What's your favourite thing about turning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourite when I was turning bowls 20years ago and the piece looked like a bowl and not a chamber pot with out a handle. Now days I strive to make more arty farty stuff and am chuffed when I achieve 90% of what I had skethed. I to have a stainless steel and plastic leg and aim to turn a new one out of wood and change my name to PEG LEG ha ha The weird part is I am due for a new on shortly so we will see, Tambotie, Red ivory, African, black wood or Kiaat. HA HA HA

for me it's the sheer natural beauty and infinite variety of wood. The moment you introduce a smooth curve into a section of grain it enhances its appearance in completely unpredictable and usually aesthetically delightful ways. I find turned wood enormously appealing, magnetic almost. The colour, texture and shape variety all conspire to deliver an art form that floats my boat in ways I never seem to tire of. Even the act of turning I generally find therapeutic. A sharp gouge peeling through a bowl interior has a joy all of its own.

Random Orbital Bob":nz4a7exz said:
for me it's the sheer natural beauty and infinite variety of wood. The moment you introduce a smooth curve into a section of grain it enhances its appearance in completely unpredictable and usually aesthetically delightful ways. I find turned wood enormously appealing, magnetic almost. The colour, texture and shape variety all conspire to deliver an art form that floats my boat in ways I never seem to tire of. Even the act of turning I generally find therapeutic. A sharp gouge peeling through a bowl interior has a joy all of its own.
I usually wax my woodturnings but this this is waxing lyrical.

Bill

My best about turning its not having a catch and have what ever I make turn out something like I meant it to not achieved yet on both counts but I am trying.
The wife says I am very trying at all times.

:)

Tim

Back