Which paper towel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for workshop paper towel please? Just general use, applying oils and finishes, wiping up etc?

Thanks 👍

I have a box of ripped up bedsheets, T-shirts, tea towels, cotton socks, etc, anything that isn't full of synthetics. They do all of my excess glue wiping, spill soaking, and finish application duties. The only time I don't use them is for CA finishing pens. For that kitchen paper towels work nicely. When the day comes where I haven't the strength to rip or cut up cloth stuff I'll look at shop towels. 😉

Pete

Thanks all, I'd been looking on Amazon (pesky search results almost always seem to end up taking me there) and the reviews put me off somewhat. Some mentioned the blue colour leeching out with some etc etc. I got fed up trying to find something reasonable.

There's a lot of variation in the quality of blue paper towel. The good stuff is more expensive.
Don't buy from screwfix or B&Q, they used to sell a quality branded roll but swapped to cheap rubbish a few years ago. It leaves lint everywhere.

Nowadays I keep lidl's best own brand kitchen roll for jobs that need absorbent, and lidl's big white paper roll that they stock every few months. That isn't very absorbent and has a thinner, harder feel to it.

I get the white version of blue roll from Eurocell, pretty cheap and nice and strong/ dense. Unlike many I have tried.
I would not use a paper towel for any type of finishing though. Buy a bale of rag or use old T shirts.

Ollie

I've started using Scott multipurpose shop towel that was recommended somewhere on the web for taking off/polishing in Monocoat. It works fantastically, doesn't leave any lint or dye behind.

Halfords sell it by the roll if you want to try it, I get it from Amazon now, I think it was £32 for 10 rolls. - I only use it for finishing, everything else I use the big blue rolls you can get pretty much anywhere.

Back