Teaching makes you realise how much you have to learn.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shed dweller

Reaction score
Hi. I joined because I was trying to find the answer to a problem. Something that proves the point that we never stop learning or at least needing to learn.
I started over 30 years ago as a hobbyist trying to furnish my home with furniture I could never afford to buy. After 8 years I went to the old London School of Furniture in East London before starting to work professionally.
In the time I've been working I've seen standards of work change but I can't say for the better.
The influx of makers from abroad has made work far more competitive. If the other guy can produce something cheaper and as acceptable to the client then you have to match his prices and methods.
Traditional cabinet making is now almost completely replaced by dressed up boxes made of sheet material. Why would you make something like a kitchen any other way but a freestanding piece of fine furniture should be something else.
I now earn my money teaching in a small unaccredited school in London. I always wanted to go back to college to learn more so now I'm being paid to do it. It's the only way I can see myself cutting joints by hand at work and not losing money.
The one thing that is very obvious to me now is that someone else always knows more than me. So hopefully I can learn something useful here. And without the constraints of client budgets I can get back to fussy furniture making.

Back