Which planer/thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, me again with another question: :D

I am not sure whether to buy a planer/ thicknesser or just a thicknesser.

I like the look of this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod801596/

because it has a digital thickness guide, which if accurate, I would presume make life a little easier?

Am I right in thinking the difference between a planer and a thicknesser is that the latter is autofeed and the former is not? Is it possible to use a thicknesser as a plane?

I know I am an silly person, but soon I hope not to be :mrgreen:

Not thats not right.

A planer is the first step. You flatten 2 sides. Then you do the other 2 sides. A thicknesser without a planer when using rough sawn timber is of little use. Its fine if your using stuff thats already been planned and you just want to reduce the thickness. Watch this, it will answer all of your questions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ZZ0dhbJYY

I would say, don't fall into the trap I did. I bought a combined Axminster model that was very good. The AWPT106 I think it was. But the mode changing did my nut in.

Then I bought separates but wasn't happy with the one I'd got. Then I sold them and went back to a smaller combined machine. Which again was good but annoying to change.

Save up and buy a decent single machine, the CT150 from Axminster is a great machine but also watch out for second hand machines. Then for a thicknesser the lunchbox ones like the dewalt and axminster one you linked are ok but they are SOOO noisy, it would be worth putting money towards a floor standing induction motor one. By the time you've gone through what I did, £450, £200, £180, £170 on machines you could have bought a really nice machine. The only combined machine I'd get is either the Jet 260 model for 1k or any of the sedgewich models as they don't have any real conversion messing between modes.

I'd get the Axminster TH410 410mm Thicknesser and the Axminster CT150. Loads of good second hand models of the latter about. Have a realstic budget of about 1k+. If you haven't got that budget at the moment I'd get a smaller machine like the little axy for £180 ish thats good and save up for a bigger set up rather than go halfway between the two.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought I'd put my question here (and take advantage of previous advice) rather than start a new one (with possible advice duplication..again)

My quandary is I've been offered a dewalt dw1150 for £350, which seems to be popular both here and on ebay, but add costs to get it and it's £400 to me.

I've been looking about and seen the SIP 01552 Power Feed Planer Thicknesser for £299, which is obviously new and has 2 year warranty - it has smaller jointing capacity but larger thicknessing - and it's likely I'll rarely if ever get close to either of those in use.

BUT... is it worth spending the extra for the dewalt, is it that much more of a machine (ignore the morticing attachment for now)? Another thing to consider is the SIP has aluminium beds as it'll be stored and used under cover but outside, all weathers, and I'm concerned about the iron beds of the dewalt.

The seller has very kindly put it on hold for me (for a day or so) until I get some better expert advice as I have no idea what's best to look for in these machines.

Chems":2h9obap0 said:
I would say, don't fall into the trap I did. I bought a combined Axminster model that was very good. The AWPT106 I think it was. But the mode changing did my nut in.

Then I bought separates but wasn't happy with the one I'd got. Then I sold them and went back to a smaller combined machine. Which again was good but annoying to change.

Save up and buy a decent single machine, the CT150 from Axminster is a great machine but also watch out for second hand machines. Then for a thicknesser the lunchbox ones like the dewalt and axminster one you linked are ok but they are SOOO noisy, it would be worth putting money towards a floor standing induction motor one. By the time you've gone through what I did, £450, £200, £180, £170 on machines you could have bought a really nice machine. The only combined machine I'd get is either the Jet 260 model for 1k or any of the sedgewich models as they don't have any real conversion messing between modes.

I'd get the Axminster TH410 410mm Thicknesser and the Axminster CT150. Loads of good second hand models of the latter about. Have a realstic budget of about 1k+. If you haven't got that budget at the moment I'd get a smaller machine like the little axy for £180 ish thats good and save up for a bigger set up rather than go halfway between the two.

I couldn't agree more with this...I also bought cheap originally...got totally bummed with the changeover from planning to thicknessing so held breath and shelled out £1300 for a Startrite SD300 that is all cast iron (fence can take a magjig featherboard) and the changeover is one lift of the outfeed. I also wanted long and wide beds, particularly long as I found you cant really do long stock otherwise and I wanted a 3 knife cutterblock for decent finish sake. The startrite is awesome. Don't buy cheap or you'll just buy twice. If you cant afford one new...wait till the right 2nd hand one comes up

Thanks Bob, I'd read your similar advice in another thread, but I'm a hobbyist who's "allowed time for making noise" is extremely restricted, ( and spacewise too) and I doubt I'd get the use out of 2 machines costing £1800 combined.

Could anyone possibly give advice on how effective and stable the cast aluminium beds are in relation to the firmer cast iron?

Rafezetter, I'd work backwards - what size of material do you expect to be using now and in the immediate future as this will dictate to some extent the type of machine/s.

Also, I would question the siting of a thicknesser outdoors, aluminium bed or not. It still has exposed and vulnerable metal aside from the bed.

shed9":3katke3l said:
Rafezetter, I'd work backwards - what size of material do you expect to be using now and in the immediate future as this will dictate to some extent the type of machine/s.

Also, I would question the siting of a thicknesser outdoors, aluminium bed or not. It still has exposed and vulnerable metal aside from the bed.

Unfortunately I have little choice at least in the immediate future to keep it outside, I was going to cover it when not used with a tarp and get one of the VCI pots to sit in it. (dunno if adding hessian sheet under the tarp will help to absorb the vci and distribute it.) I've also bought some Boeshield spray as it was still on offer 2 for 1, and it'll do for my other machines.

For the size, I do have some old 12" planks that need doing so losing an inch each side isn't an issue (if I bought the dewalt), but so far that's the only wood of that width I have.

I must have missed that bit....you're planning to store this outside under a tarp?? You might be quicker just setting fire to your money! Honestly I really wouldn't do that under any circumstances. Can't you build/buy a small wooden shed and install it in that?

I was trying to think of a constructive response while reading through the thread then came to Bob's last post.

He's spot on really. I can't think of many (any?) machines that would last outdoors let alone hobby style. They'll get eaten alive I'm afraid. Unless you really, really need them now you might be better waiting until you can house them decently?

in relation to the aluminium beds; i got a second hand elektra beckum and the beds seem sturdy enough, its a combination machine and changing over is a bit annoying but managable.
as for getting "eaten alive", i have it in a shed and its never got wet, but the cutter block is getting rusty-must be the damp air. i think it would be difficult to keep it properly dry outside.
Anyway good luck! i know its not easy for the amateur juggling between space, budget, time etc

Thanks all for the advice, not what I wanted to hear, but obviously very sound nonetheless.

It would be under a lean to cover so no rain or water would get to it directly, but obviously damp air is still a problem. I do have a shed and I guess it is doable to house it in there when not in use, but surely a "quite well ventilated" (drafty) shed will essentially be the same as under a lean to cover but otherwise dry? Surely most normal sheds aren't airtight?

Apologies for the incessant questions, but it looks like I need advice to ensure I don't make an expensive mistake.

Hi rafezetter,

I think I know the machine you are talking about (Dewalt DW1150) Personally I would bite Alan's arm off for it at that price. If its the same machine as you are talking about this machine is in excellent condition (I have seen it a couple of times) and to be honest if your going to store it outside I would have to agree with Bob just set fire to your money. It would be a shame to see such a nice machine wrecked by leaving it outside.

I was watching the same model on ebay two weeks ago and it went for £540 that machine had been well used Alan's machine is in excellent condition and needs to be looked after and not stuck outside. I will point out it's a big machine probably to big to be man handled by one person but a great machine all the same especially as the mortise attachment comes with it as well.

Cheers

Graham

Grayo":c3uutj4e said:
Hi rafezetter,

I think I know the machine you are talking about (Dewalt DW1150) Personally I would bite Alan's arm off for it at that price. If its the same machine as you are talking about this machine is in excellent condition (I have seen it a couple of times) and to be honest if your going to store it outside I would have to agree with Bob just set fire to your money. It would be a shame to see such a nice machine wrecked by leaving it outside.

I was watching the same model on ebay two weeks ago and it went for £540 that machine had been well used Alan's machine is in excellent condition and needs to be looked after and not stuck outside. I will point out it's a big machine probably to big to be man handled by one person but a great machine all the same especially as the mortise attachment comes with it as well.

Cheers

Graham

Yes, that's the one. When you say too big for one person, you mean to move about or just to use? I'm still kinda hoping against hope that if I made space to at least store it in my shed (which sounds pretty much a must) that my drafty shed will be better than just under a leanto outside. I don't think making it un-drafty is something that can be done quickly (it's not terrible, but you can feel the air move inside when it's windy), I'm guessing not in a time frame Altheo would be willing to wait, plus half of the concrete slab it sits on is outside so it still gets moisture creep after a few days of rain, which then evaporates inside.

I really didn't want it to drag out as long as it has and Altheo has been more than patient, so unless anyone can give me some experienced answers for the above, I might have to let this good opportunity pass.

A shed will be better at least it is out of the weather. Also as there is a draught there should be no condensation etc however a good wax will keep the beds protected and make sliding timber over them easier.

You could always make a mobile base to move it about, i'm not sure there are too many PT's that need 2 people to operate them. So i think Graham means it would be easier to move with 2 people, but the mobile base would sort that. :)

rafezetter":2z1cwsij said:
Grayo":2z1cwsij said:
Hi rafezetter,

Cheers

Graham

Yes, that's the one. When you say too big for one person, you mean to move about or just to use? I'm still kinda hoping against hope that if I made space to at least store it in my shed (which sounds pretty much a must) that my drafty shed will be better than just under a leanto outside. I don't think making it un-drafty is something that can be done quickly (it's not terrible, but you can feel the air move inside when it's windy), I'm guessing not in a time frame Altheo would be willing to wait, plus half of the concrete slab it sits on is outside so it still gets moisture creep after a few days of rain, which then evaporates inside.

I really didn't want it to drag out as long as it has and Altheo has been more than patient, so unless anyone can give me some experienced answers for the above, I might have to let this good opportunity pass.

Yes it's to big for one person to move around. I think it weighs 100kg + and is a big lump of a machine. Had I not already bought a planer/thicknesser after I missed the other Dewalt DW1150 two weeks ago I would have had it it's a cracking machine but now I realise it would have been to big even for me as I would have had to move it in and out of a storage area in my garage every time I wanted to use it.

HTH

Graham

carlb40":3quzwh99 said:
A shed will be better at least it is out of the weather. Also as there is a draught there should be no condensation etc however a good wax will keep the beds protected and make sliding timber over them easier.

You could always make a mobile base to move it about, i'm not sure there are too many PT's that need 2 people to operate them. So i think Graham means it would be easier to move with 2 people, but the mobile base would sort that. :)

Hi Carl,

Yes it comes with a solid wooden base but no wheels which could be easily sorted I know. It is a very big machine you have the motor sticking out on one side and the mortise attachment sticking out on the other side with a wide table in between. At a rough guess I would say around 3ft + long by at least 2.5ft wide a big lump.

Cheers

Graham

Yeah i was considering one years ago, not sure why i changed my mind. Having had a quick look for the weight it seems to be between 75 - 80kg which is easy for one person. I think my axi planer is 80 kg and i can move that around on my own. In fact i assembled it on my own when i bought it years ago. ;)

Latest posts

Back