Where to buy wood near Cheddar ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaktree11

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I sort of hijacked a thread in the scrollsaw forum to ask this but I am sure this is where it should be.
Where do you buy your wood generally, for example birch ply, oak, good quality and veneered MDF and even softwood?
I live in Cheddar and am struggling to find a good timber merchant that can help.
Any suggestions welcome, I am sure that they are around, I just haven't found them yet!

Thanks

John

Stop it I know for a fact Cheddar is a cheese. Ain't possible it's a real place.

*clutches hat to chest fearfully*

Mind you....
I 'ave heard tell of the fearful and fat giant 'Cheddar Gorge' but we don't mention his name roundabouts. :shock:

Yandles? I live in Hertfordshire and even by guess work it's no more than an hour from Cheddar? Never been there but personally but I've seen the name crop up here enough to know they are respectable.
Don't mean to sound rude btw. All in good faith.

Yandles has an ENORMOUS variety of exotic hardwoods, and not even a very rich person could buy the contents of one of their shedsfull. On the rare occasions I make the 5 ,000 mile round trip to somerset for family visits, I NEVER pass up a chance to go see those woodsheds.

But there must be a nearer supplier of something as simple as ply and softwood.

Thanks for all the replies. Yandles is great as you say for exotics and special woods but i see several makers on youtube using fancy veneered MDF. I never seem to see it. even getting good quality birch ply is tough.

Could try Timbmet for the fancy MDF.... I'm sure that's where I bought some a while ago, was good stuff

Oaktree11":2gttc51y said:
Thanks for all the replies. Yandles is great as you say for exotics and special woods but i see several makers on youtube using fancy veneered MDF. I never seem to see it. even getting good quality birch ply is tough.
Hardwood veneered MDF and quality birch ply are not the kind of things you will typically see in your local B&Q, Yates, Jewsons etc.

If you look in the right places it is there. Hanson Plywood, SL Hardwoods, DHH, Yandles etc. I ordered a fair amount of oak veneer ply recently and I had it turn up within 48 hours.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

John

Have you looked at the Robbins and Avon Plywood websites? Both offer a wide range of veneered MDF and veneered ply and Avon Plywood also offer a range of birch ply; Robbins may do so as well. I've had both birch ply and veneered MDF from Avon Plywood and was very [pleased with their service.

Oaktree11":1m762q0v said:

I bought some oak faced ply from yandles recently. Can’t quite remember the full range they had as I did bloke shopping, wanted 12mm oak ply, walked in, got it off shelf & left. But I was aware there were other thicknesses and materials available together with more solid wood domestic and exotic than you can shake a stick at as has been said.

The wood pile in highbridge is only about 10 miles away I guess, I haven't been there for a few years but seem to remember they have quite a good selection, taunton timber a bit further a field but a very good selection of all sorts with a huge pile of different hardwoods in small offcuts for a quid each.

Someone made a large chart with loads of timber suppliers on last year I will try and dig it out.

Adidat

Closer to home, there is/was a sawmill on the Mark-Blackford road, just outside Mark, but I'm not sure either if it's still there, or what it saws!.

The Levels aren't renown for timber, exactly...

I'd certainly recommend Avon Ply.

Robbins will definitely have what you want in hardwoods (or will get it in), but you might find their prices a bit eye-watering, as their main business is the marine trade (luxury yachts, etc.), where cost usually isn't an issue.

For a limited selection of hardwoods and deal (they mainly service joinery firms), you might also try Scaddings: http://www.scadding-son-ltd.co.uk/. Trad. family firm...

Back