Turning Yew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Keen

A true craftsman makes a job look easey
Reaction score
Hi all, Being new to wood turning and having gained information from this web site and watching lots of videos there is one thing that concerns me, I recently chopped down a yew tree and turned the wood when it was green, later on whilst gathering information I read that yew was poisonous and should not be used to make anything that comes into contact with food. So my question is "Is it dangerous to turn yew, and is there any other wood that should be avoided" Luckily, not having a garage or workshop I have to work outside so hopefully didn't breath in too much dust.

All kinds of wood can cause sensitisation, and respiratory issues arise from all manner of fine dust. I find these days any exposure to softwood dust causes me sinus issues.

If you are careful to use suitable respiratory protection equipment (RPE) and good dust extraction/chip collection you will mitigate many of the risks.

Turning wet wood can end up feeling more like taking a shower, so a suitable smock and visor, along with something to protect the lathe bed, might be worth considering. Pole lathe turners have historically used the more benign woods, beech, ash and sycamore for example, and turn at lower speeds so there is less of an issue with green wood

I realise this sounds like a very risk-averse post but the effects of exposure are gradual, rarely reversible, and can be truly debilitating, so better to get in good habits early on

Apologies if I'm teaching the sucking of eggs

All kinds of wood can cause sensitisation, and respiratory issues arise from all manner of fine dust. I find these days any exposure to softwood dust causes me sinus issues.

If you are careful to use suitable respiratory protection equipment (RPE) and good dust extraction/chip collection you will mitigate many of the risks.

Turning wet wood can end up feeling more like taking a shower, so a suitable smock and visor, along with something to protect the lathe bed, might be worth considering. Pole lathe turners have historically used the more benign woods, beech, ash and sycamore for example, and turn at lower speeds so there is less of an issue with green wood

I realise this sounds like a very risk-averse post but the effects of exposure are gradual, rarely reversible, and can be truly debilitating, so better to get in good habits early on

Apologies if I'm teaching the sucking of eggs
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer this advice.

As I suffer from COPD I do tend to wear a RPE.
A bit difficult to arrange a dust extraction system but as I work out doors I guess this helps.

Don't normally turn Green wood but got over enthusiastic and had a go. Yes ! your right the front of my bib & brace is solid with wood resin, (not sure if it will wash out)

As a newbe to turning I will always accept advice, and as you say it is better to get into good habits before bad ones,
so thanks again

The dust from yew and laburnum is best avoided but not exactly terminal in small amounts.
Thanks,
I have worked with Yew and Laburnum,
Due to chest problems I wear RPE, and work out doors, So with your comments don't feel too panic stricken, but will certainly take every precaution in future,

Certainly seem to think yew is bad news here Common yew intoxication: a case report - Journal of Medical Case Reports but then he was trying hard to poison himself and made tea with the leaves (needles).
I've turned several things with yew and didn't notice any side effects. Probably be hard to identify anyway what with general old age and decrepitude symptoms. It was 3 year old very dry stuff. I know that leaves etc are supposed to be toxic but maybe the dry wood OK?
I've worked with Iroko and that was really horrible, especially the dust, and ventilation really a good idea.

This prompts a further question, which is - Is it then safe to make food bowls out of yew?
I have some part turned bowl blanks ready for finishing and have wondered if these will be safe to eat out of.
However, I do see on Etsy that some one is selling Yew quaichs , so they at least, must have decided that they are safe to drink out of. :giggle:

This prompts a further question, which is - Is it then safe to make food bowls out of yew?
I have some part turned bowl blanks ready for finishing and have wondered if these will be safe to eat out of.
However, I do see on Etsy that some one is selling Yew quaichs , so they at least, must have decided that they are safe to drink out of. :giggle:
Having recently got hold of a few feet of Yew trunk, this is of interest to me too. I presume that it wouldn't be safe to be used as a fruit bowl etc?

Having recently got hold of a few feet of Yew trunk, this is of interest to me too. I presume that it wouldn't be safe to be used as a fruit bowl etc?
I can't speak for selling it but it's fine. The wood is only a vehicle to carry the finish, anyway.
IMG0079A.jpg
IMG0080A.jpg

Here's my bits of yew. From the logpile. I survived the experience. Doesn't seem to be that risky according to the net, as long as you don't eat it or make tea with the leaves.
Finish - splash linseed oil on, rub it in with your hand, wipe off the excess.

IMG_5303.JPG
IMG_5304.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks,
I have worked with Yew and Laburnum,
Due to chest problems I wear RPE, and work out doors, So with your comments don't feel too panic stricken, but will certainly take every precaution in future,
Funny you mentioned Laburnum, I used this wood as one of my first ventures into wood turning.
Rings 02.jpg

Please don't ask what it is, I just did it as a practise piece

The leaves of Yew are deadly poisonous, just a few sprigs can cause death if ingested. Having said that, a few years ago a drug company was asking for clippings as they could extract a chemotherapy drug from them (Taxol). I think it's been fully synthesised now so there's no need to save your hedge trimmings.
I don't think the wood is likely to be dangerously toxic.

Realistically, turning yew is unlikely to kill you unless you do it for years without protection - and then pretty well any wood can cause serious lung damage, especially if raising fine dust by sanding.
However, the wood is an irritant and if you feel any tingling around eyes or mouth or on your skin, it is very definitely time to reconsider. By the time you realise you've got respiratory issues, it may well be too late and it's good to see the OP being careful from the outset. (Style gurus: should I have said "from the get go"?)
The final paragraph in Tris's post above says a lot including the word irreversible!

Back