WHICH CIRCULAR SAW?????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark.R

Established Member
Reaction score
:?
In the past I have never paid for a good quality small circular saw, but am in need of one very soon. The ones that I have had have been Black & Decker etc. I am referring to the 190mm diameter saws, which weigh approx 5kgs.

What I have noticed with circular saws, including some I have seen at exhibitions, is that they sound dreadful when they run as if there is a "bag of sand" in the workings.

Could any of you list a make/model that you have found good or bad, to enable me to buy one that is a pleasure to work with and that sounds smooth running.

This reference may help others to decide also.

Many thanks

Mark.r

Hi Mark,

I use a Makita 5704R, as recommended to me by a professional kitchen fitter. The motor runs like silk slipping through a maidens fingers, all the adjustments move freely but lock very firmly into place. the whole thing just oozes quality; love it!

I use a Skill Classic circular saw and have had it for too many years to care to remember! It has served me very well and I have put it through it's paces believe me. :shock: In all that time all I have ever done is replace blades on it. I like the one finger action to set the depth and a simple turn of a wingnut to set the angle. Still in it's same case too after all these years. :wink:

Some very good saws are quite noisy - I think to do with electronic management of load - eg Festool.

I'd second the Makita 190 mm (7 1/2") 5704R, terrific saw. I use mine a lot for breaking down sheet material into managable sizes.

Hi, I am currently using a Makita 18v LXT circular saw and it's great.
It cuts through sheet material easily and you don't have to worry about the cable....
The motor is super quiet compared to 240v machines, the motor is braked and it's portability is a big strong point for me.

Here's the link

Click Me!

Cheers Matt.

I'm another vote for the Makita 18V LXT cordless saw - Not really had the chance to use my one much yet, but I did use it to saw up my old picnic table - It was so good, it felt like I was cheating.

Another vote for the Makita 190mm

I've used it to cut down loads of ply sheet, and even rip 2" timber (If only i had a T/S :idea: )

Compared to the Black and Decker / B+Q specials I've owned you can tell the difference straight away!

The only downside I find is the cable is a little short. Wouldn't mind trying the Lithium cordless kit, as the 14v Ryobi cordless one I have is a bit weedy, and battery life is rubbish. Until I've sorted out other more important kit though I'll put up with wires, and a very nice saw!

Si

Budget wise, I wouldn't want to spend much more that £150.00. I think I should get a tidy one for that.

The thought of cordless sound great in not having the cable to contend with all the time. My only doubt with them is battery life. Its always the same when you are halfway through a job, the battery goes flat! Also, what is their power like?

I think I will stick with 240 volts, and would like one that is a solid construction and sounds smooth running,unlike the ones I have used in the past.

It`s good to hear from the replies that the Makita`s sound smooth running.

Cordless saws tend to have a poor quality of cut due to the very thin blades that causes vibration when under load. The plus side is that they are quiet running, dont throw the waste about so much and stop instantly but try ripping some 2" timber down and they'll drain very quickly.
Cheers Andy

I have just laid a laminate floor today and used my cordless Makita saw to make the cross cuts. The room is approx 13' x 9' (117 sq/f) and all cuts were made using 1 battery which has not discharged fully. I have 3 18V 3.0Ah batteries so have plenty of scope and power available.

Cheers Matt

My makita 18v could just about keep up with the charger ie 1hr when cutting noggins for studwork. Rafter feet would drain both batteries in no time and the blades have to be kept very sharp so as to not sap the batteries. As with all things battery tools are good for intermittent work but they wont keep up with heavy work. I as a pro can justify £350 for a cordless sds drill but most hobbyists cant, nevertheless I still have to take the corded counterparts to work aswell, these cost a fraction of the price and will last much longer and do much more work.
For your pound it has to be a corded and the makita is probably the best bang for your buck but I would still go for the hitachi C7BU2 myself. As the Yanks say 'Your mileage may vary'

Back