Where can I get parts for a kids trike/ bike?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm endeavouring to make a few kids toys to stick on my soon-to-be-ready website. I'll mainly be offering a few ranges of handmade furniture and bespoke pieces. And kids toys, to a certain extent. I've just finished the templates for 2 x ride-on aeroplanes and a balance-bike. But now I would like to make a 'big-wheel' tricycle. But have no-idea where I could get parts for it. All I really need is the pedal assembly, or the pedal & wheel assembly. This is the trike I'm on about:

radio-flyer-big-flyer.jpg

Any help with a shove in the right direction would be much appreciated. I'm not after massive quantities, just yet, so can't really go straight to the supplier. It would have to be an off the shelf item, or a spare part etc.

Cheers _Dan.

If you were doing it professionally then you would want tandem cranks so that the threads go in the correct direction and the pedals don't unwind and fall off.

However at this time I guess you would be able to get away with 2 bike left hand cranks and a bottom bracket.

Examples from Halfords can be found here: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1

HTH

for that kind of thing you would need unicycle style cranks, where the crank arms are fitted to the wheel's axles.
god knows where you would find them.
try pashleys or st john street cycles.
or of course fleabay.

chunko'.

Ok, I think I've found what I need then:

£5.75 @ Firetoys.com for 102mm ones

£6.50 @ Firetoys.com for some 140mm ones

£6.80 @ Adventure Northumberland for some 120mm ones

Not sure if I'll need these crank bolts or not though, I can't picture how it assembles in my head :)

I'll ask them @ Unicycle.com.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I'll do a quick W.I.P when I get round to the job.

Cheers _Dan.

goldeneyedmonkey":3avamas6 said:
Ok, I think I've found what I need then:

Not sure if I'll need these crank bolts or not though, I can't picture how it assembles in my head :)

Cheers _Dan.

You will need a bottom bracket to go between the two cranks. It is this that goes through the wheels.

No it will be a different set up all together.
A traditional bottom bracket allows the axle to rotate with the pedals.
for this setup you need the axle fixed in the wheel with the cranks coming off it, the bearing goes between the axle and the frame.
Confused?

I was thinking that I might be able to just send some square stock right through the crank-wheel-crank and glue it at either end, but this would mean making a square hole in the centre of a polypropylene or similar wheel. I didn't really want to use a spoked wheel for the risk of kids fingers getting caught in it. If I've got this right then I'm literally attaching the cranks in a static manner onto the wheel, so that whenever you pedal round once the wheel goes round once. I think this is the way they're setup on the commercially made ones.

I'll have a think. Much appreciated for all your input. _Dan

Back