When you get older...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucio

Established Member
Reaction score
When you get older...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of things change as you get older.
Physical things, like hair and teeth falling out, thicker glasses, bones becoming as brittle and fragile as pasta tubes, skin getting so thin that you bruise if it's a windy day.
Mentally, you change too-but I'm not talking about Alzheimer's, or dementia or senility.
Patience.
Sometimes you find you're more patient than before, like in a supermarket checkout, and the woman in front has just bought a 29p bottle of lemonade, and is paying by credit card.
Sometimes you're less patient, like in the same situation, but the woman has just bought £100 worth of groceries, stacked up in her trolley, and seems surprised that she actually has to pay for this. So she starts looking for her purse, which is in her handbag, which is under all the groceries....
The same thing applies when you're making something.
You start off with a liitle bit of excitment, looking forward to making something.
The longer it goes on, the less the excitment, the more of it's a chore that has to be got through.
If it starts going wrong, or getting difficult, hate begins to creep in.
Then it's a case of "I'll finish this b****y thing, if it's the last thing I ever do."
Knowing inside you, that if you keep going with this attitude, it probably will be. (Remember the physical changes include your heart...)
Or am I unique and alone in thinking this way?
Bruce

I think out of control nasal / eyebrow hair is the real first sign of ageing

I find that the pains in my wrists and fingers restrict the pleasure from my point of view.

That and not being able to see what I am doing as well as I used to!

:( Spot on Bruce. The other thing that really drives me nuts is other peoples cats (here we go). I've always objected to having to clear up their mess from my garden, but as the bones have seized up and I find it an even bigger problem.
So if I have dog and am required to keep it under control, why should not cat owners have to comply with the same criteria?
The other sign of growing old is when things that once brought pleasure, now only cause you pain !!

newt":1xr0uz8m said:
I think out of control nasal / eyebrow hair is the real first sign of ageing

My daughter even bought me a pair of tweezers and a small pair of scissors :shock: :shock:

Just don't start wearing beige....... :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Whatever you do don't ever EVER use an electric nasal hair remover.

I got one free with a beard trimmer and tried it out. It works fine. But you get stubble up your nose. Blowing your nose is hell for about 3 weeks.

Naaaasty.

Smudger":1zuqcjp8 said:

I've heard that they sometimes jam and you are left with the contraption hanging from your nose :shock: :shock: :shock:

Scary............

Paul wrote
I've heard that they sometimes jam and you are left with the contraption hanging from your nose

Didn't the old fashioned barbers used to set fire to them using a lighted taper? Another use for one of those mini blowlamp things? :lol:

Paul Chapman":2q94x1ev said:
Smudger":2q94x1ev said:

I've heard that they sometimes jam and you are left with the contraption hanging from your nose :shock: :shock: :shock:

Scary............
Er been there done that must have the tee shirt, but no idea where............ :roll:

Smudger":2qk2ebb2 said:

I got one free with a beard trimmer and tried it out. It works fine. But you get stubble up your nose. Blowing your nose is hell for about 3 weeks.

Naaaasty.
I find it easier to just pull them out, makes your eyes water though :shock:

Bruce - Yes, on the patience thing.

The supermarket example is a good one, another good one is the airport check in.

I find I'm more patient now when the check in person is having probs with the computer, or the weigh machine, or some other mechanical doobry. (I guess we've all been there :!: )

But I'm far less patient when I find myself behind some d**k head who has 20 Kgs. too much luggage and seems surprised he has to pay, and doesn't have any money / credit cards on him, and then tries to hand carry the excess on board in a suitcase way over the hand baggage allowance :roll:

I must confess, I'm very quick to lose my patience, I suffer fools badly, I try my best, perhaps it's the pace of life, despite my mum telling me,
boy, if you lose your temper, lose it for good.
regards,
Rich.

Oooh.

One thing I have noticed as I get older is that spicy foods, especially curries, give me 'tummy troubles'. Which is annoying, since one of the BEST things about getting older is when my boys and their wives come round for a curry evening once a month, and once every 18 months the one from the USA turns up.

Losos":16pj2kox said:
Bruce - Yes, on the patience thing.

The supermarket example is a good one, another good one is the airport check in.

I find I'm more patient now when the check in person is having probs with the computer, or the weigh machine, or some other mechanical doobry. (I guess we've all been there :!: )

But I'm far less patient when I find myself behind some d**k head who has 20 Kgs. too much luggage and seems surprised he has to pay, and doesn't have any money / credit cards on him, and then tries to hand carry the excess on board in a suitcase way over the hand baggage allowance :roll:

Spot on, Losos!

I also have patience with the little old lady driving at 30mph down the bendy country A road but I have zero patience with the d**k head sitting on her tail and making no attempt to overtake but making it impossible for anyone else to overtake both of them.

What has got to me as I've aged is elderly ladies with supermarket trolleys. Are they actually alive or does shopping induce a trance state with them. Why, when they've found the object of their desire do they turn the bloody trolley sideways, thus making sure that the gangway is now blocked. And why do they stand their waiting as the cost is tallied before digging into their portmanteau for the money?
I feel better now! :lol:

Roy.

Latest posts

Back