Help - Issues with new pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillMiller

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a new Record Power DP58P which I am struggling with. I have assembled the machine as per the instructions and had a couple of practice drills in which everything seemed fine. When it came to drilling the actual work piece the bit stalled on the second hole. Even with the lightest pressure the bit stops turning on contact with the wood.
A bit of investigation showed that the nut at the top of the front pulley, picture attached, keeps working its way free. I assume this shouldn't happen but I can't think how to stop it.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Will

Attachments

• IMG_20231001_105754.jpg
    IMG_20231001_105754.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Will, the grease, I assume, should be light and only applied to the quill.
I'd take the pulley off and thoroughly degrease it.
Cheers, Andy

It happens with mine every now and again, same model drill. I just tighten it and wait for it to happen again. Irritating but not the end of the world.

There is a manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/904390/Record-Power-Dp58p.html
I think you are talking about parts 5, 6 and 7 on page 20.

You could clean parts 5 and 7 and use Loctite to retain the nut.

If your skills are up to it, make a locking plate for the nut.

Have a look on commercial vehicle wheels. They have a plastic gizmo that goes over the wheelnuts that has a point on it. You install them with the points aligned and if you later see two points not aligned, you know the wheelnut has come loose.

Make something to the same design (3D printed), but where the point is, drill a hole in it and put a screw through into the body of the pulley. Then the nut cannot rotate relative to the pulley.

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_locking_device#/media/File:Nut_lock_plate.svg

What about a nyloc or locknut? Split pin?

Please click on the photograph he provided.

Where would the split pin go? It cannot go through the centre of the shaft as that is hollow to accommodate the up and down movement of the quill.

Compare the thickness to diameter proportion of the nut shown in the photo to the same proportion of a standard nyloc nut. Are they similar?

What I have done in the past is cut out to size I think you would call it a tabbed washer very easy to do bend one tab down one tab up.

image_2023-10-02_103236310.png

Thorougly degrease and loctite should do it or as Phill05 suggests or after cleaning use a nail punch on the top/side of the threaded portion (to the nut) to lock the nut onto the thread

A tabbed washer will only work if there is a corresponding flat on the shaft to fix the washer too. Maybe a spring or shake proof washer would be better

A tabbed washer will only work if there is a corresponding flat on the shaft to fix the washer too. Maybe a spring or shake proof washer would be better
There is usually a keyway in the pulley that one tab bends down into and t'other tab bends up outside of nut reason for long and short tabs.

...one tab bends down into and t'other tab bends up outside of nut...

That style would also work by bending just one tab upwards and putting a self tapping screw (a roll pin would also do) through the other tab and into the pulley. It would not need to look as artistic as the photo. A simple rectangle of steel with a hole drilled slightly one side of centre on the long side would do.

Have you spoken to Record Power.. they may have a fix/encountered this before
Usually that drive wheel is on a spline or key way so if the nut comes loose it won’t stop the drill bit turning.Belt tension too loose or grease on the belt or too much force during drilling causing the belt too slip.

Back