Which Air Filter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a huge difference besides price between the Jet AFS-500 at £219.50 [ Axminster ] and the Microclene MC420 £138.99 [ Kendal Tools ]
I quite like the idea of hanging the MC420 from the ceiling, and being £80.00 cheaper, it's very tempting if it's as good as the Jet.

Hi Pete
I got the Jet AFS500 for my birthday a few months ago and am very happy with it. I picked it over the Microclene due to its lower noise level. I can have it on top speed and still listen to the cricket on the radio. (I'm an expat Aussie so perhaps I should have picked the noisier Microclene) ;)
I figured if it doesn't irritate me with the noise level I am more likely to use it.
Howie

Appreciate the info Howie and Alan...I think the Jet wins it over the Microclene if it makes less noise. Would you say the Record AC400 is fairly quite Alan? This could be a nice compromise :)

PeteG,

It's hard for me to compare it with an equivalent but I'd say at the lowest speed setting it is fairly quiet, put it this way I usually have some music playing when I'm working but I never have to turn it up above "normal" to drown out the noise of the AF. Even when I don't have any other background noise I don't tend to notice it.

I was in your position last year when it came to choose an AF and did consider the Microclene amongst other makes & models but what persuaded me towards the Record was not only the price but the ability to leave the unit running for a set time after you've left - I cant tell you enough what a really useful feature that is to have. It also has a remote control which is very handy too (as long as you remember where you've put it).

Alan

Really appreciate the help Alan, and I think the Record is the one I'll go with. I see they supply all the fittings for hanging as well!

Pete.

Back