Which Digital SLR....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
........would any of you good folks please recommend in the £250 - £350 bracket.
:D
Thanks

Mark

Hi Woody, google shows a CANON for £284..... by KIKATEC, Canon are a well respected manufacturer, I take it you were'nt after a mercedes benz, they are a LITTLE bit more costly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich.

Mark,

a bit depends on whether you have a film SLR. If you have, most of the lenses for film SLR's are compatible with the digital SLR's from the same maker, and you would therefore be more likely to stick with the same manufacturer. I used to have a Canon EOS 500, and when that died recently, I had no hesitation (after a lot of research, mind you), in opting for a Canon EOS 400D.

Depending on the available deals and the lens options you are after, this could well fall within your price range........and I would heartily recommend it. I think it is a wonderful piece of kit, and the controls are quite readily picked up (I think instinctive sums it up quite well).

If you are retaining old lenses to use with a new body, then remember that the focal length will not be the same as it was when used with the film camera. With the Canon the ratio is about 1.6............ie, a 50mm lens on the old film camera will actually be around an 80mm focal length on the digital version. This can be really handy with long range stuff (a 200mm lens becomes 320, which gets you quite close in to that lion 100 yards away!), but does mean that group photos of your family at Christmas might mean you standing 5 or 10 yards further away than you did with the old film camera.

There is a strong Nikon competitor for the Canon EOS400D, but I am not sure of its name. They came joint top of a "What Digital Camera" magazine poll of digital SLR's last year.......and that would also be one of my best tips........go and get a few magazines, google around a bit, and ask as many people as you can.

Good luck.........and I'm sure you will get lots of varied opinions on here......

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mark,

I think Mike has already said most of what I was going to ( thanks Mike ). When I changed to digital a couple of years ago I went down the Nikon route and bought a second hand D70 from Mifsuds in Brixham, I bought this camera purely and simply because I already had Nikon lenses in my kit which I had used with the F50 film camera. Since buying the D70 I haven't looked back having taken 1000's of photo's and only had to have the sensor cleaned once.

I think if I were looking now I would have 2 choices either Canon or Nikon, for me Nikon works and I'm quite happy with it, but at the end of the day it's your choice.

If you do go down the Nikon route be wary of the D60, I know there are limitations with this camera in some way, but at time of typing I can't remember in what way, so it might be best to read some online reviews.

Hope this helps and hasn't thrown a spanner in the works.

Regards

Steve :)

I think Ed Sutton on this forum uses a D80 take a look at he's pics might give you an idea of quality.

Before I got fully addicted to woodworking, I went down the route of photography. I love to look at photographic images, my other half and i share the same tastes in this area. For some reason I could never get the technical side of photography. I can compose a shot very well. But I've never broken out of auto settings.

My camera is a Nikon D50 and I really like Nikon camera's as a whole. There is a brilliant website that you can spend hours on written by a guy called Ken Rockwell. Go have a look he's a realy nice guy.

I moderate here -

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/

You will find so much info on camera choices it may get even more baffling than it is already.

Simple answer is that there is no 'bad' DSLR that you should avoid. You could compare lots of different features but it really comes down to what feels right for you - so go hold some cameras first if you can.

With help from others on the forum I wrote up this choosing guidewhich may be of some help

Thanks for your suggestions fellas.....but I'm a bit of er....an SLR virgin.. :oops: I've had several compacts and generally enjoy photography and now feel it's time to upscale. :D

Do any of the DSRL s have built in flash, or will I have to budget for an add-on?

Sorry for being a numpty.And thanks again.

Mark

I think Robert is right - go and hold some, and get one that seems comfortable in the hand. I have a Nikon D70, which falls to my hand very naturally and I'm prepared to put up with a couple of idiosyncrasies. Pentax used to advertise with the slogan 'Just hold a Pentax'.

All DSLRs have built-in flash, I believe. I can't remember ever seeing one without, but you may wish to upgrade it.

Higher end models don't have built in flash but all the mainstream ones do.

Go read the article I linked to - it was written with you in mind :)

RobertMP":2dqxe7wi said:
Go read the article I linked to - it was written with you in mind :)

Unfortunately, the forum doesn't seem to allow me to view that article as I am not a signed up member.......

really? I didn't realise that :oops:

I'll check with admin to see if it was intentional. Guess you could just join to see it. I can guarantee you will not get any junk mail etc by joining.

edit - The tutorials section is something you can only see after you have joined so my apologies. Joining is free if you wanted to view it.

We have a 3 year old Canon EOS 350D that is great. I can use it in Point-and-Shoot mode and SWMBO can play with all of the advanced settings.

My advise would be to go into somewhere like Jessops and talk to them. When we did it, they were quite willing to let us try the cameras to see which we liked the best.

Hiya

Some great advice here so far, I will add a couple of comments of my own if I might.

Forget quality as such as all the DSLR brands are excellent and will provide more capability than you will be able to handle right now. When you buy a DSLR you are buying into a "system" of lenses, flash units and handling characteristics. The last is the most important and how your hands fit a camera has the most impact on usability and flexibility. The three major brands right now are Nikon, Canon and Sony (took over the Minolta brand as well as its own stuff). Nikon is the traditional Pro brand but since the consumer DSLR took of have battled with Canon for the starter DSLR market as well as the high end. Both brands have ardent fans who will declare until the end of the earth that their favourite brand is the best. Sony is the new boy with very exciting high and low end DSLR and all three have large lens ranges (huge in the case of Canon and Nikon).

Beg or borrow a Nikon, Canon and Sony from a friend or dealer and choose the body and handling you like, also factor in lenses as good lenses can bump up the budget but can be purchased at a later date. Also factor in a tripod if you are going to be taking pictures of your projects inside and/or landscape pictures, but again can be a later purchase.

HTH

Oh me? I thought you would never ask ..... I am a Nikon fan with a very old pro spec D1h camera, cost new about £5000 6 years ago and can be bought second hand for £200 now. Not many megapixels (2.77) but really great pixels. Still used by pros and probably took more pro sports images than any other camera for 4 years. Posted this once before here I think.

DSC_0010.jpg

If you like really nice engineering and toys, take a look at 2-3 year old pro cameras, they can be got for a song.

Well my recommendation will be going against the flow here.

I've got a Canon 40D and a Fuji finepix 4800Z but the DSLR it not in your price bracket as will be the case in most DSLR's so why everyone are recommending what they have I do not know. Even the cheapest on the market is only the starting point with a basic lens. and you could afford a 400D but.....

So I'm recommending not a DSLR but Canon Digital IXUS 960 IS Silver priced anywhere between £130-£200 depending from where you buy. It's head and shoulders above a basic DSLR

Thanks ever so much again fellas. I'm edging towards the Nikon D60....... :-k unless someone else wants to scream NOOOOOOOOOO :wink: I've read good reviews so far.

Off to Jessops the morrow methinks, and I appreciate the advice of getting my hands on one to test the "feel". It is so true; even the look of the bloomin' things can influence you. We've got several compacts and I still like aluminium bodied, crisply designed ones (my Fuji Finepix J10 is a little peach)

Thanks

Mark :D

As said above your can't really go wrong with ANY DSLR. Nikon are arguably the leaders and I wouldn't ever buy any other brand. My missus and her family have al ended up with nikon point and shoots because of my recommendations and they love them. Nikon know how to make a cameras for the photographer. I certainly wouldn't buy a Sony anything

Mark

I'm in the same boat as you. I've narrowed it down to the Nikon D60, Sony A200 and the Canon EOS 1000D. A visit to Jessops in the afternoon to have a chat but at the moment it's all even.

I've been looking over the http://www.cameralabs.com website which has alot of reviews and videos to offer, maybe worth a look before going to purchase.

I'd recommend listing the features that you want (eg. anti-shake, anti-dust technologies) and then look at http://www.dpreview.com/
The buying guide on that site lets you search for cameras with different features.

Not all have anti-shake built into the bodies and these need more expensive anti-shake lenses if you want that feature. Some have it built into the body so it's applied to any lens (even 20+year old lenses in the case of my Minolta).
Some of the older models will not have anti-dust technology to help combat dust on the sensor - mine doesn't and I have the occasional problem that I have to use a blower to fix.

On the lens front - depending on the range you want to work at there several options - buy the camera with the kit lens, buy the camera with kit lens and one other lens, buy the camera body with a third party lens with a wide zoom range. One advantage of my Minolta (and all current Sonys) is that old Minolta auto-focus lenses are compatible and there's a lively market for them on Ebay.

The way I bought mine was to decide on a maximum price, go to Jessops and hold all the cameras up to the max. price. I chose the one that fitted into my hand the best and felt the most comfortable.

Before xmas there was a Which guide on sale that had a short review of all available DSLRs

Duncan

Back