Where do you find your work?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a full time cabinet maker but I'm dipping my toe in the self employed furniture maker pool. I've had small success from etsy but not enough. How do other people find there work?
I have a garage and slowly but surely trying to kit it out. I'm lucky to have a friend that lets me use his workshop but hopefully soon i will be self-reliant.
What is everyone elses situation? If you are set up how did you get there?
Thanks guys

It probably depends on the type of work you are hoping to do.

As mentioned on here many times it is very hard to get a decent paying career from making free standing furniture, but there is a good market for built in domestic furniture and high class shopfitting, ie hospitality, retail, reception desk and boardroom fit outs

Im in joinery mostly so get all my work from a website with traffic directed from targeted keywords

RobinBHM":3o424p8p said:
It probably depends on the type of work you are hoping to do.

As mentioned on here many times it is very hard to get a decent paying career from making free standing furniture, but there is a good market for built in domestic furniture and high class shopfitting, ie hospitality, retail, reception desk and boardroom fit outs

Im in joinery mostly so get all my work from a website with traffic directed from targeted keywords

Just out of interest what type of stuff you are selling on your website?
Knick-nacks , small size stuff like chairs/shelves or expensive custom stuff such as custom tables?

I started out as a general joinery business but the website focuses entirely on timber orangeries -a single product makes it easier to build keywords into website landing pages and is a product currently popular, but still has a good amount of joinery and some level of creativity.

http://www.bhmjoinery.co.uk

Thanks for all the feedback. This is my website www.matthiasmacdesigns.com i guess its high end stuff. I tend to get people asking about my boxes but i have had a commission for the floating shelf. I need something a bit more consistent. I don't really want to get into joinery as I'm not to confident in it. Much happier with MDF carcusess if i have to.
Cheers guys

I'm essentially an amateur making things "on commission" for friends and family but by unusual circumstances I was approached by a local gallery to see if I would be make some items for them either on sale or return or by commission.
I've linked to the boxes section but you can see the rest of the wood furniture etc they sell : -http://www.artifex.co.uk/product-category/woodwork/jewellery-box/
The reason I mention this is that if you can get some of your items on display, it will give you more exposure and as well as perhaps getting work via the gallery, often people will try and contact you directly (to avoid the gallery's commission). Whether this is a local private gallery, a high end furniture outlet (one that doesn't sell boxes obviously) or anywhere else just might help.
Just as a note, your boxes seem very competitively priced (although I think the gallery ones are expensive).
In talking to the manager, his view was that boxes are a difficult area in which to make a profit. To a large extent there can be as much work that goes into a quality box as say a small coffee table but people are unlikely to spend more than say £200 - £300 on a box whereas they might easily spend more on a small piece of furniture. Obviously there is more wood in a piece of furniture but if the labour is the same then there is more scope for profit?
Just one gallery managers view but both the gallery and he have been around for a while so it might be worth a thought.

Some nice stuff you got there guys,
however you need to have a serious skill to get someone to buy something at those prices...

MrDavidRoberts":31g5h425 said:
Some nice stuff you got there guys,
however you need to have a serious skill to get someone to buy something at those prices...

Hello,

They are reallistically priced, though. The OP hasn't fallen into the trap of underpricing his stuff early on into the venture. which would be fatal. I hope he does well, but fear he might fall into the same problems that all freestanding furniture makers do. There are a few who post here and I myself was a maker for quite sometime; no one has ever really come up with a successful method of really selling this kind of thing. put stuff in galleries and specilist shops and the mark up makes the pries ludacrously expensive. doing trade shows and the like is often time consuming, expensive and takes you out of the workshop so halts productivity. They are a lottery; sometimes gaining clients, usually not. Promoting your self is a job in itself and can take up all of your time. If you have premesis that doesn't cost a lot, you have a fighting chance, but paying rent etc. on workshop space when you are rarely there chasing leads and seein clients that often end in no commission, it gets expensive. And dont underestimate how much space you need for a workshop; working out of a garage will soon become inadequate. where will you keep your timber dry enough to make furniture out of, that will go into centrally heated houses? That is a huge chunk of space for a start, but if not done properly, will lead to product failure and worse, ruin your reputation. Most makers spend most of their time doing something else, such as tutoring or making built ins. Big space required for these ventures too. These usually become the main aspect of the buisiness after a while, the freestanding stuff you love doing often gets so sidelined, you might make a couple of small bits a year and wonder why you spend most of your time doing things you don't want to. Big built ins are a killer for a one man band, too. I did lots for years, and getting the stuff up 3 flights of steps in Georgian houses was never going to be a long term proposition for me alone. Making tat sort of stuff is fine, but you'll need to employ people and take out a second mortgage for the Altendorf's and Martin's..........

If you are employed, I would seriously stay employed, and make whatever stuff takes your fancy in your spare time. You will likely make just as many pieces of fine freestanding stuff this way, as you would if you tried it as a venture. You will likely sell the odd piece on the side, too. Otherwise, expect to be doing mostly what you are being paid to do anyway, but you'll have to fund it yourself and take all the risks and struggle through lean times withiout much of an income. Or else just go straight into the bilt in side of the buisiness from the off, if there is a market for it where you are. You can make a good living that way. The other, I'm afraid is extremely difficult (not impossible) to do. Mr.T, Custard, Jimmy Rivers, Siahn Dubh are designer/makers who post here will say much the same, I'm sure, and likely chip in at some point on the subject.

Nice work you do, By the way.

Mike.

Hum,all I can think of adding is, regarding exposure, to get as much web traffic as possible landing on your site.
Think of as many ways as possible of describing your site, so you come up on all the search engine lists.
I don't think Gumtree would be too suitable though :)

I work for high end clients, they follow trends and styles very closely, none or very few of the designs would fit into a house where a high end designer has been involved. Today's trends are very dark woods, leather, polished chrome and mirrors, all very blingy. If you want to hit the biggest target market possible I would suggest you try and follow these trends more.

Trends depend on where you are in the country as well.

We are still making a lot of light coloured timber or painted stuff, but Bob is right in saying that the darker timbers are starting to make a return.

I have bought more dark timbers in the last couple of months than I have in years.

We tend to be between 6 months to a year behind the south.

doctor Bob":oy85ts1q said:
I work for high end clients, they follow trends and styles very closely, none or very few of the designs would fit into a house where a high end designer has been involved. Today's trends are very dark woods, leather, polished chrome and mirrors, all very blingy. If you want to hit the biggest target market possible I would suggest you try and follow these trends more.

Some high-end designers might suscribe to those trends, but I doubt eg Robert Kime will be filling his client's houses full of polished chrome and leather.
It's a possible foot in the door, though - contact some interiors professionals, they're usually on the look out for one-off pieces/commissions.

If you are doing this to make money, make what the customer wants, light, dark, painted bright green with pink spots, it does not really matter as long as you get paid at the end and the customer is happy

Thank you all for the feedback. its very interesting to hear how everyone else has tried to solve the problem. I wish you all good luck with your advertising. I will continue with my etsy and website. im going to get some cards made up and try to hit some gallery s etc. Im definitely not giving up, ive wanted this since i was 14 im the closest ive ever been. Im now 24 with a baby and a wife, my family and responsibilities will only ever grow. If i dont try that for me is worse than failing.
cheers guys

Back