Finishing a plywood pedal car

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope no one minds me posting this here - I guess it should go in the Finishing section, but this General section seems to be much more active . Mods I hope I'm not upsetting the applecart.

Ladies & Gents,

Some time back I posted a “daft” query here about using what I called a Radial Arm saw (and which I was soon corrected to call more properly a Sliding Mitre Saw) to cut metals. Based on some of the info supplied, plus a trawl around this site, I subsequently found Atkinson Walker and Summit Saw Blades, both of which have supplied me with exactly the type of blades I needed – AND with excellent service also (usual disclaimers).

BTW, used with the correct blade, and used “sensibly”, AND used in accordance with the user tips that a couple of knowledgeable members here provided (and which BTW, were NOT mentioned at all in the so-called “Handbook” that came with the saw), I can now cut various metals (inc. mild steel up to about 10 mm thick quite efficiently and safely - but as warned by several here, it IS bloody noisy when doing so). And how long the bearings will last I don’t know, but that’s another story.

Now “on to the next daft project”. My wife and I are working together on building a pedal car for the grandson - this coming Christmas it WILL be finished (so SWMBIO informs me).

I’ve found a US website who have sold me the plans and it’s a nice project ‘cos it’s a mixture of wood & metal work (even some small bits n pieces on the little centre lathe – right up my street).

AGAIN, I can't see how to attach a couple of (small) pix, sorry.

Attached (I hope) are a couple of pictures of a finished car from the above web site (not my car, I’m still at the cutting out stage). As you can see, it’s called “MG TC”, and though it’s definitely not a scale model, the idea is to capture the “spirit” and “character” of the original – what is called “stand-off scale” in the aeromodelling world.

I now have a number of Q’s about finishing and would be grateful for your inputs.

But first I guess you’ll need some more details – the main chassis and front axle members are cut from 21 mm ply, grade BB/BB, wood “Birche” (which translates as Birch).

The 2 main bodywork sides are cut from 12 mm ply, grade BB/BB, and again, Birch.

The above are the items which give me most concern re finishing, especially the fact that on the 2 sides, (the “doors”) the ply end grain will be exposed (unless we cover those areas in leather or something).

The rest of the car is I think, less of a finishing problem and consists of various thicknesses of ply, grade II/III, wood “Fichte” (which in my dictionary translates as either Spruce, or Pine, or Deal - it seems to depend on what it’s used for). I’ve chosen this because it has one good side (virtually no knots showing – and I AM being careful when cutting out as to which side is inside and outside in each part); and also because it’s flexible enough to do the (generally slight) bends/curves required by the body shape.

Construction will be using zinc plated countersunk screws and water-resistant PVA (white wood workers glue – UNLESS someone shouts NO to that idea).

Although I want a “good, shiny high-gloss” finish (it’s a car after all!) it’s also obviously not going to be a museum piece but a USABLE kids toy, no doubt subject to all sorts of knocks and bangs and out in the garden in all weathers.

For the final top coats finish I have almost decided to spray a 2 part polyurethane paint from Sikkens – it’s a nice fiery “Swissair” red, as used to paint real aeroplanes (do NOT ask where it came from please), so has very good sunlight n ultra-violet resistance, and it’s very tough and knock-resistant too (on aluminium and carbon fibre & Kevlar composites it is anyway). The only down side seems to be making mixes of the correct quantity (after you’ve added the hardener it goes off pretty quickly) but I’ve already found that if the mix is stored in the fridge for a while then the hardening time is at least doubled – from about 45 to 90+ minutes). I am not (yet) an expert sprayer, especially of panels as large as these will be, but I do have a decent compressor and gun which is within the compressor spec. Alternatively – subject to inputs from all you experts, I COULD roller or brush paint instead.

Oh yes, I’ll be spraying (with a mask) outside in my car port on a fine day, and with most of the open sides of the car port covered with hanging plastic sheets.

Now my real Qs and concerns:

1. Will it be OK to use “normal” pre-mixed Pollyfilla in a tube type stuff as filler on the screw heads etc? If not what please?

2. What’s the basic preparation of the whole car please – wet n dry, ali-oxide, w.h.y? And what grades please? (Please note I have only 2 x electric orbital sanders, 1 half sheet size, the other smaller – plus hand-powered wooden n cork sanding blocks of course)!

3. Do I need sanding sealer, and if so what sort and how to apply please? (Please note in aircraft use we use what’s called “wash-primer”, also from Sikkens, but that etches into the aluminium skins microscopically. No idea what it would do on ply).

4. What about a primer? Again if yes, what sort please, and how to apply.

5. Ditto Q 4 re undercoat please?

Alternatively to answering all the above, is there a website or a book anyone can point me at please – or alternatively, shall I just swallow my pride and get a professional paint shop to do it for me – I do have contacts in the aircraft, car body shop, and wood work areas.

Thanks to all in advance – and once again, thanks for a truly excellent forum – I’ve already learnt a lot from many “silent trawls”.

AES

Birch ply is about the best quality you can get when it comes to lack of voids, fine plys and good external surfaces BUT it is not waterproof and will de-laminate when it gets wet.
Maybe in the US such toys are not left out in the wet - who knows.

If you are going to use birch ply then you need a totally waterproof glue - not difficult but also every little bit needs to be covered in several coats of paint. The two part Sikkens sounds good but needs careful thorough coating if your hard work is not to fall apart.

Maybe consider other types of ply that are WBP (weather & boil proof), These still need careful painting but at least the glue holding the plies together is waterproof.

Good Luck

Bob

You keep refering to model aeroplanes

I prefer heli's LOL

Simple really
Fill all screwholes and bits like that with a wood filler or even pollyfiller if thats what you prefer
Sand it all smooth
Get some epoxy resin and fibreglass cloth (not Mat) and skin the car as if you were going to cover a wing
When dry Sand it and prep it then paint it
Tough and waterproof

Roger

Roger's idea of a fibreglass skin sounds good but if you don't want to do that I would at least use something tougher than pollyfiller for covering the screws. How about car body filler? I use it all the time and I know others on here do so too.

regards

Brian

Thanks for all the replies Gents,

1. I forgot to mention that all the ply to be used (already bought and mostly cut out) IS what they call here "feuchtigkeitsbestandig" which translates (literally) as damp proof. I DO hope this will be OK. Any comments please?

2. OK, I will NOT use "water-resistant" PVA glue. But what instead please? We do have various "foaming" polyurethane type glues here (single pack, not 2 pack), including one I know to be VERY strong 'cos I've used it before in various DIY jobs about the house. This particular one is called "Montage Kraftkleber" (literally Installation Strong Glue) and branded "Pattex" n made by a well-kown German chemicals firm Henkel. Is that the sort of thing I should be using please?

3. Noted re car body filler instead of Pollyfilla. I've got some of that n will use it. Thanks.

4. Re glassing the whole thing, I did consider that but thought that idea was a bit OTT - especially as the biggest body panels are just over 50 inches long - I was worried about "waviness" that I'd then have to sand off. Thanks though.

5. Would really appreciate some inputs re grain filler/sealer (type n application), primer (type n application - if necessary) and undercoat (type n application - if necessary). Thanks in advance.

ALSO

Can someone please advise re a "smooth as a babies bum" finish for the dummy radiator grille (also primarily ply)? I plan to use a very thin self adhesive vinyl material to simulate the chrome which (they say) can be teased into compound curves (we'll see!), but to ensure adhesion the finish needs to be VERY smooth (I'm already resigned tio lots of hand sanding here, but what filler, undercoast, etc would you recommend please)?

NUSUB

Can someone please advise re posting a pic here - I HOPE that when it's finished it will be worth a piccie or 2 on the Projects section. Being a bit of a Luddite I would really apprciate set-by-step instructions for doing that.

Once again, thanks to all.

AES

Hi AES,

I think the foaming type PU glue that you mention will be more than strong enough for any outdoor project. Some of the stuff I've used in the past claims to be okay when submerged in sea water!

You make several references to what is available where you live, as a matter of interest would you mind telling us where that is please?

As far as posting pictures is concerned - that's even easier now than it used to be since the forum started hosting the pics. Below where you enter your comments there is button to browse for the file on your local computer. Click the 'Browse' button and then when the file name shows up in the box alongside, click the 'Add The File' button.

You will then see your file name(s) listed below where you type your message and if you wish to place it inline with your comments, simply click the 'Place inline' button. It should look something like this:
uploadingpics.jpg

However, please, please do not post huge picture as sometimes happens as this requires many members to have to scroll sideways which is awkward and quite frustrating. I usually try to aim for 500 or 600 pixels across and this seems to be sufficient.

Hope the above helps in some small way.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• uploadingpics.jpg
    uploadingpics.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 138
Brian,

I really must apologise, I thought I'd put something in my profile, but perhaps I'm thinking of another Forum, I'll check later.

As you may have guessed from my complete lack of accent (!) I'm an expat Brit. I left UK permanently in the 1908's and have lived in Switzerland since 1990 (my wife is Swiss). "Here" is a small farming village called Lupsingen which is about 20 mins drive from Basel, in NW Switz. About 5 mins NW from Basel centre is the border with France n about the same distance NE is the border with Germany.

BTW this is in the (majority) German-speaking part of Switz, so Basel is pronounced "Barzel" and NOT "Barl" which is the way the Frogs pronounce it - but at least they have the excuse of spelling it wrong too - "Basle").

More than you wanted to know I'm sure!

Thanks for the info on posting pix. I'll try now with the 3 I originally wanted to post at the start of this thread (I'm pretty sure they're not too big).

Cheers
AES

Attachments

• 3614674627_6b7d001f7d_o.jpg
    3614674627_6b7d001f7d_o.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 91
  • TC Modell Vertig.jpg
    TC Modell Vertig.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 91
  • TC Modell Vertig 2.jpg
    TC Modell Vertig 2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 91
AES":1s90g533 said:
Brian,

I really must apologise, I thought I'd put something in my profile, but perhaps I'm thinking of another Forum, I'll check later.

As you may have guessed from my complete lack of accent (!) I'm an expat Brit. I left UK permanently in the 1908's and have lived in Switzerland since 1990 (my wife is Swiss). "Here" is a small farming village called Lupsingen which is about 20 mins drive from Basel, in NW Switz. About 5 mins NW from Basel centre is the border with France n about the same distance NE is the border with Germany.

BTW this is in the (majority) German-speaking part of Switz, so Basel is pronounced "Barzel" and NOT "Barl" which is the way the Frogs pronounce it - but at least they have the excuse of spelling it wrong too - "Basle").

More than you wanted to know I'm sure!

Thanks for the info on posting pix. I'll try now with the 3 I originally wanted to post at the start of this thread (I'm pretty sure they're not too big).

Cheers
AES

Thanks for the pictures the project looks like you will get a lot of enjoyment out of making it let alone the grandchildren when they play on it.
Thanks Tim

I just saw a couple of wooden push bikes where you do not have pedals on but you just push it with your feet.
One even had wooden wheels with a rubber strip on the tyre for grip the other had regular cycle wheels on but it through me for a second, sadly i did not get any pictures but maybe i can get one if they are in the same park again.
I was told that each one cost £100 to buy each one to there is money in them wooden bikes.
Thanks Tim

tinytim1458":y05rzmgi said:
I just saw a couple of wooden push bikes where you do not have pedals on but you just push it with your feet.
One even had wooden wheels with a rubber strip on the tyre for grip the other had regular cycle wheels on but it through me for a second, sadly i did not get any pictures but maybe i can get one if they are in the same park again.
I was told that each one cost £100 to buy each one to there is money in them wooden bikes.
Thanks Tim

Yes Tim, I've seen them in the shops here in Switz too. Pretty expensive they are - not sure what wood they're made of (never looked all that closely) but they do have adjustments for frame size. Easier to make (and cheaper!) than my car - that's definitely a one off as far as cost is concerned (materials not cheap, and even "charging" our time at "cost levels" this is going to be one expensive little job - fun though).

ANYONE else like to chip in with any finishing comments, especially re my original Q's on grain filler, primer, & undercoat?

Krgds
AES

Back