What would you do with these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bm101":yibwgrad said:
mseries":yibwgrad said:
make some roller stands or similar for a router table/table saw. Or use them as rollers for moving heavy things such as machines around

Or indeed, tiny versions of Stonehenge. :D

By happy coincidence, my jobs list has just gone up by the number of 1. If you're interested in selling a few, I'd happily reply to a pm. I'm after making a handle for a billhook. I wasn't this morning, now it seems that I am. Such is life.

Smoke and mirrors.

He's actually in an 80s tribute band.

Scribble some notes on a roll of wallpaper, wrap it round these and sell it as an ancient scroll.
Paint them with florescent paint and use them to help passing aircraft park.

seriously, ebay, freecycle, local turning club?

Some interesting and (predictably :D ) less interesting ideas!

Yes Jacob, I do know you can turn round from round, I was refering to turning round into square to make something square (I know what I mean!).

As a relay team only uses one baton I think you'll find that would be twenty teams!

They are not rope ladder rungs.

No further guesses as to original use?

The lighter one would make a great smaller rolling pin I think. I presume there's a good heft to the wood which can help with that job. Although obviously this is not really taking best advantage of the material qualities if it is teak or something similar!

My first thought though was tool handles. But except for really stout turning tools or maybe a slick there'd be a lot of waste.

stuartpaul":pc41tpny said:
No further guesses as to original use?
Are they from a tall ship? :| Something to do with the rigging?

pin.JPG

Attachments

• pin.JPG
    pin.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 41
I'm intrigued.. I'm sure I've seen them tied close together with just an overhand inbetween I just can't for the life of me think where.

Bm101":11pex520 said:
I'm intrigued.. I'm sure I've seen them tied close together with just an overhand inbetween I just can't for the life of me think where.

Make nunchucks and sell them to hipsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, - no one even close although I never really expected it.

In days of old when firefighters were firemen they used to use canvas hoses. These hoses had to be dried after use or they would slowly rot. These rollers were used to support hose from the top of drill towers while they dried. Imagine a hose hanging from it's mid point either side of a roller and you get the idea.

Some had holes in the ends as they were connected to pulleys and hauled up. Others were left in position and a fireman would climb the tower and position the hose.

Nearly all ideas relate to turning and while I do have a lathe I don't currently use it although that might change. I like the idea of salt and pepper shakers and tool handles so for now I'll hang on to them.

The idea of burning them didn't sit comfortably with me and in all probability they would have gone on here FOC.

Now what on earth do I do with the rest of my 'scrap' that's been kept 'just in case'? :shock: :shock:

You could make a ladder with them. Use some nice rope and then you can use it in various places. If you have kids and a big tree, you could build a house tree and use those as a ladder (it might not be very safe, but if your kids are old enough, you could surprise them with this).
Also, if you transform them into a ladder you could try and sell it. I am sure that you'll find someone to sell it to.

Back