Which 18v Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
owsnap":3vmaradm said:
ColeyS1":3vmaradm said:
Non genuine makita batteries have really came down in price now!

Coley
Anyone have used one of those for more than a couple of months and can report back if they are as good? :roll: Need a couple new batteries myself.
I got some non-genuine bosch batteries and they are just as good as the real ones but cost 4!!! yes 4x less..
the non-genuine makitas cost 2.5-3x less than the real ones.
I've had one for 3yrs plus and it's no different than a makita one. I also bought 2 really really cheap ones £34 for 2 3ah, that was about 18 months ago.
I thought id see the latest prices a while back and found the clones are now offered in higher amps. For example 4 4ah batteries for 80 quid.

For sds I've always used a makita 24v. The nimh batteries slowly began dying and at over a 100 quid a pop, I searched for an alternative. The 18 volt sds is superb.I mainly use it for rawl plug fixings and the odd bit of chasing- doing that and I see no drop in performance compared to the 24v. If you need to smash larger longer holes through masonry all day, I imagine it'd struggle ;)
Makitas range is really impressive. Out of curiosity I just googled 18v dewalt planer- it might perform well but look at the state of it !! :lol:

Coley

RossJarvis":296wbw7l said:

I've got the Makita DHP 481 (battery combi drill) and in most instances it'll do anything My Bosch GBH 2-26 DFR SDS rotary hammer drill will do apart from locked chuck hammering. You've got to see it to believe it in concrete. Mixing plaster or render on a constant run will get through battery life, but not if you've got a spare on charge.

I bought the same drill back in August and can count on one hand how many times I have had to get my Bosch SDS from the van to drill masonry since then. With a Bosch Multiconstruction drill bit in the chuck it goes through brick and block almost as quickly as a SDS: stone and concrete is a tad slower, but not bad enough to warrant a trip back to the van unless I have a lot of holes to drill.

Oh, and it core drills! I've only tried a 2.1/2" core so far, but I don't doubt it could handle a larger one. (I use the screwdriver torque setting as a couch)

Petey83

An impact will be well used if you get into commercial sparking, self drilling screws into steel are quicker and easier (but louder :) ) with an impact driver - spade bits and small forstners with a hex fitting will drop into an impact for tight space joist drilling.

Good luck with the job change - I hope to be able to scrape enough cash for a domestic installers course next year, fingers crossed.

Ross

Re dewalt nailers, we've had 1 replaced under warranty after two failed repair attempts and the other one has not long come back from being repaired (same fault). They are a good gun but don't quite have the outright power of the paslode gas guns and they are a touch heavier, they are very good on battery life.
If you are nailing softwood framing together all day then it's a great tool, very convenient with no gas or cold weather problems to worry about. If you want any more info pm me and I'll do my best to answer your questions.
Also... The 16 gauge brushless gun is lots of fun :D

Oh yeah, multi tool blades can be revived for rough cutting of timber with a thin (1mm) cutting disk on an angle grinder, cut a small notch every 3rd tooth or so and you'll get a bit more life out of a blade - takes me about 20 seconds, with a cordless grinder of course :lol:

No skills":k1bpuwiw said:
Petey83

An impact will be well used if you get into commercial sparking, self drilling screws into steel are quicker and easier (but louder :) ) with an impact driver - spade bits and small forstners with a hex fitting will drop into an impact for tight space joist drilling.

Good luck with the job change - I hope to be able to scrape enough cash for a domestic installers course next year, fingers crossed

It's a domestic installers course I am doing with the commercial / 3 phase system modules attached so I can do commercial but won't be qualified to design commercial instillations. Costing me £3k and is Saturdays and Sunday classes so I'll be a busy boy in the new year. Plan is to stay in the office job for a bit and try and pick up little jobs like light fittings or periodic tests etc at weekends.

No skills":3ksxwvbv said:
Able skills course by any chance?

No access training - they all seem reasonably similar price wise so it just comes down to training centre location and class schedules really.

So just thought I'd update this with a mini overview of what I ended up buying yesterday.

I ended up going with Dewalt despite being pretty nailed on to Makita before walking into ITS. Part of my reasoning ended up being the fact I already had two 2mah batteries from an impact driver I bought earlier this year which has held up pretty well with just the usual cosmetic blemishes. The other factor I took into consideration is Dewalts push on their new 54v technology. All the 54v batterie are backwards comprise with 18v tools and although I don't currently have a use for any of their 54v stable it does not mean I won't in future as they seem to be bringing out a lot of bits.

So the kit I went for is this http://www.its.co.uk/pd/DCK550M3T-Dewal ... 550M3T.htm

It means I no have 2 impact drivers so one will be moved on at some point as a bare tool.

The Combi Drill DCD795 - I had decided I didn't want a heavy duty drill which despite it feeling quality, ruled out the big brushless Makita mentioned on this thread. I thought about what I do with a drill in the workshop or around the house and what I am likely to do with it once I start sparking. The answers I came up with were working over head and drilling holes in wood up to circa 30mm as well as fixings into brick work. A general duty type drill filled all these needs and saved on unnecessary weight which means drilling out holes for spot lights won't be so bad - weight was the one thing that put me off the Festool PDC I have - when plaster bording my ceilings recently it was just to heavy to be comfy able for prolonged over head work. Comparing this Dewalt to its Makita equivalent in store 2 things stood out, it had more Torque at 60nm and it had a Metal chuck where the Makita had rubber. In the hand it feels good and balances nicely with with a 2mah or 4 mah battery attached. I've not out it to use yet but I don't foresee any issues within the confines of why I need it to do. I have a corded SDS for big jobs and a cordless SDS wil likely be going on the wish list now.

The Impct Driver DCF886 - already had this driver as had bought one a few months ago when facing the entire re bording of the downstairs of my house with T&G chip. Impacts are really much of a muchness for me although I will say I prefer a mates old brushed Makita just for the heft it ha which seems to make it easier to control. That said this Dewalt ha served me well the last 3 months and I especially like the 3 LED halo around the chuck. When I oroginally bought this driver it came with the 2mah batteries which gave it plenty of run time but made it feel a tad unbalanced. The 4mah batteries sort this small niggle out and I expect to continue to be perfectly happy with this impact driver. One will be finding its way into the for sale section at some point as a naked tool so I'll hopefully get a few quid back.

The Circular Saw DCS391 - this was always a nice to have and never something I really needed. I already have a TS55 and when we started renovation work on the new house I went and bought a Bosch GKS190 for all the rough work - cutting cruddy chip floor or OSB with the Festool was not something I was keen on. The Dewalt seems well made all though the lower retractable blade guard is polycarbonate (plastic to you and me) so how well it holds up and lasts remains to be seen. It feels to have plenty of power and is a good weight. Interesting they have swapped the motor housing to the right side of the tool as you hold it which means right handers like myself can now directly see what the bode is cutting with ease which makes the 0 mark on the base less critical. This is a good thing as the 0mark is not the easiest to follow I have seen. The blade is a basic 24 tooth thin kerf affair which suits the tools intended use. What I like about this is it's now as scary to use as the big powerful corded Bosch I have. Using this one handed or on its side to cut timer fixed in situ does not seem like it would be quite the game of Russian roulette that doing it with the Bosch would be. This would of be really handy when I was boarding out my loft! Looking a future uses I have more chip T&G to lay in the house and decking to do next summer. In terms of using when I start sparking I see more limited use although the thin kerf lends itself to being used to cut the tongues on old T&G flooring before lifting. I've discovered this stuff is a nightmare to get up!

The Jigsaw DCS331 - jigsaws have always been a tool I've never got quite right. I started life with a cheap corded D handle Metabo which was solid if not spectacular. It did what had to be done but I never felt comfy able using it from an ergonomic standpoint. The Carvex was next as this was bought at the height of my Festool addiction. I got the barrel grip version as i thought this would be more economically suited to me but I've never quite got used to it. The Carbex is a great machine but it's a tool that demands time to set up. I wanted a jigsaw I could just pick up and use for the tasks I need it for - scribing fitted units, cutting in for pipes and the like when laying floor and quick roughy cutting to size of timber. The Dewalt is a brushed jigsaw but feels smooth and well made. handling wise I love it as the D handle is at an angle which makes it comfy able to use. The trigger is responsive and it has plenty of power for a cordless. I do think it's a pretty ugly machine and looking at the front of it makes me think of steam trials for some reason!!. The quick change blade mechanism is nice and chunky and works well. It does not eject the blade and send it flying which seems to be the fashionable thing but this is something I like as I've lost a fair few jigsaw blades down cracks in flooring or under units now yet I've never had the need to rapidly swap out differ net bodes when using a jigsaw which is what this feature is supposed to be for as it prevents you burning fingers on a hot blade. I can usually just set the tool down for 2 minutes to allow it to cool down before changing. The base can be angled without the need for a hex key but I will say it lacks the positive stop when returning to zero so this is something I'll need to test. The major down point for me is the lack of an LED job light. This is something I've come to almost rely on when using a jigsaw as I've found myself more often than not using it in situations where the cut line is cast in shadow by myself leaning over to cut. This alone is the one reason I've not dirtied the tools yet as I'm still 50/50 on returning it! It would be a shame as I love the way the tool handles and despite the new Makita brushless feeling slightly better made it did not fit as well. We will see......

The Torch - what can I say, it's a torch / work light that seems to be pretty standard in all these kits. It's nice and bright and does not weigh much. The angle head is a nice feature and I expect this will make a good inspection light but it's no way a working light.

All the tools aside from the torch are made in the Czech Republic. I'm not necessarily against stuff made in China, after all they the skill to have an active some programme, home designed and built goth generation fighter jets and a nuclear capability but tools made in China seem to be made there for cost as opposed to the potential China has for quality engineering.

I feel I should also mention the T Stack cases Dewalt provides these tools in. Systainer a they are not but when you stop looking at them in this light and think about where they were intended for, namely use in building sites then they start to make a lot more sense. Everything is big and chunky so you can open easily with gloves on and they are all made of tough, thick ABS type plastic which although not as nice to look at seems to be tougher feeling than even the mighty systainer.

well good luck with the kit, however had quick glance over the tool specs on that site and seems like just a regular average tools-nothing special about them..
also - 70 Minute Charger , is it for real? 70minutes to charge a battery?
the only good thing I can see is that the drill/impact are brushless, but again when comparing the specs they come on par with the almost the very cheapest makitas

£600 for that.. :|
adding it all up and when you would take the best models from makita range, it comes around the same price for the same type of tools- of course not put together as 1 kit which you can just buy with 1 click of a button :)

Well good luck either way :)
and congrats on a new kit.

owsnap":1anw7o88 said:
well good luck with the kit, however had quick glance over the tool specs on that site and seems like just a regular average tools-nothing special about them..
also - 70 Minute Charger , is it for real? 70minutes to charge a battery?
the only good thing I can see is that the drill/impact are brushless, but again when comparing the specs they come on par with the almost the very cheapest makitas

£600 for that.. :|
adding it all up and when you would take the best models from makita range, it comes around the same price for the same type of tools- of course not put together as 1 kit which you can just buy with 1 click of a button :)

Well good luck either way :)
and congrats on a new kit.

Funny - as I read this I've just asked to return the kit and replace with this Makita kit http://www.its.co.uk/pd/6LMJ-Makita-18v ... AK6LMJ.htm (I got it cheaper than shown).

My reason really being the lack of LED on the jigsaw... A small thing maybe but it was going to bug me and I knew I'd regret it. The fact the charger was 70min was something I had overlooked initially but now adds weight to it going back. Shame as the tools were good ergonomically and I liked it being brushless on the drill and impct.

Now the Nakita kit is all brushed but I figured we got this far in life with brushed tools so why stress the little stuff!! The circ saw and jigsaw both have LEDs so all work will be well illuminated. :D

I do feel I have to challenge your view on the drills being ordinary though. The Dewalt on the previous kit and this Makita fit my needs. Enough torque for most things I will do and both come with metal gears, leds and decent chucks (although the Makita is rubber). I don't need or more important want a big heavy drill. What use is a big drill that could be used to mix plaster or drill 4 inch core holes in concrete if all I need to do is drill 25 MM holes in joists, 5.5mm holes in brick or 65mm holes on plaster board? I have an 8lbs sledge that can smash the granny out of a brick wall but it's useless if I'm assembling furniture or tapping chisels when cleaning out dovetails.....

in terms of buying all the bits separately - really depends on how you do it as I've often seen savings eroded by delivery charges of I'm buying from 4 or 5 different retailers.

I'll feed back on the Makita kit for anyone that's interested.

Obviously it's your choice,but I think you made the right decision exchanging it for the makita kit.
When I jumped ship from dewalt I only had a few of there tools. It was a tough decision but I'm glad I did.
18076518bb0cef654a2ecfe71610d610.jpg

70 minutes does seem alot compared with makitas charging time. I've got 10 + makita batteries and it's surprising how often I'm waiting to recharge a battery, when im out on site.

Coley

Petey83":2lyi9rco said:
I do feel I have to challenge your view on the drills being ordinary though. The Dewalt on the previous kit and this Makita fit my needs. Enough torque for most things I will do and both come with metal gears, leds and decent chucks (although the Makita is rubber). I don't need or more important want a big heavy drill. What use is a big drill that could be used to mix plaster or drill 4 inch core holes in concrete if all I need to do is drill 25 MM holes in joists, 5.5mm holes in brick or 65mm holes on plaster board? I have an 8lbs sledge that can smash the granny out of a brick wall but it's useless if I'm assembling furniture or tapping chisels when cleaning out dovetails.....

Fair enough if you are not planning on working on masonry built constructions where more substantial channelling and drilling would be required. My kitchen wiring took at least (counting roughly) 12 x 25mm x 230mm holes through brick walls. I have good quality battery SDS now (didn't then) but it wouldn't get out of the box for that.

On the other hand my original lime plaster where it survives falls off the walls with the least persuasion so channeling could be done with an Ixo or something.

This is my point - heavy chasing, cure drilling for an extractor or similar is likely going to be a job for the corded Bosch.

MikeJhn":1ktwwpus said:
Do Bosch make a core drill with a clutch?

Mike

No idea but the ads I have has happily done 4 inch cores - or atleast 2 4 inch cores to date.

Makita do a cordless coffee machine aswell. I think that's them showing off now :lol: Be handy on big sites I spose, so longs you've got the relevant health and safety forms filled out.

Coley

Back