus, and am known as "sunny", and also why I am dreading the next three weeks.

Did it get that cold? I remember the massive snow drifts living up on the moors but not how cold it was but then I was only a youngun so pretty impervious to cold. Gone soft these days.

Working out in -20C -25C sound hideous but then cold comes with damp in the UK so I guess lower humidity makes it slight less savage. Still hats of to you heimlaga

I was a milkman at that time, it being the best paid job I could get.
I started work at 3am. Believe me, it was that cold and felt even colder than that in the dark. One morning around 5 am I was sat in the cab of an UNHEATED electric milk float (no engine, no doors) wearing 27 items of clothing (yes, I did a count up right there) and couldnt feel my fingers or toes and almost chucked the job there and then. I had 2 young children at home though.
all the bottles of milk had 2" of frozen cream sticking out the tops.

At its worst I followed a JCB across the curry rivel road, the snow had drifted across the flat fields and piled between the hedges. It was 12 feet deep, right up the top of the hedge that was on both sides of the road. The digger took a scoop, turned to the side and dumped it over the hedge, turned back, took a scoop, dumped it over the hedge, and on and on and on for a quarter mile and all I could do was sit there edging forwards behind him before i could get past him. Lost count of the times I had to dig the truck out of snowdrifts or get a tractor to pull me clear.

I would be happy to die without ever seeing snow again. Even xmas cards depress me.

Beau":ybfrry34 said:
sunnybob":ybfrry34 said:

Did it get that cold? I remember the massive snow drifts living up on the moors but not how cold it was but then I was only a youngun so pretty impervious to cold. Gone soft these days.

Working out in -20C -25C sound hideous but then cold comes with damp in the UK so I guess lower humidity makes it slight less savage. Still hats of to you heimlaga

From Wiki - The sea's influence in the south-west usually prevents cold temperatures, however temperatures can plummet during periods of cold easterly air flow: all of which have been recorded in January. In 1987 the minimum temperature recorded at St Mawgan, Cornwall was −9 °C (16 °F) and −7.2 °C (19.0 °F) was noted on the Isles of Scilly. Inland areas have experienced even colder conditions with −15 °C (5 °F) at Exeter International Airport, Devon in 1958 and at Bastreet, Cornwall in 1979. Further to the north-east of the region, temperatures reached −16.1 °C (3.0 °F) in Yeovilton, Somerset in 1982.

Back