Which digital calipers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive found a digital caliper very useful in a joinery shop and is a tool thats used very often, most days probably.

I know sometimes we all are tempted to buy things that are electronic and digital when often such things are less accurate and less reliable than their mechanical alternatives, but for a modest sum a digital caliper is a very worthwhile addition to the toolkit. They are quite robust, easy to read and the ability to be zeroed is very useful when making comparative measurements.

Digitsl thermometers however are a different story, cheap ones can be hugely inaccurate, whilst a cheap traditional one may be quite accurate.

I have these, bought for £9.99 a year ago ,now they are just £8.79
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-6-150mm-Di ... 2212941106

btw I saw someone had posted in this thread 1:1 the same calipers, but with Sealey brand for £43... lol..what a rip-off

I have nothing really to compare them with, but they have excellent build quality , compared to my friends mitutoyo calipers which are I think 6x more expensive and there was 0!!!! difference
I have had to change the battery once ( I think it lasted about half-year), I got 10 of those batteries for £1 from ebay, so will be enough for countless of years..

Seriously I have no idea why would anyone need to pay more..

owsnap":36akkyfi said:
I have these, bought for £9.99 a year ago ,now they are just £8.79
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-6-150mm-Di ... 2212941106
I have exactly the same but bought from a different source some while ago and for about the same price. Have worked well, no problems, battery lasts about a year and the reading is accurate enough for my use.

MattRoberts":2sx5b185 said:
They may be accurate, but they're rubbish quality. I have a pair.

It switches on the second it's touched, and it needs zeroing each time you use it. Mine also needs to be snapped back into place on occasion, as if the plastic part is coming loose.

I'd be happy to pay more for a more robust pair of anyone has a recommendation?

The cheap ones are never really off. They continually draw current and drain the batteries.

Back