Wheelie bin dust collector.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I been having problems with the structural integrity of one of my collection bins.

Today I came into possession of a new green wheelie bin with the intention of using it as a super collector.

I'm quite disappointed to see how flimsy it is and now I'm wondering if it's up to the job.

Has anyone done this, was it a success and how did you seal around the lid?

Attachments

• IMG_20230914_125504_622.jpg
    IMG_20230914_125504_622.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230914_130355_305.jpg
    IMG_20230914_130355_305.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230914_125041_248.jpg
    IMG_20230914_125041_248.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Be careful the corners top to bottom are weak, the guy across the road had one split in a dead straight line don't know if there was a join in it, don't know even what he was doing.

Spectric

Moderator​

Staff member

UKW Supporter
This machine is a wheelie bin hoover but maybe for those into extremist extraction then it could be the basis for a new dust extract system !

dustarrest.com

Wheelie Bin M Filtered Vacuum 120ltr Wet & Dry MAXVAC Dura DV120-MBN

The MAXVAC Dura DV120-MBN has been designed with large clean up operations in mind as well as the practicality of having a vacuum that is easy to empty into waste processing plants where used. With a 1200w motor the bin has a powerful suction and uses a 50mm hose. Excellent for cleaning up...
dustarrest.com
dustarrest.com

L

Be careful the corners top to bottom are weak, the guy across the road had one split in a dead straight line don't know if there was a join in it, don't know even what he was doing.
Both front corners of my black rubbish bin are cracked top to bottom, but it's around 20 yo.

Add a vacuum relief valve and you should be fine. I feel that it is shock loads at low temperatures that is most likely to cause cracks
I think that's definitely worth doing

This machine is a wheelie bin hoover but maybe for those into extremist extraction then it could be the basis for a new dust extract system !
Looks like a winner but a bit inflated pricewise. I hope to come in under £100

So here's the prototype.
I used a piece of 12mm Malaysian ply so that I don't botch up the lid, till I have a correct design.

It is sucking quite well even though there is no seal between the ply and the bin or the ply and the dust deputy, or the DD and the vacuum.
I reckon if they were sealed up and a pressure relief valve fitted, maybe a porthole to view contents,
I'd have a winner.

Attachments

• IMG_20230915_125353_670.jpg
    IMG_20230915_125353_670.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Not a wheelie bin, but I added a plywood ring support to sit halfway up my drum extractor to try to reduce the likelihood of it imploding or splitting. I expect you could maybe just use two pieces of wood affixed as a cross to achieve similar for the square wheelie bin.

As has been mentioned a pressure relief valve is a must, the one I have which is from dust commander is in my opinion insufficient for its purpose. I could really do with one which stays closed under more pressure, but opens a larger relief orifice when activated. The trouble with the dust commander one is that as you wind up the spring to increase the opening threshold pressure, you reduce the size of the orifice which opens when the valve is activated.

Just a thought - when my 50L dust extractor is full (probably with about 30-40L) before the filter starts to clog it is a bit of a pain to lift and empty.

A garden wheelie bin may hold 150-200L - I would find this unacceptably heavy when full (perhaps I'm a wimp!).

It could be worthwhile finding a way to pivot the bin about half way up. This may involve losing the existing wheels, replacing with a four wheel platform and a simply lock to hold it vertical when in use.

Just a thought - when my 50L dust extractor is full (probably with about 30-40L) before the filter starts to clog it is a bit of a pain to lift and empty.

A garden wheelie bin may hold 150-200L - I would find this unacceptably heavy when full (perhaps I'm a wimp!).

It could be worthwhile finding a way to pivot the bin about half way up. This may involve losing the existing wheels, replacing with a four wheel platform and a simply lock to hold it vertical when in use.
Great point, our extractor at work takes 240l wheelie bin bags and when full it’s quite heavy. The weight isn’t really the problem, it’s removal from the bin as the full bag’s packed tight against the inner walls.

Last edited:
Great point, our extractor at work takes 240l wheelie bin bags and when full it’s quite heavy. The weight isn’t really the problem though, it’s removing it from the bin as the full bag’s packed tight against the inner walls.
Depends on the design but you could try putting a piece of 2inch pipe in between the liner and the bin when empty, needs to go all the way to the bottom. When full pull the pipe out and your bag should now be loose enough to come out.

Depends on the design but you could try putting a piece of 2inch pipe in between the liner and the bin when empty, needs to go all the way to the bottom. When full pull the pipe out and your bag should now be loose enough to come out.
You’d need something to support the pipe in the middle whilst empty though.

Drill some holes in the bottom to break the vacuum.... much smaller than a mouse though!

Back