Which Router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a 1/4" router and reasonably priced, which is small and powerful? I currently have the Makita 3612 but want a smaller router i can more easily carry about. I want to use it for mostly the trend hinge and lock jigs, but also powerrful enough for most duties.

Cheers

DaveH":13jlj1no said:
Hi,

I am looking for a 1/4" router and reasonably priced, which is small and powerful? I currently have the Makita 3612 but want a smaller router i can more easily carry about. I want to use it for mostly the trend hinge and lock jigs, but also powerrful enough for most duties.

Cheers
Dave
Using your Makita router will do all that you wish to achieve all I can ask is you look at how the template guides are used to complete your projects
Tom

Change the record Tom!

What about the Dewalt DW621K? Only weight like 4kg and can be had cheaply? Couple on ebay for £160ish. Is that too much?

I was going to recommend the DW621k too but thought it might be a bit over your budget. I am very pleased with mine and the dust extraction is superb.

I was thinking of the trend t5 maybe, but i will look into the dewalt. How do they compare?

I have the Dewalt 621K and I love it.

It's really light (3.1kg), has a good fine adjuster and dust extraction through one column which works really well with a vacuum extractor.

I might be wrong - please correct me if so- but I don't think the T5 has the fine adjuster that the Dewalt has.

The Dewalt also has much better dust extraction through the column. I router a 3/4" slot in MDF recently and I was seriously impressed. Very little escaped.

It slightly lopsided due to the heavier dust extraction column but Pat Warner has a great review and a base you can make to compensate if it's required.

Pat Warner and Ron Fox both give excellent reviews of the 621k. Pat Warner has his on hs website and Ron Fox has some videos on Get Woodworking.

Hi, DaveH

Hitachi M8V, nice light rugred router and some times very cheap secondhand.

Pete

Got myslef the Dewalt 621 and its a great bit of kit, quite quiet for a router i thought as well. Very good and solid machine, used it a few times on the hinge and lock jigs performed great :lol:

I have a De Walt 615 which is the model without the dust extraction. I have had it for yers and it performs very well indeed. Nice and light too. I don't think you can go wrong with a De Walt.

The T5 does have a fine adjuster.

If you are looking for a deal, go look at the Trend website. The have b&c grade stock at good prices. You might also consider the T4 which is great value for money.

Cheers

Steve

Back