Log Cabin Workshop 3.5m x 4.5m

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I helped my brother-in-law to erect a Dunster House garden room after he had installed the base which was larger than the footprint of the building. At the time, I thought that building a row of brick around the outline and below the floor bearers would have been a good approach, with a strip dpc on top. It would require a bit of precision and initially slow progress but should have long term benefits.

I helped my brother-in-law to erect a Dunster House garden room after he had installed the base which was larger than the footprint of the building. At the time, I thought that building a row of brick around the outline and below the floor bearers would have been a good approach, with a strip dpc on top. It would require a bit of precision and initially slow progress but should have long term benefits.

The problem here is that dunster cabins are specifically sized to meet roof height limits so they don't require PP. Adding even 1 row of bricks would raise the building above permitted height. I guess you could omit some of the logs from the walls to compensate.

The problem here is that dunster cabins are specifically sized to meet roof height limits so they don't require PP. Adding even 1 row of bricks would raise the building above permitted height. I guess you could omit some of the logs from the walls to compensate.
That begs the question - what is the datum for the 2.5m limitation? I've not seen any definition, so it's down to the inspector's opinion.
Brian

That is an interesting idea but I am afraid that this could mess-up the fitting of the doors requiring more adaptation and sure it would void the warranty.

One idea I have considered is to substitute the pressure treated wood bearers for a composite material of same height.

That begs the question - what is the datum for the 2.5m limitation? I've not seen any definition, so it's down to the inspector's opinion.
Brian
This is what is written on the Government's Permitted development rights for householders Technical Guidance

"Height” - references to height (for example, the heights of the eaves on a house extension) is the height measured from ground level. (Note, ground level is the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in question, and would not include any addition laid on top of the ground such as decking. Where ground level is not uniform (for example if the ground is sloping), then the ground level is the highest part of the surface of the ground next to the building.).

Workshop Update:
Dunster House delivered today, as agreed.
The components look well machined and the wood seam fine. Doors and windows look well executed (and super heavy).
If the weather allows it I will start building the cabin tomorrow. I have booked Monday and Tuesday off work so I can build it taking my time.
I will upload pictures tomorrow.

This is what is written on the Government's Permitted development rights for householders Technical Guidance

"Height” - references to height (for example, the heights of the eaves on a house extension) is the height measured from ground level. (Note, ground level is the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in question, and would not include any addition laid on top of the ground such as decking. Where ground level is not uniform (for example if the ground is sloping), then the ground level is the highest part of the surface of the ground next to the building.).
So if you were to build up a mound where she'd was to be sited, say a metre, then height us taken from there?

If you excavated a metre, then had a 3.4 metre high building, would you get away with it. As it is then being only 2.4m above the mound?

Sachakins
I think the term is "natural sloping ground". Whether your created mound is considered natural would be for a planning officer to decide but I expect time its been there etc would be considered. If it was natural then what you are saying is basically, to my understanding, correct. Lots of websites explaning it, Planning Jungle etc.

Wait until you read about the unlimited front extension you used to be able to do if you think this is surprising

Mark

So if you were to build up a mound where she'd was to be sited, say a metre, then height us taken from there?

If you excavated a metre, then had a 3.4 metre high building, would you get away with it. As it is then being only 2.4m above the mound?
Hi @Sachakins
That's a good question to which I don't have the answer. My case was pretty straight forward but I still applied for a certificate of lawfulness. If I had a situation like the one you described, I would probably have a previous consultation with that planning officer, or at least include a explicit detail on my certificate of lawfulness application.

I believe this is allowed whereas generating an artificial mound to increase the baseline for ‘ground level’ isn’t.
If in doubt though just ask. In my limited experience, planning authorities are happy to advise what is or isn’t likely to be permitted development.

I think you'll find the relevant ground level is the 'original ground level'. So 3.4m in a 1 metre deep pit would be fine, building a mound above the original ground level wouldn't help. Similarly, if you dug out a 1m deep terrace on sloping ground then it would be the ground level by the retaining wall, so the other side could be higher. Remember as well, it is different if the garden building is more than 2 metres from the property boundary at its closest point, then you can go a bit higher.

A slow start

IMG_4416.jpeg

I believe this is allowed whereas generating an artificial mound to increase the baseline for ‘ground level’ isn’t.
If in doubt though just ask. In my limited experience, planning authorities are happy to advise what is or isn’t likely to be permitted development.
"happy to advise" certainly, but you are likely to get a personal opinion/interpretation or even an adopted position that may or may not be accurate.
Heights are measured from the highest point of the established ground level adjacent to the footprint of the building.

Back