What's happened to some of our more illustrious posters?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alf":ukpsaus3 said:
Personally I give a "horse's hoof" (is this a euphemism for something else? New to me)

Cheers, Alf

I think it's just one of my own euphemisms, it doesn't make sense but then none of my euphemisms do, there all gobbledegook (no I don't read Harry Potter) :D

Philly wrote -
We have an anti-social element who have infiltrated the forum and use every opportunity to raise bad feeling.

Adam wrote -
Perhaps this gives people a sense of what has been going on behind the scenes. Its been troll city in here with people using multiple accounts to create havoc in threads

I think in common with many forum members I've been following this thread with some concern and would add a brief comment on the quotes above. I tend to agree with Philly that there appears to an disagreeable element on the forum which may or may not be linked to Adam's quote. If so, how are these multiple accounts created and secondly, ought there to be a forum rule that prevents this from happening?
I would also agree with Byron's comments insofar that the ownership of the site is down ultimately to Charley and it's up to him to have the final say as to who stays or goes.
I've crossed blades with Mr Grim on a number of occasions and whist he undoubtedly 'fired from the hip' more than once, his input was valid and worthwhile, if not sometimes a little skewed, but I do respect Charley's decision.
There are a lot of complex issues under discussion here (both in the open forum and behind the scenes I suspect) and I for one sincerely hope that they can be quickly and amicably resolved and we can all get back to the business of woodwork, at whatever level (professional or amateur) at which we participate - Rob

I would suggest letting this thread run and possibly having other threads gathering members opinions on specific points of how the forums are run.

We did this recently on a photography forum that I moderate on and it provided a lot of useful feedback. Pull the threads once they have served their purpose as continuous self analysis is not a good thing.

I don't like seeing individual moderators named and questioned but talking about the moderation in general can only help steer in the right direction.

When I joined last year I actually spent more time reading (researching purchases and learning) than I do now. Some of the moderating I saw then was astonishing with bans and warnings a regular occurrence over really petty matters. Things have improved since then but from what I've read lately there is a way to go.

I have to say the forum software here does not help matters. The glaring omission is a 'report this message' button next to every post. That would provide members of all levels an easy way to alert a moderator early on if a thread was heading off track or needed watching - thereby enabling a gentler hand on the tiller.

I'd echo that a forum depends on its members and there are a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable people here that are a great asset. I don't see the current situation need threaten the forums future - more an opportunity to get things back on course.

Another small addition to the site that I think would help in reducing the number of spats and quibbles would be an 'ignore' function that some forums have. This would make it easier for those who have a personal problem with a member to avoid getting riled or targeted.

kenny.png

Oh no! They banned Jacob.

(ps. please stop banning Jacob, it's not funny anymore)

ByronBlack":1pzklwp1 said:
Just a small point which I think is in danger of being missed; Tony did not ban Jacob, depsite their spat, that was not the result of the ban as far as I can tell from Charley's response, so I think it's a little unfair for the direction of the thread to head that way.

He didn't ban him, but his actions in that thread (as a poster, and then using his moderator's powers) clearly (in my view) lead to the 'offence' that resulted in the ban.

Adam":1mqys8pi said:
Perhaps this gives people a sense of what has been going on behind the scenes. Its been troll city in here with people using multiple accounts to create havoc in threads.

I don't condone that at all. This thread is about Grim, though - is he accused of (a) trolling or (b) having multiple identities?

Neither of those are the reason which has been given for the ban.

I quite agree Jake , Tony had a moment of madness and as far as i saw laid into Jacob , i actually called jacob on the phone to confirm i had seen what Tony had said as he removed the post when i went back to look . I got a warning and told to read the rules or i will be banned . When i asked Tony if he had a warning for the attack on Jacob he said it didnt happen and i've had pms from him saying he can remove posts if he likes as he is a poster aswell . Fair point there Tony but dont warn me over mentioning moderator actions if your posting as a forum member and not a moderator .
Anyway this is all getting a bit to like a class room for me and i aint into that !
Nothing against Tony BTW I just think he went over the top and added fuel to a good forum member getting banned . Pm sent Tony .

Hi Scrit

Scrit":7dt7vz7b said:
The big problem with the Internet is that "all comments are of similar worth", allegedly, and it can be extremely frustrating to give advice based on sound theory and practical experience only to see someone else steam in full of hot air and fury to denigrate one's expertise - the same expertise, very often, which one calls on to earn a living.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Do you think it would add gravitas to your postings if you, and your fellow professionals, were given the title of Professional Woodworker?

Cheers,
Neil

The obvious problem with that is how do you confirm that someone is professional? I'm professional 50% (roughly) of the time. It would probably create more problems than it would solve.

Also, who's to say the professional are more able or more knowledgable than an amateur in a particular field? I don't think we should go down the route of seperating those who do it for a job and those who don't. I don't think it matters what ones does for their job, it's their knowledge, skill and craftmaship that matters.

I don't think that will help as no one knows it all do they . I've learnt loads from this forum and try to give it back . Some of the guys on here have a better workshop than me and i make a living from it . I've also learnt alot from them . Just because you earn a living from it doesnt make you a know it all .

Carter":1cw86t3l said:
Do you think it would add gravitas to your postings if you, and your fellow professionals, were given the title of Professional Woodworker?

If anyone wants it to be known that they are a professional woodworker (full-time, part-time, once-upon-a-time, or retired) they only have to add it to their profile :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Scrit":2rbgdbck said:
The big problem with the Internet is that "all comments are of similar worth", allegedly, and it can be extremely frustrating to give advice based on sound theory and practical experience only to see someone else steam in full of hot air and fury to denigrate one's expertise - the same expertise, very often, which one calls on to earn a living. In fact at times some of the comments directed at me and my fellow tradesmen are downright insulting (if only of my trade rather than of me personally) and not something that people in the so-called professionals would tolerate.

Scrit

Bit off topic but if you are refering to my saying your comments on the bandsaw thread were "unkind and unfair" then I apologise if I caused you any offence.
I certainly was not "steaming in" (nor was I furious!) it was a considered response based on my belief that the "lowest common denominator" attitude to safety (and most things really) is unhealthy. Maybe I didn't express myself as well as I could but I was questioning why that cut was unsafe for that individual with that bandsaw.
The view that because a technique that would be clearly unsafe for an untrained novice is by definition therefore unsafe for someone with skill and experience is clearly absurd.
Neither do I buy into the notion that because the internet is all pervasive we need to somehow sensure what we put on there because someone without the necessary skill and experience may try to emulate it. To do so credits the vast majority of people with a lot less sense than they have. And for the few that have no sense well they have a better than even chance of injuring themselves no matter what is on the internet.

Cheers

Grahame

Well I've just worked a straight 24 hours in an attempt to get a restaurant opened to deadline and really feel like "shooting from the hip"
As Scrit said professionals tend to be a little more abrasive and we probably have more experience.
But when I read this forum I consider everyone an equal until I decide that particular members are either stirrers or have no idea.
It's simple, as in life there are people you don't like even though you see them every day, just ignore them, don't read their replies and you won't be antagonised.
There are members who don't like me or my humour( I know they've told me so)
But I will not lower myself to petty attacks against them, it would be too easy.
Let's get back to an open, friendly forum and make it one that shouldn't need moderation.

Dom

Dom - I couldn't agree more.

To my mind, Mr G was so funny I used to read his posts just for a laugh. But if others don't appreciate his dry sense of humour then I can understand.

My best friend is the most dry witted person I have ever met. But it has got him into so much trouble, even with complete strangers.

It is often said that e-mail (and, logically, forums of this nature) are very impersonal. The Emoticons may offer some sense of feeling, but it is incredibly easy for people to misconstrue postings.

Cheers

Karl

Jake":1lkk7m4e said:
Adam":1lkk7m4e said:
Perhaps this gives people a sense of what has been going on behind the scenes. Its been troll city in here with people using multiple accounts to create havoc in threads.

I don't condone that at all. This thread is about Grim, though - is he accused of (a) trolling or (b) having multiple identities?

Neither of those are the reason which has been given for the ban.

Sorry, you are correct, my comments were a general note, rather than identified at any specific member. I was merely noting something than most of you don't realise goes on behind the scenes.

Adam

spadge":3s1hrcpp said:
Bit off topic but if you are refering to my saying your comments on the bandsaw thread were "unkind and unfair" then I apologise if I caused you any offence.
Hopefully I and/or my skin are hopefully thicker than that, Grahame. It was not a specific comment, nor was it based solely on my own experience, as I'm sure some of the other trades contributors would agree. It was a general comment, so there was no need to apologise.

As a case in point the technique in question wasn't "clearly unsafe for an untrained novice", it was downright dangerous for any bandsaw user using any bandsaw as the hands were clearly placed an indeterminate but short distance from a blade. That isn't a nanny state approach, it's just plain common sense (if there is such a thing) or more likely experience and training, and I was, incidentally, not the only professional woodworker to make such a comment. Jacob did as well

Regards

Scrit

One thing that does bother me, and sorry Charley for questioning your actions here, but I was under the impression that private messages were indeed private. I was also under the impression that Jacob only sent a small number of messages (6 I believe he said) to specific people - not really spamming is it?

I think Jake has given a pretty good reason why Jacob would feel the need to start his own group after the attitude he was shown by Tony. Jacob wasn't/isn't trying to over-turn UKW. He just wanted a place to talk to woodworkers after being cast out of this one.

davy_owen_88":6y8wcth4 said:
One thing that does bother me, and sorry Charley for questioning your actions here, but I was under the impression that private messages were indeed private.

Correct. Unless someone copies and pastes the message into a new PM. Moderators / Admin as far as I now have no access to PM's.

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back