Which mitre gauge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before but here goes...

Can we have a roundup of what after market mitre gauges people use on their table saws?

Got my new saw and the stock gauge is not far off being a useful doorstop. Time to upgrade but I don't know which to buy or where even in the UK to buy.

Anyone help?

There are two makes oput there that you might want to consider, The Osbourne and the Incra.

I have the Osbourne and am very happy with the accuracy that it it give. But I also understand the Incra is equally as good and depending who you talk too, better than the Osbourne.

The one remaining problem is that you have to buy the Osbourne directly from the US, whereas Rutlands and I'm sure other places do the Incra.

Others will be along.

Incra, Osbourne, Kregg, Jessem all make high quality mitre gauges but it dosn't stop with the gauge all have add on fences and all are quite expensive.

I've got the jessem Mite R Excel
7100.jpg

Perfection :)

Hi Mart,

Hope you are enjoying your new saw.

I have the Incra 1000SE, cost about £130. It is perfectly accurate. It also has vernier scale, so that you can set angles to within 1/10 degree. (Not that I have ever used this feature).

Unlike the other makes metioned, Incra do a range of mitre gauges ranging from £59-£160. As they all use the same principle of a laser cut notched protractor, I'm sure they are all equally accurate.
Also check out the incra website as they have some good information and videos on their products.

I can only comment on Incra though, as I never used any of the others.

If you are a Norm fan, you may want to look at the Osbourne EB 3. I was going to get this, but having to buy it from th US put me off. (shiiping costs and times)

Hope this helps

Oh I don't know. I really wanted the Osborne but getting one is a nightmare.

I'm looking at Rutlands and there is way too much choice. I like both the JessEm and Incr but just have no idea which way to go.

Anyone else pleeeeeeease offer any aditional advice?

Why don't you buy direct from Osborne? Think it's less than $120 + Shipping etc at the moment.
FWW did a group test las year and the JDS Accumitre came out tops. Much more robust than the EB3. Having used both I'd tend to agree.
If I was going to upgrade from the JDS I'd happily go for the Jessem.

Cheers for the advice. The JessEm is back in the running then. Anyone offer a comparison on the Incra? The 1000 currently looks the better as the angles go both sides of 0.

I suppose the 2000 is more expensive because it is notched every degree, whereas the 100 is every 5 degrees and you have to use the vernier scale to get between the 5 degrees. Not really a problem though.
It also looks like the 2000 has a longer fence.

I like the the flip stop on the 1000SE as you can set up two stop lengths and flip one out of the way. Useful for frames.

Hi martlewis,

Contrary to what you say, I have just ordered an EB3 from Osbourne today. Funny enough it turns out I was corresponding with Dave Osbourne directly, who was most accommodating wrt my requests.

He has a special on now and together with postage I have paid £83 with delivery 4-10 days. Actually I have only ever waited 5 days for goods from the US.

Something to consider - unless you need it now :shock:

Cheers.

Have been talking to someone about mitre slots and the subject of metric and imperial has come up. Anyone shed light on this, especialy as to wether the SIP has a standard imperial slot?

martlewis":1n4fsakg said:
Have been talking to someone about mitre slots and the subject of metric and imperial has come up. Anyone shed light on this, especialy as to wether the SIP has a standard imperial slot?

The sip is a standard 3/4"

The SIP's mitre slots are 3/4 x 3/8 which according to Incra is standard, or as standard as these things get.

I do not know about the Osbourne but the Incra's have 6 expansion points, which can be adjusted to stop any movement of the bar in a mitre slot that maybe a bit bigger then it's stated 3/4".

Cheers

Mike

Back