Which Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchallender

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this is a well trodden path but I need some advice on which bandsaw to buy.

Basically I need a bandsaw which I can use for both wood and metal work projects as I also do a bit of modelling engineering so would like something that is capable of machining a bit of sheet steel as well as a block of wood.

I'm looking for something that is relatively small and won't take up too much room, but I am open to it being bench mounted or a free standing piece of kit.

Anyway I thought I would ask the question and see what your opinions are, I haven't set a budget yet but I guess I had the figure of £200 - £600 in mind.

Any advice opinions gratefully received as always

rgds

Darren

This is quite a demanding requirement as the cutting speed for wood and that for steel have at least a 10:1 ratio and 20:1 would be better.
Both applications are going to need similar power so this really puts it outside the speed variation that can be achieved by a single belt drive alone.

Startrite made a range of saws with a two speed gearbox and a 5 speed pulley belt drive giving 10 speeds and these were very capable for both wood and metal.

These have model numbers such as 14-S-10. The 14 is the throat depth in inches and the 10 refers to the number of speeds.
They do come up on ebay in your budget range, sometimes needing a bit of work which I assume you could do being a model engineer. All the bearings can be bought quite cheaply from bearing factors.

With a little more work you could adapt a single speed -3 phase machine as I have with a combination of pulley changes and an electronic speed controller. see this thread
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/modi ... 38613.html

If you need any further info then please ask.

Bob

You done a great job on that bandsaw Bob, any chance you could pop down and give mine the once over,, :) . lol,,

Cheers

Dave

I can't promise housecalls Dave (especially to foreign parts! :lol: :lol: ) but I'm happy to offer help by email if you need it.

Cheers

Bob

9fingers":ta528720 said:
especially to foreign parts! :lol: :lol:

LMAO Foreign parts indeed,, I might take you up on that offer bob once i am settled with the conversion, taking longer than i thought, but I'll get their in the end.

Cheers for the offer m8 i appreciate it.

Dave

tisdai":2yyz1m0p said:
9fingers":2yyz1m0p said:
especially to foreign parts! :lol: :lol:

LMAO Foreign parts indeed,, I might take you up on that offer bob once i am settled with the conversion, taking longer than i thought, but I'll get their in the end.

Cheers for the offer m8 i appreciate it.

Dave

Which bandsaw do you have Dave?

Bob

Hi Bob

I have the Axminster AWHBS350N,
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awhbs350n-bandsaw-prod804525/
It has 2 speeds 600 & 720, the reason i will want to change the speed is that i cut Aluninium and stainless steel from time to time and i use a jigsaw for doing it.

It would be a hell of a lot easier with the bandsaw and i will get a better finish, which means less faffing about grinding it and cleaning the edges.

Cheers

Dave

If you have the space, I'd strongly advise against trying to use the same saw for wood and metal. My 352 is claimed to have a big enough speed range to do both, but the thought of trying to clear up all the cutting fluid and swarf to make the saw fit for wood after metal is totally daunting.
I solved the problem with a secondhand Axi horizontal saw for metal - has no proper coolant feed so you need to slosh stuff on the cut every so often, but at £60 plus one of Tuffsaws metal cutting blades, it saves an awful lot of hassle.

Dick,
There is a solid bar of waxy stuff you can use to lubricate a metal cutting blade and it does not make a mess like normal cutting fluids.

I used to 'evaluate' it from work so don't know where to get it now but I could ask if you were interested.

Cheers

Bob

tisdai":b8hpvd5g said:
Hi Bob

It has 2 speeds 600 & 720, the reason i will want to change the speed is that i cut Aluninium and stainless steel from time to time and i use a jigsaw for doing it.

It would be a hell of a lot easier with the bandsaw and i will get a better finish, which means less faffing about grinding it and cleaning the edges.

Cheers

Dave

Dave you need to be around 50-100m/min for steel cutting which is going to take some serious work on that saw to achieve. Do you have a 3phase motor or a single phase?
Aluminium would be OK on 200-400m/min which would be easier to do.

Have you used the very thin cutting discs that are now available for angle grinders? I have some 0.8mm thick and they are superb for steel of all types including hardened hss tool bits and cutting up old hacksaw blades etc.

cheers

Bob

Thanks for the replies and information, I have to admit I was wondering whether I should get two bits of kit and keep them seperate, I guess that's what I'll do :D

Just got to tell the budget holder now :shock:

Bob - I shall keep my eye on ebay to see if there is anything suitable

Again many thanks

rgds

Darren

9fingers":1tb7rmy9 said:
tisdai":1tb7rmy9 said:
Hi Bob

Cheers

Dave

Dave you need to be around 50-100m/min for steel cutting which is going to take some serious work on that saw to achieve. Do you have a 3phase motor or a single phase?
Aluminium would be OK on 200-400m/min which would be easier to do.

Have you used the very thin cutting discs that are now available for angle grinders? I have some 0.8mm thick and they are superb for steel of all types including hardened hss tool bits and cutting up old hacksaw blades etc.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

I only need it to cut arround 1mm thick ali and the same for stainless, i use it for modding the odd PC case. I will look into the Discs for my grinder and try it that way next time.

Cheers m8 appreciate it.

Dave

Cheers Bob appreciate the link i will order a few tomorrow, will have them ready for when i need them for my next modding.

Dave

Back