Border around pillar drill stand to stop sawdust?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjgtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, so my pillar drill sits on a metal stand, the stand has a ply top.
When I use the pillar drill all the sawdust goes everywhere!
Is it worth fitting a small border around the edge of my work stand, to catch most of the sawdust, so it does not go all over the floor?
I was thinking just screws some 2x1 timber battons around the rear and two sides of the work stand top, so theres effectively a small border around the edge.
I'm also thinking of getting some flexible tubing to permanently attach to the drilling area, to connect up to the hoover, ( I have a "Henry" sort of vacuum) which can then be directed near the bit whilst drilling. That would hopefully catch most of the sawdust.
I'm a bit OCD about mess!!! 🤦‍♂️

You could put a lip/border around the top but this might cause you problems with longer pieces that sit on the lip and not flat to the table,the flexible tubing is a good idea providing you can keep it out of the way of the drilling,a semi rigid tube that can be placed more accurately might be better.

You could put a lip/border around the top but this might cause you problems with longer pieces that sit on the lip and not flat to the table,the flexible tubing is a good idea providing you can keep it out of the way of the drilling ,a semi rigid tube that can be placed more accurately might be better.
It should not get in the way, I'm talking about the work stand that the pillar drill sits on, so its below the pillar drill stand (base plate), which itself is below the moveable drilling table holder. Sorry think I did not explain it well. So when drilling the sawdust falls off the drilling table holder, onto the pillar drill base plate, which is sitting on the work stand. My idea is to batton the edges of the work stand (not the pillar drill base plate or drilling platform). Hopefully this will then effectively be a catchment area for sawdust etc, which will stop it (or most of it) from then falling on the floor, and it can be easily hoovered up. (y)

If you are going to use a standard house vacuum I would highly recommend making a simple bucket cyclone. It's quite amazing how well they work, and will save you filling your vacuum with sawdust. Just have a look on youtube. I made a 2 bucket version out of an old 10litre paint bucket and a clear smaller bucket, so i can see all the dust/chips wizzing around.

If using the set up for lots of wood, the sort of table Rockler and Axminster sell can be easily replicated with a vacuum cleaner take off point. Mine is still an unfinished project that I can lift off and fit to the drill table secured with clamps underneath. Chronos sell a budget one, but check out the Axi and Rockler fences and look for an angled plastic connector piece https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/new-drill-press-tables/

I bought the Rockler fittings kit as a clearance item. It is rather large, and the fence splits ( can be used on router tables) This is what the back of the fence
IMG_8991.JPG
looks like for a vac, a strong plastic pipe/bottle or wooden box could be fabricated but needs to be slim to avoid the pillar

Back